Republican South Carolina Primary results thread (polls close @7pm ET)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 03:39:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Republican South Carolina Primary results thread (polls close @7pm ET)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 27
Author Topic: Republican South Carolina Primary results thread (polls close @7pm ET)  (Read 61704 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2016, 05:56:10 PM »

To vote or not to vote, that is the question.  I think it's pretty clear that Rubio will outpace both Kasich and Bush by a significant margin, so the race will boil down to those three.  If Kasich were the one outpacing Rubio and Bush, I'd definitely vote today, but I'm not certain that Rubio needs my vote as much as Kasich would have.  But the numbers from the Nevada caucus would seem to indicate that Hillary will eventually win out over Bernie, so voting next Saturday won't do much either.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2016, 05:58:04 PM »

Let's all take a moment and remember that regardless of what the results are, Marco Rubio is the true winner today.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2016, 05:58:56 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2016, 06:01:31 PM by True Federalist »

Also, what's up with this... I could have sworn there were several other dropped candidates on the Republican side...

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=229608.0

Yeah, there was like 14 people who were still on the ballot... did they just remove those candidates from the ballots before they were printed (no mention of doing something like this on the P2016 website)?

While only two withdrew in time to get their filing fees back, the others who withdrew/suspended were also removed from the Republican ballot.  It looks like O'Malley will still be on the Democratic ballot because the Dems have different rules on what to do when a candidate suspends their campaign.
Nathan Towne
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.03, S: -3.13

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2016, 06:00:41 PM »

To vote or not to vote, that is the question.  I think it's pretty clear that Rubio will outpace both Kasich and Bush by a significant margin, so the race will boil down to those three.  If Kasich were the one outpacing Rubio and Bush, I'd definitely vote today, but I'm not certain that Rubio needs my vote as much as Kasich would have.  But the numbers from the Nevada caucus would seem to indicate that Hillary will eventually win out over Bernie, so voting next Saturday won't do much either.

As a registered voter are you only permitted to vote in one of the two primaries in South Carolina? It sounds like you elected not to vote today.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2016, 06:01:06 PM »

I think Clinton winning in NV might marginally help Rubio since polls are still open in SC.
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2016, 06:01:53 PM »

How long until we get results?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2016, 06:02:08 PM »

I think Clinton winning in NV might marginally help Rubio since polls are still open in SC.

Why would Clinton winning in NV help Rubio?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2016, 06:03:35 PM »

As a registered voter are you only permitted to vote in one of the two primaries in South Carolina? It sounds like you elected not to vote today.

I still have another hour to get to the polls.  And yes, one can vote in only one primary for a particular election, even if the primaries are held on different days.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2016, 06:03:43 PM »

Rubio being seen as more electable versus a mainstream Dem will be more important.  If Sanders is the Dem candidate than it gives the GOP to go with its more extreme candidates, helping Trump or Cruz.
Nathan Towne
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2016, 06:04:42 PM »

I think that he is saying that people may vote for Rubio rather than their preferred candidate, like Trump or Cruz due to fear that neither of them can beat her in November. Many people believe (including myself) that Rubio is generally more electable than either of them.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2016, 06:05:04 PM »

Because if Hillary wins the primary, it is more important to have an actual electable Republican as GOP nominee. Trump or Cruz could win against Sanders, but probably not against Hillary.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2016, 06:06:17 PM »

Polls close at 4 PT/7ET, I would expect results to probably to start to  trickle in 15-20 minutes after.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2016, 06:07:23 PM »

Will Trump be projected the winner at the poll closing?
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2016, 06:07:26 PM »

Will the news orgs call it for TRUMP the moment polls close?
Nathan Towne
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2016, 06:08:01 PM »

Alright. South Carolina is a gorgeous state. Even though it was a beautiful day up here today there are plenty of days during the Winter in which I wish I lived where you do. Smiley

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2016, 06:09:19 PM »

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/20/politics/south-carolina-exit-polls/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2016, 06:09:30 PM »

In South Carolina, shabbat ends at 6:46 PM. Who came up with the idea that voting on Saturday until 7 PM is acceptable? Not that there are many Orthodox Jews in South Carolina afaik, but this still disenfranchises them.

I don't think there are many now, but South Carolina actually had the largest Jewish population of anywhere in the country until the 1830s; they were mostly Sephardim. Charleston has a pretty prominent place in American Jewish history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Charleston,_South_Carolina
Very interesting, thanks!
Nathan Towne
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2016, 06:09:33 PM »

Is it appearing that way at the moment? What tells you that he is so clearly winning?
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2016, 06:09:45 PM »

I think that he is saying that people may vote for Rubio rather than their preferred candidate, like Trump or Cruz due to fear that neither of them can beat her in November. Many people believe (including myself) that Rubio is generally more electable than either of them.

Hes not.  
Cruz however does have a ceiling  more so than Trump whos basically a independent running on the gops side
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2016, 06:10:05 PM »

CNN will probably say it's "too early to call."
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2016, 06:10:34 PM »

Is it appearing that way at the moment? What tells you that he is so clearly winning?

He has a double digit lead going into today, so it seems plausible to call the state for him the moment polls close.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2016, 06:10:39 PM »

Will Trump be projected the winner at the poll closing?

I would guess it depends on what exit polls say, If they show a 6+ point lead for Trump then probably yes. A  Trump lead that is less then 5, or a lead by another candidate they  probably \will hold off on making a call. Keep in mind they may call the State right away but may not call individual CD until later on.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2016, 06:12:05 PM »

If Trump is truly winning SC, and that could very well happen, then I don't see why he would not win the nomination, unfortunately.
Nathan Towne
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2016, 06:12:33 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2016, 06:14:42 PM by Nathan Towne »

In South Carolina, shabbat ends at 6:46 PM. Who came up with the idea that voting on Saturday until 7 PM is acceptable? Not that there are many Orthodox Jews in South Carolina afaik, but this still disenfranchises them.

I don't think there are many now, but South Carolina actually had the largest Jewish population of anywhere in the country until the 1830s; they were mostly Sephardim. Charleston has a pretty prominent place in American Jewish history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Charleston,_South_Carolina
Very interesting, thanks!

Yes, South Carolina (Charleston in particular) used to have an extremely large Jewish population relative to other states/cities. Judah Benjamin, for example, comes immediately to mind as someone who grew up in Charleston in the early 19th century.
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2016, 06:13:04 PM »

Polls close at 4 PT/7ET, I would expect results to probably to start to  trickle in 15-20 minutes after.

So in a hour?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies