NJ GOV 2025 megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:49:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ GOV 2025 megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NJ GOV 2025 megathread  (Read 7719 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 25, 2021, 06:59:39 PM »

Multimillionaire progressive Democratic Gov. Phil Murphy is likely to be reelected in November 2021, he is seen to be lucky that he will be the first Democratic governor since Brendan Byrne in 1977 to win reelection; his frenemy State Senate President Stephen Sweeney is likely to run for governor in 2025, however, Sweeney may be too white, too Southern and too conservative for Jersey Democrats...Sweeney hails from South Jersey and is a member of the South Jersey political machine...

Sweeney opposes higher taxes on millionaires/billionaires and is seen as uneducated.

https://www.insidernj.com/race-on-smart-money-picks-governor-come-2025/
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 09:34:02 PM »

It's pretty early, isn't it? But I'll bite. Certainly Sweeney is always a contender for statewide politics, but I wouldn't rule out seeing others like Steven Fulop attempt to rise higher.
I wouldn’t mind Steven Fulop. He would probably win by something like a 52-46 margin if I had to guess.

What about Lt. Gov. Sheila Oliver? She would be the first Black governor, first Black female governor and the second female governor....she will probably be the favorite since the NJDP was attacked by a progressive activist for having three white men (Murphy, Sweeney, Coughlin) determining state policy.....there will be pressure for a Black woman to be on the 2025 Democratic ticket....

Fulop may be too green for the job......

https://www.nj.com/politics/2021/06/progressive-activist-says-theres-systemic-racism-in-nj-budget-process-top-lawmaker-wants-apology.html

What about the Republicans? The NJGOP does not want to have Chris Christie as the last person who won a statewide office--in 2013, that election is seen as asterisked or tainted because of Bridgegate.....maybe someone like Jennifer Beck or Ryan Peters or Tommy Russo could be electable.....

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 07:38:45 PM »

Jersey is out of reach for the GOP on a statewide level.

Oliver will be the next Governor if she likes, if not her then IDK who will run.

You sure a good candidate like Ryan Peters, Tommy Russo, Tom Kean Jr., or Jen Beck can't win, or maybe even Jay Webber or Antwan McClellan in 2025 or 2029?

Whitman (1997) and Christie (2009 and 2013) being the last Republicans to win statewide must be something that they don't really want to remember...
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 02:10:12 PM »

Sweeney will do well in South Jersey, but can he do well in Middlesex, etc?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 04:44:53 PM »

Not sure what's funny; Sweeney is the leading contender for the nomination, especially since Fulop has already declined, and the fact that he's announcing so early emphasizes that. Have to assume these replies have no idea how NJ politics work.

I would also give Baraka, Oliver, and Scutari a decent shot.

Do you think Ras Baraka can play well in the suburbs?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 07:06:24 PM »

Not sure what's funny; Sweeney is the leading contender for the nomination, especially since Fulop has already declined, and the fact that he's announcing so early emphasizes that. Have to assume these replies have no idea how NJ politics work.

I would also give Baraka, Oliver, and Scutari a decent shot.

Do you think Ras Baraka can play well in the suburbs?

No.

If Baraka can't, why could Booker? Booker won Morris in 2020.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 09:55:27 AM »

I think if Biden wins re-election in 2024, Booker will jump in the 2025 gov race and set himself up for a pres run in 2032.

I also think Steven Fulop and Sheila Oliver could run too.

Fulop is probably not running. I can see Assemblyman Raj Muhkerji, a young rising star, running as well. He is South Asian, he is wickedly smart and attractive, handsome, he could do well. However, I see him more as a running mate to Sweeney as geographical balance.

South Jersey has not had their own governor since Florio. South Jersey needs representation as well.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2021, 04:39:59 PM »

Norcross is a Reagan Democrat.

I admire Norcross's political skills, but he should pass the torch of the South Jersey Democratic Party to someone else.

He is the face of corruption, and I believe he is a Mar-a-Lago member and a friend of Donald Trump.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 08:50:15 PM »

He doesn't have enough black base support to win

Sweeney does, and Sweeney will eliminate a lot of useless municipalities that drive up property taxes

Lean D

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 09:00:11 PM »

He doesn't have enough black base support to win

Sweeney does, and Sweeney will eliminate a lot of useless municipalities that drive up property taxes

Lean D

Sweeney plans to eliminate municipalities? Could be useful in Camden and Bergen counties but that’s a bold idea.

He has been pushing this since he was Senate President but Christie and Murphy backtracked from their campaign promises.

Could be useful in all 21 counties. Especially Bergen, Monmouth, Middlesex and Morris.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 10:31:52 AM »

I would run as an Independent. NJ is too party entrenched
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2023, 06:30:40 PM »

We have too much Goldman Sachs pols in NJ

Corzine, Murphy, Fulop?

I think it is time for a South Jersey Democrat to be governor again. Too many North Jerseyans. Time for a regional balance.

We haven't had a South Jersey governor since Jim Florio

Steve Sweeney would be okay, he might be too conservadem socially for the party and too Southern...but if he picks a Black/Latino LG from the North, it would be a good ticket.

For Republicans, if Biden wins reelection, the best Republican would be someone new and fresh.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2023, 05:18:34 PM »

Any chance Shelia Oliver runs? I think she could be formidable and could tout she’s been acting governor on multiple occasions.

What about Ras Baraka?

I don't think Oliver wants the job, anything else, she would probably be Donald Payne Jr.'s successor if she primaries him in 2024 or 2026 or something

Ras Baraka would probably lose a general because Republicans would tie him to his father's rhetoric, like Hakeem Jeffries' uncle.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2023, 07:22:02 PM »

Any chance Shelia Oliver runs? I think she could be formidable and could tout she’s been acting governor on multiple occasions.

What about Ras Baraka?

I don't think Oliver wants the job, anything else, she would probably be Donald Payne Jr.'s successor if she primaries him in 2024 or 2026 or something

Ras Baraka would probably lose a general because Republicans would tie him to his father's rhetoric, like Hakeem Jeffries' uncle.

Why don't you think she wants it? I think Congress would be a downgrade for her.

Would would Baraka lose?

She is probably too old, I don't think she wants it, and she may want to retire to private life.

Baraka would be too radical for NJ's electorate....Republicans will bring up his father.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies