6 dead in shooting at Christian elementary school in Nashville (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 03:52:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  6 dead in shooting at Christian elementary school in Nashville (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 6 dead in shooting at Christian elementary school in Nashville  (Read 8148 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« on: March 27, 2023, 12:30:14 PM »

RIP to all of the victims.

I'm numb to this stuff at this point. Nothing will change and many gun-owning Americans prioritize their guns over the lives of their fellow Americans - so it is what it is.

Moving to Canada gets more and more appealing as I've said before. If only it were easier to immigrate to Canada from America.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 02:12:43 PM »

The "greatest" country on Earth, folks.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 08:20:59 PM »

Well, this shooting has touched all of the major culture war topics raging in America right now.

Meanwhile, the tragedy of 6 dead Americans (including 3 children) & the high availability of guns in this country will fall by the wayside - as per usual.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 08:27:37 PM »

It has nothing to do with abortion except posters disliking one another's rhetorical choices and making the whole thread about them. In the beginning was the Discourse.
Yeah, I know. I wasn't talking about abortion or those posts.

The shooter & shooting itself hit all of the culture war craze.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 09:02:56 PM »

I was across the street from a mass shooting a few months ago, it happened in a building I had a class in the next day, and in a building I had been in 30 minutes earlier eating dinner. I’m not the one bringing politics into a tragedy. There are certain inalienable rights bestowed to everyone in the United States and the right to bare arms is one of them.
*The 2A is NOT absolute (despite what many ammosexuals want to believe).

*Amendments can be repealed or changed. That's literally the point of amendments.

*Outside of a fringe group of people, no one is calling for all guns to be banned. Just certain ones and with more regulations before being able to purchase a gun.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 09:46:37 PM »

No conservative has showed up in this thread to say anything like you’re implying.  The motivations of a mass shooter are a relevant topic of discussion, trans or not.  You’re the one making partisan hay out of the story. 
Well, check social media then...because that's all that is happening right now. Conservatives focusing on the shooter being trans and NOT the shooting itself.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 09:12:13 AM »

Another element that people forget in these shootings is that even the kids that weren't harmed or killed will deal with PTSD and other traumatic effects of this for decades (and they may end up in ANOTHER mass shooting in their lifetime).

But nothing will change, this country will move on without a hitch. Disgusting.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 11:23:16 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2023, 12:14:56 PM by ηєω ƒяσηтιєя »

The "pro-life" party, ladies & gentleman. Want to ban abortion in order to "stop babies from being murdered" but then say "We're not gonna fix it" when children are LITERALLY being murdered.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 12:34:55 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2023, 12:38:42 PM by ηєω ƒяσηтιєя »

To be fair, mass killings have also increased in frequency in Canada, which has much stricter gun laws.  Several of these have involved firearms.

Just in the last few years we have seen...

Dec 8/22: 6 killed by gun in Vaughan, Ontario
Sep 4/22: 11 killed by knife in Saskatchewan
Jun 6/22: 4 killed by truck in London, Ontario
Apr 18/20: 22 killed by gun in Nova Scotia
Apr 15/19: 4 killed by gun in Penticton, BC
Jul 22/18: 2 killed and 15 injured by gun in Toronto
Apr 23/18: 11 killed by truck in Toronto
Jan 29/17: 6 killed by gun in Quebec City
The Vaughn shooting (while still horrific) was a targeted shooting over a legal dispute (and a mentally ill shooter). It wasn't the randomized kind of mass shooting that people are more worried about.

You are correct that Canada isn't immune from gun violence or mass shootings. Still way better than the US by far - it's not even close.

So to say that it is entirely unique to the United States is not true.  That said, these events do occur with greater frequency in America due to the country's lax firearm laws and overall "gun culture" that doesn't exist in other Western states.  But I think there is more at play here.

Would passing legislation to ban these guns prevent these shootings, or is violence and gun culture so engrained in the American psyche that these laws would end up being ignored?
My hypothesis:

*American gun culture (the gun worshipping and 2nd Amendment absolutism from many Americans)

*Mental illness problems (lack of adequate treatment for mentally ill Americans and mentally ill people can still legally buy guns)

*Hyper-individualism (this toxic mindset of selfishness and a lack of empathy for others is way too persuasive in the American ethos)

All of these 3 things combined with the higher availability of guns to create the gun violence/mass shooting problem here in America.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2023, 03:51:46 PM »

1. So what would be an effective deterrent for school shooters?

This one seems very easy. Making it almost impossible to get a gun would be a very effective deterrent for school shooters.

That’s impossible, so a non starter. You might as well say just making people think shooting up schools is bad would stop school shootings.
No, it is not impossible. Every other developed country has done it, but the United States can't. Supposedly, the "greatest" country in the world?

If that's the case, then that means the United States is a worthless country and that Americans are depraved individuals.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 03:58:44 PM »

1. So what would be an effective deterrent for school shooters?

This one seems very easy. Making it almost impossible to get a gun would be a very effective deterrent for school shooters.

That’s impossible, so a non starter. You might as well say just making people think shooting up schools is bad would stop school shootings.
No, it is not impossible. Every other developed country has done it, but the United States can't. Supposedly, the "greatest" country in the world?

If that's the case, then that means the United States is a worthless country and that Americans are depraved individuals.

What other developed countries have made it near-impossible to own a gun?

And which of those countries had 400 million guns in circulation, virtually all of which were unregistered?
Japan? South Korea? UK? Australia? I could go on - gun laws are extremely strict in those countries.

The second statement is an excuse.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 04:28:58 PM »

It’s not near impossible to get a gun in the UK or Australia. Millions of people in those countries own guns.
Semantics. It's still not nearly as easy as in many states in this country.

The second statement is not an excuse, it’s the reality we live in. Guns are a destructive force, I don’t deny that, but at the end of the day, our country has a lot of guns, and no government policy can change that fact.
A nationwide gun buyback program and a nationwide semi-automatic rifle ban would work.

For all gun purchases: extensive background checks, license/permit requirements and a ban on documented mentally ill people from being able to buy guns.

All of that would reduce the amount of guns in this country AND the amount of gun violence.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2023, 08:01:07 PM »

I ended up on a dark corner TikTok, and the toxic and belligerent ignorance that continues to be shown regarding why guns culture in America isn’t a problem has really made me doubt whether there is any saving to be done for America. In the past there would at least be some quiet shame for some period of time. But the way these gun nuts are outright mocking people who are upset over this tragedy in total trump fashion cuts through to my soul. What a cancer we have in this society that will never allow for us to act to make things better.
I agree. It's sickening.

I don't think that I'm staying in this country for the long term. It's such a difficult process to leave this country, though. Sigh.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2023, 12:04:24 AM »

Mass shootings are literally a daily event and people are so desensitized now it just becomes another statistic.   Even Joe Biden, he opened his first public address after the shooting like it was comedy night in America, and the whole audience was laughing while he talked about his fridge filled with ice cream.  It’s not Twitter or USGD, America is broken.
Mass shootings happen way too often but they aren't daily events.

The "mass shooting" classification is very broad legally (I talked about this in the AR-15 thread) but the public mass shootings that most people think of don't happen daily. The rate they happen at is still unacceptable though.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2023, 02:58:07 PM »

"Just arm the teachers"

So you're telling me that teachers aren't all John Wick? *pretends to be shocked*
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies