Is Capitalism Just? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:28:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is Capitalism Just? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is Capitalism Just?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Is Capitalism Just?  (Read 3875 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: September 10, 2005, 03:57:58 AM »

The concept of 'justice' implies a belief in objective morality, which of coure is nothing but a fiction belived in by individual subjectivities.

However I voted 'no' simply because it is not beneficial for the great majority of people.  Of course when harnessed by very high taxes, redistributionist government programs, a comfortable social safety net, and stringent labour regulations, it could be marginally tolerable for most people.  In other words the sort of thing approximated in the USA of the 1960's or the current situation upon the Continent.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 04:05:39 AM »

Yes capitalism is just, and the only moral economic system, as well as that which produces most results.

And the 'most results' that it produces are vast wealth for a tiny minority and servile toil for the rest.  How is that different from, say, ancient Egypt, feudal Europe, or any other social heirarchy in the history of man?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 01:03:18 AM »

"My country owes me nothing. It gave me, as it gives every boy and girl, a chance. It gave me schooling, independence of action, opportunity for service and honor. In no other land could a boy from a country village, without inheritance or influential friends, look forward with unbounded hope."
- Herbert Hoover

No wonder the lower classes were so angry at Hoover during the Depression - the man persisted in peddling Horatio Alger nonsense.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 05:59:58 PM »

I should also point out that even the poorest under pure capitalism still tend to have a better life than the average person in communist systems.

This is obviously false. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 04:57:31 PM »

The difference between Capitalism and all the other oppressive systems of heirarchical social organization is high exaggerated.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 11:28:08 PM »

Capitalism can not be 'oppressive,' because it is not coercive.

Of course it is.  Have you ever noticed the Police?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 11:51:11 PM »

1. What exactly do the police have to do with theoretical discussions on the merits of an economic philosophy?

2. Conversely, have you ever noticed the police in Marxist countries?

Of course.  The police are there for the same reason in any country, to use force in order to maintain a social heirarchy in which some classes have power and material wealth, and others are controlled.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No.  My initial revelation was that the GOP was the party of the religious and a great threat to my sexual freedoms.  My economic views haven't actually changed - I had always felt that laissez-faire capitalism only benefited the owning class.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 01:14:30 AM »

1. What exactly do the police have to do with theoretical discussions on the merits of an economic philosophy?

Of course.  The police are there for the same reason in any country, to use force in order to maintain a social heirarchy in which some classes have power and material wealth, and others are controlled.

So, what, you're arguing that we shouldn't have a police force?

What would make you think that?  I was just describing the purpose of the police.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 06:03:53 PM »

So, what, you're arguing that we shouldn't have a police force?

What would make you think that?  I was just describing the purpose of the police.

Your ignorance made me think that - it fits in with all the other crap that you come up with. You seem to have a rather negative(and ignorant) view of the police, which are a pretty important thing in any society class structure or no. The purpose of the police is to chase down criminals who break the law, no other purpose. Arguably the law could be made to preserve people's class, but in the U.S. that is not the case and you are a complete idiot for thinking it is.

No, the law is clearly designed - in fact almost its entire purpose in practice is - to maintain the current class status quo.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies