What musical genres is it impossible to dislike without being a bigot?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:34:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What musical genres is it impossible to dislike without being a bigot?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What musical genres is it impossible to dislike without being a bigot?  (Read 857 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2021, 04:55:55 PM »

If every single person on Earth who dislikes hip-hop is racist and every single person on Earth who dislikes country is classist, there must be other genres that no non-bigoted person on Earth dislikes. We should compile such a list here.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 05:45:31 PM »

I'm pretty sure that this is about the meme that I posted in the "would you rather be waterboarded or attend a Kanye West concert" thread, and I'm somewhat inclined to explain in more detail than that admittedly flippant image, but honestly the idea of me having such an influence is too amusing to compromise by doing the right thing.

I will note, however, that anyone who dislikes 50s and 60s electroacoustic music is bigoted against me in particular.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 05:28:21 PM »

I'm pretty sure that this is about the meme that I posted in the "would you rather be waterboarded or attend a Kanye West concert" thread, and I'm somewhat inclined to explain in more detail than that admittedly flippant image, but honestly the idea of me having such an influence is too amusing to compromise by doing the right thing.

I will note, however, that anyone who dislikes 50s and 60s electroacoustic music is bigoted against me in particular.

It wasn't just "flippant". It was a truly disgusting and bigoted smear attack on millions of people and one of the most offensive things I've seen here not posted by Trump supporters. If you believe it you are truly one sick person.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 05:39:26 PM »

It was a truly disgusting and bigoted smear attack on millions of people and one of the most offensive things I've seen here not posted by Trump supporters.

Grow up.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 05:53:32 PM »

god, what a snowflake.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 06:03:38 PM »

I mean, it's pretty clear that people who dislike Christian rock are bigoted towards Christians. What other reason could they possibly have for hating such an innovative and dynamic genre of music?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 06:10:45 PM »

yeah people who don’t like rap are definitely racist.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 06:29:20 PM »

Lol

None of us were saying that disliking rap music is racist per se--but having a totally closed mind to rap and crapping on the genre as a whole (as opposed to say, a specific song or artist) feels a little different.

What's wrong with accepting the fact that you could enjoy rap?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 06:40:45 PM »

Lol

None of us were saying that disliking rap music is racist per se

--but having a totally closed mind to rap and crapping on the genre as a whole (as opposed to say, a specific song or artist) feels a little different.

Because it's not true? I've heard tons of it and have yet to enjoy any. How much do I have to listen to before finally making a fair proclamation that it's not for me?
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 06:44:43 PM »

I mean, it's pretty clear that people who dislike Christian rock are bigoted towards Christians. What other reason could they possibly have for hating such an innovative and dynamic genre of music?

Anyone who dislikes Rappin' for Jesus is a massive bigot. In fact, I think that everyone should sing the uncensored chorus out in public just to prove how unbigoted they are.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 07:21:39 PM »

Just accept your racism OP.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 07:26:57 PM »

[This claim about enjoying rap is disputed]
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 07:29:05 PM »

If you dislike numetal you're petite bourgeois
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 08:24:36 PM »

Metal, at least the normal melodic stuff.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2021, 08:40:49 PM »

None. All this crap is just people demanding that everyone like the same music they do. It's high school crybaby crap. You're allowed to not like hip-hop, country, rock or anything else.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2021, 08:42:06 PM »

None. All this crap is just people demanding that everyone like the same music they do. It's high school crybaby crap. You're allowed to not like hip-hop, country, rock or anything else.
Quick question: Do you like numetal?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2021, 09:25:50 PM »

So are you admitting that by being "flippant" that image is a stupid f[inks]ing load of horsesh!t all along? Because it's pissing me off SO F[INKS]ING MUCH.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2021, 09:26:36 PM »

If you think emo sounds like metal, you are a bigot.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2021, 09:38:48 PM »

Lol

None of us were saying that disliking rap music is racist per se--but having a totally closed mind to rap and crapping on the genre as a whole (as opposed to say, a specific song or artist) feels a little different.

Also do you seriously think that stupid and disgustingly condescending image is going to convince people to open their minds and reconsider rap? It's stupid counterproductive bullsh!t.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2021, 11:50:11 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2021, 12:30:13 AM by wants to resurrect the bull moose party »

Anyone who dislikes Rappin' for Jesus is a massive bigot. In fact, I think that everyone should sing the uncensored chorus out in public just to prove how unbigoted they are.

This

Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2021, 01:16:18 AM »

Wait so you hate all rap? How much have you listened to? I'm wondering if you've just listened to modern trap and guest verses in pop songs and found the vibe/lyrical content abrasive or bland. If the more "problematic" lyrics bother you, there's definitely a host of more "conscious" rap. And if the instrumentals bore you or just aren't the right tone, there's rap that's instrumentally more soulful, or experimental, or gritty, or whatever.

The problem with writing off "genres" is that most of them are so wide-ranging. But especially rap. It's really weird to say the Fugees, Lil Pump, and Death Grips are all the "same genre." Could you imagine if we grouped all music with singing as "sung music" and someone was like "ewww I don't want to listen to Marvin Gaye, I don't like sung music" because they didn't like a Green Day song.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2021, 02:16:33 AM »

Wait so you hate all rap? How much have you listened to? I'm wondering if you've just listened to modern trap and guest verses in pop songs and found the vibe/lyrical content abrasive or bland. If the more "problematic" lyrics bother you, there's definitely a host of more "conscious" rap. And if the instrumentals bore you or just aren't the right tone, there's rap that's instrumentally more soulful, or experimental, or gritty, or whatever.

The problem with writing off "genres" is that most of them are so wide-ranging. But especially rap. It's really weird to say the Fugees, Lil Pump, and Death Grips are all the "same genre." Could you imagine if we grouped all music with singing as "sung music" and someone was like "ewww I don't want to listen to Marvin Gaye, I don't like sung music" because they didn't like a Green Day song.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I listen to music primarily for melody. Everything else is secondary. Non-melodic music-- rap, screamo, death metal, etc-- is quite frankly unpleasant to the ear. The rap songs that I have appreciated (which are few) feature interludes of piano, guitar, and other real instruments that manage to break up the monotony of the rest of the piece. However, these segments are typically dragged down by the rest of the song's tiresome runtime.

I enjoy lyrical wordsmithing, but good lyrics cannot salvage a bad melody. Bob Dylan might be considered more of a "poet" than a songwriter, but he backs up his lyrics with memorable, innovative melodies and chord structures. And of course, I have an intense dislike for "music" that doesn't incorporate instruments. I don't consider EDM "music" in the proper sense of the word for this reason. I don't know what people get out of these genres, but I refuse to believe that whatever they experience while listening to that garbage is anywhere close to what one feels while listening to Strauss' Blue Danube, Bach's Brandenburg Concerto #4, Led Zeppelin, Johnny Cash, or any other truly great pieces of music.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2021, 05:44:25 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2021, 05:51:36 AM by Alben Barkley »

I can't speak for anyone else, but I listen to music primarily for melody. Everything else is secondary. Non-melodic music-- rap, screamo, death metal, etc-- is quite frankly unpleasant to the ear. The rap songs that I have appreciated (which are few) feature interludes of piano, guitar, and other real instruments that manage to break up the monotony of the rest of the piece. However, these segments are typically dragged down by the rest of the song's tiresome runtime.

I enjoy lyrical wordsmithing, but good lyrics cannot salvage a bad melody. Bob Dylan might be considered more of a "poet" than a songwriter, but he backs up his lyrics with memorable, innovative melodies and chord structures. And of course, I have an intense dislike for "music" that doesn't incorporate instruments. I don't consider EDM "music" in the proper sense of the word for this reason. I don't know what people get out of these genres, but I refuse to believe that whatever they experience while listening to that garbage is anywhere close to what one feels while listening to Strauss' Blue Danube, Bach's Brandenburg Concerto #4, Led Zeppelin, Johnny Cash, or any other truly great pieces of music.

Kanye unironically does a great job of incorporating melody into his rap. Especially on his earlier albums.

Also all the stuff you mention is good but I think you are comparing apples and oranges here. Different kinds of music can and should serve different purposes and bring about different feelings. With rap, the rhythm and beat (as well as lyrics) often (not always) are more important than the melody, but once you adjust to that and don’t expect it to be something it’s not, you should be able to appreciate it more. Or maybe not, but I still don’t think it’s remotely comparable to death metal (which seems to be just sheer noise without much of any of those qualities).

And a lot of classical snobs would turn their noses down at you for thinking any modern popular music is comparable to Bach in any respect, by the way. It’s all pretty subjective.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2021, 07:11:52 AM »

Hardcore Kpop fans think you are racist for not liking Kpop.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2021, 08:43:42 AM »

What rap music is based on the standard rock music instruments (like Dule i don't like non-instrumental music either including EDM) and uses the "twinkly" guitars and other emo guitar styles or the breakdowns and song structure of hardcore? Because that's what I listen to.

Can you imagine someone rapping over any of these? I can't: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=433746.0
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies