Mississippi Senate election, 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:24:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Mississippi Senate election, 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Cochran (D)

Cochran (R)

Cochran (I/O)

Childers (D)

Childers (R)

Childers (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Mississippi Senate election, 2014  (Read 1679 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« on: July 04, 2014, 09:12:10 AM »

If I thought Cochran would serve a whole term, he'd have my support.

But I doubt it, so I'll be voting Childers. That is of course subject to change if Childers starts campaigning for an Obamacare repeal or something, but I doubt he'll do that.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 09:53:53 AM »

i would vote for the one who isnt a right wing democrat.  cochran, who is pretty decent for a southern republican.

Childers is 50 points more liberal by ACU score. There isn't a single issue where Cochran is to Childers' left.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 02:52:10 PM »

i would vote for the one who isnt a right wing democrat.  cochran, who is pretty decent for a southern republican.

Childers is 50 points more liberal by ACU score. There isn't a single issue where Cochran is to Childers' left.

okay,  then again, childers is wrong on important issues like privatizing ss.

You support privatizing social security?  That's ... weird, but even so, Childers is certainly closer to you politically, even with your oddball pet issues getting extra weight.

The only left-of-centers who have any reason to not be 100% behind Childers are the ones who live in Mississippi.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 05:14:53 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2014, 05:16:34 PM by Harry »

you support the government taking money out of your paycheck with just an 'iou' to pay you back with no interest when youre an oldster?

Yes. (normal). And I expect nothing in return -- it's a social responsibility thing. People who already have their retirement in order (which I have set up with a 401K that I put 10% of my paycheck into) shouldn't get Social Security.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 05:52:17 PM »

you support the government taking money out of your paycheck with just an 'iou' to pay you back with no interest when youre an oldster?

Yes. (normal). And I expect nothing in return -- it's a social responsibility thing. People who already have their retirement in order (which I have set up with a 401K that I put 10% of my paycheck into) shouldn't get Social Security.

they shouldnt get the money that paid in?

No, that's not how Social Security works. Current workers pay for current retirees. Nobody is paying for themselves in the future. When its your turn to get Social Security, your check will come from the paychecks of future workers -- not your past self.

As for your direct question, no, I don't think it makes any sense for the government to send a check to people who are already getting a much bigger retirement checks from their own accounts. Unfortunately, I do not have the numbers on how much money this would save.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 06:02:19 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2014, 06:04:50 PM by Harry »

soon there will be more retirees than workers.  of course democrats prefer to scare seniors than reform the system.

Um, false? Did you "learn" that in one of those Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: emails?  The official Social Security website doesn't project it to ever fall below 2 workers per retiree, and we're decades away from that.

ETA: Here's Politifact's take on the ratio issue.

And reform is fine (for example not giving benefits to people who don't need them). But privatization is a terrible idea.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 09:51:09 PM »

No reason whatsoever that any Democrat should support Cochran over Childers, and no reason any actual moderate independent should either unless they're just in it for the pork.

If I lived in MS, I'd vote for Cochran. People in places like Mississippi can't afford to vote based on boutique ideology. They need all the seniority they can get.

Agreed, but it's pretty unlikely that we'll Cochran will serve out his whole term. He already doesn't want to be there now -- he's not going to be a Byrd for us.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies