2010 Federal Stimulus Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:25:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  2010 Federal Stimulus Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: 2010 Federal Stimulus Act (Law'd)  (Read 14879 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2010, 12:40:20 AM »

Right. I'm thinking it will cost a lot more than the $3 billion figure. I am basically proposing we overhaul and revamp the entire national transportation infrastructure. It may be too much to take on right now due to the cost of the project.
This is what I wanted to do and that's why I was supporting the committee to do so... but you guys shot me down on that.

And I want a network built specifically for high speed rail (speeds of 200+mph).  Regional trains traveling up to 125mph can travel on existing lines with minimal upgrades and advanced signaling technology.  Those would be diesel-electric units while the high speed would be electric units that draw power from a catenary.. which is necessary to reduce weight and provide the kinds of power needed to accelerate to such high speeds.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2010, 03:28:59 AM »

Right. I'm thinking it will cost a lot more than the $3 billion figure. I am basically proposing we overhaul and revamp the entire national transportation infrastructure. It may be too much to take on right now due to the cost of the project.
This is what I wanted to do and that's why I was supporting the committee to do so... but you guys shot me down on that.

And I want a network built specifically for high speed rail (speeds of 200+mph).  Regional trains traveling up to 125mph can travel on existing lines with minimal upgrades and advanced signaling technology.  Those would be diesel-electric units while the high speed would be electric units that draw power from a catenary.. which is necessary to reduce weight and provide the kinds of power needed to accelerate to such high speeds.

What did I say about the "up to figure".

This is where I wish my brother were available, unfortunately he is asleep. Tongue

For a variety of reasons, thouse "regional trains running on existing tracks" would not maintain average speeds above 90, more or less 125. And I wouldn't push a diesel-electric that hard on a regular basis either.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2010, 04:28:54 PM »

We can get this project done without having a committee to do it. We are a committee, a committee of Senators! Embrace your title!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2010, 05:55:03 PM »

Yes but this isn't the place to hash out completely our rail policy. It is to stimulate the economy. So I am thinking we should include what the SoIA proposed, just change some of the wording a little bit so that we know its a start on a much larger affair. I will take a look at doing that tonight sometime.

Are there other items for Section 2.

Then we should move on to Section 3 which will be tax relief. Marokai gave next to nothing last year in terms of tax relief to encourage investment or business expansion, and wow we are once again in a downward spiral. If we had different demographics electorally this is where someone would come in and say "Gov't isn't the solution to our problem, Gov't is the problem" and then move the country to the right. Grin Alas the people of this game are so smart they are dumb so it won't happen. Tongue

We have a lot of options. The items put in the RL tax extention compromise like a temporary payroll tax cut and/or expensing should be considered. As well as exempting some amount of unemployment from taxation. If anybody has any other ideas, I will be interested in hearing them. 
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2010, 06:00:42 PM »

Yes but this isn't the place to hash out completely our rail policy. It is to stimulate the economy. So I am thinking we should include what the SoIA proposed, just change some of the wording a little bit so that we know its a start on a much larger affair. I will take a look at doing that tonight sometime.

Good idea. A larger debate on the rail policy can go on later. Those can simply be initial investments.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2010, 11:34:51 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2010, 11:38:03 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

I offer and accept the following amendment to the bill.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Senators have 24 hours to object.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2010, 03:06:41 AM »

The amendment has passed. And half you guys should be fired immediately. Tongue
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2010, 11:58:20 AM »

Could we maybe add Nyman into the Mideast section of the railway section?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2010, 09:31:13 PM »

Could we maybe add Nyman into the Mideast section of the railway section?

You want to offer an amendment to do that?

Six days and nothing, no discussion. I realize it was Christmas, but god damn you people suck. Tongue
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2010, 12:01:12 AM »

I'd like to propose an amendment to add $200 million for permanent flood mitigation projects along the Red River Valley in North Dakota and Minnesota as well as for towns affected by the rising Devil's Lake in North Dakota.

I'll write up the official amendment later... but with the likelihood that Fargo/Moorhead may be fighting a 3rd consecutive major flood this spring, a permanent solution is needed.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »

UNEMPLOYMENT CONTINUES TO RISE; REACHES 9%

The Atlasian GM's Office announces that national unemployment has reached 9.0% as of December, up 0.2% from last month. Likewise, the Regional unemployment numbers for December have had to be similarly readjusted to account for heavy job losses during the latter part of the month. The post holiday shedding of jobs has far exceeded seasonal adjustments, indicating businesses may be planning retrenchment rather than expansion during the foreseeable future.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2010, 01:58:54 AM »

Following up on my initial comment in this thread, what's the status of the food stamps expansion in this bill as of now?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2010, 06:09:05 PM »

Would it be wise to pass this before the current Senate ends?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2010, 07:16:43 PM »

I want to throw my two cents in, which some might consider to be a monkey wrench. Due to recession creating a slump in tax receipts and increased demand for government services, every region is facing a likely significant budget deficit this coming fiscal year. This applies even to the most "small government" minded regions, as I assume their tax levels are related to their spending levels, and thus still affected by the recession.

The exact numbers are of course still unknown as currently only the Mideast, to its credit, is working out any sort of budget. It is my firm hope that once the Mideast budget is created as a model, that we can strongly encourage other regions to similarly keep even a basic ledger of how much taxes it raises from what sources (sales, income, etc) and how much it spends and on what (roads, prisons, governor's mistress, etc.). For now suffice to say regional governments will face considerable deficits in direct relation to its unemployment (sorry Pacific Sad; don't get cocky Midwest---7.2% unemployment still sucks Tongue).

My point regarding this bill is it may be difficult until regional budgets are crafted later next year to determine exactly where regional government coffers are lacking. This is just a point to remember for both regions and the federal government regarding specifying what stimulus funds are to be spent on, as well as their amount. Yes, the federal government can modify this package later if the region's needs are found to be different than first thought, but otherwise flexability may be much more important here than initially thought.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2010, 10:42:09 PM »

I offer and accept the following amendment to the bill.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I amended it as suggested to include Nyman.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2010, 11:16:58 PM »

Next time try not to include the quotes from another poster. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2010, 11:21:10 PM »

Following up on my initial comment in this thread, what's the status of the food stamps expansion in this bill as of now?

Why don't you check the posts on the first page following yours on the matter. Tongue

It would certainly be beneficial but in terms of wise, I don't know since that is pretty vague.

I'd like to propose an amendment to add $200 million for permanent flood mitigation projects along the Red River Valley in North Dakota and Minnesota as well as for towns affected by the rising Devil's Lake in North Dakota.

I'll write up the official amendment later... but with the likelihood that Fargo/Moorhead may be fighting a 3rd consecutive major flood this spring, a permanent solution is needed.

Sounds like a legitimate item of pork. Tongue
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2010, 03:47:17 AM »

Why don't you check the posts on the first page following yours on the matter. Tongue

It would certainly be beneficial but in terms of wise, I don't know since that is pretty vague.

Don't come crying to me next time the hurricane season begins Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2010, 06:04:37 PM »

Don't come crying to me next time the hurricane season begins Wink

Looking at the latest from the Cook political report, I don't think I will need to. Tongue
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #119 on: January 01, 2011, 07:39:25 PM »

I propose the following amendment to section 2:

g.  Flood mitigation for spring 2011 in the Midwest.
       1.  $50 million shall be made available to regional and local officials upon application    for direct flood mitigation in affected communities.  These monies shall be used only for temporary flood mitigation and community support programs to provide relief to citizens affected by flooding.  Any funds not used for flood mitigation as of December 31st, 2011, shall be returned to the public treasury.
       2.  $10 million shall be made available to local communities along flood prone rivers to purchase homes within the designated 50 year flood event zone in order to convert said land into parks or natural areas that will be allowed to flood, thereby alleviating pressure on other dikes and flood walls.
       3.  Whereby the Fargo/Moorhead region is a vital center of commerce, agricultural, and energy trade for a large area of the Midwest, and whereby dangerous historic flooding has increased drastically in recent decades due to climatic changes, the duration or extent of which cannot be accurately forecasted, $100 million shall be appropriated to the Army Corps of Engineers to design, plan, and build a permanent levy within the city of Fargo, ND to withstand a flood crest on the Red River of the North of no less than 50 feet.  If the Midwest regional government appropriates additional funds for this measure, the monies hereby allocated may be used in the design, plan, and construction of a permanent flood diversion canal around the Fargo/Moorhead region without further approval by Senate of Atlasia or any other government authority.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #120 on: January 01, 2011, 10:42:54 PM »

The previous amendment has been adopted.

The current amendment is accepted by the sponsor. Senators have 24 hours to object.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2011, 02:41:30 AM »

I propose the following amendment to section 2:

g.  Flood mitigation for spring 2011 in the Midwest.
       1.  $50 million shall be made available to regional and local officials upon application    for direct flood mitigation in affected communities.  These monies shall be used only for temporary flood mitigation and community support programs to provide relief to citizens affected by flooding.  Any funds not used for flood mitigation as of December 31st, 2011, shall be returned to the public treasury.
       2.  $10 million shall be made available to local communities along flood prone rivers to purchase homes within the designated 50 year flood event zone in order to convert said land into parks or natural areas that will be allowed to flood, thereby alleviating pressure on other dikes and flood walls.
       3.  Whereby the Fargo/Moorhead region is a vital center of commerce, agricultural, and energy trade for a large area of the Midwest, and whereby dangerous historic flooding has increased drastically in recent decades due to climatic changes, the duration or extent of which cannot be accurately forecasted, $100 million shall be appropriated to the Army Corps of Engineers to design, plan, and build a permanent levy within the city of Fargo, ND to withstand a flood crest on the Red River of the North of no less than 50 feet.  If the Midwest regional government appropriates additional funds for this measure, the monies hereby allocated may be used in the design, plan, and construction of a permanent flood diversion canal around the Fargo/Moorhead region without further approval by Senate of Atlasia or any other government authority.

I know I've been giving the Senate a hard time, but hearts to Snowguy on working with his region to write a detailed amendment like this.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2011, 02:48:25 AM »

Indeed. Shame he shall soon be parting from our midst.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2011, 02:55:49 AM »

Indeed. Shame he shall soon be parting from our midst.

Don't worry... I'm sure the "national hughughug day" bill will generate pages of debate! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2011, 06:25:41 PM »

Flood protection, choo-choo trains, freeways, trolleys, power lines, unemployment extension, food relief for the poor...

Let's get this show on the road and at least put a chink in the giant stone monster that is trying to cripple our economy (aka Badger Tongue)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies