Would you support this? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:38:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Would you support this? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you support the banning of an HPV vaccine?
Yes (Pro Choice)

No (Pro Choice)

Yes (Pro Life)

No (Pro Life)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Would you support this?  (Read 6724 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: March 10, 2006, 12:42:50 PM »

From Andrew Sullivan;

'In the latest New Yorker, Michael Specter has a positively chilling story on how theoconservatives and Christianists have waged a quiet war against some critical vaccines, especially against Human papillomavirus or HPV. A vaccine exists against this virus that would drastically reduce the numbers of cervix cancer cases. The religious right opposes it as a mandatory childhood vaccination, because it removes a disincentive to having sex:

"Religious conservatives are unapologetic; not only do they believe that mass use of an HPV vaccine or the availability of emergency contraception will encourage adolescents to engage in unacceptable sexual behavior; some have even stated that they would feel similarly about an H.I.V. vaccine, if one became available.  'We would have to look at that closely,' Reginald Finger, an evangelical Christian and a former medical adviser to the conservative political organization Focus on the Family, said. '' '

So, would you support Forus on the Family and wish for such vacinnes to be banned for 'promoting promiscuity' ?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 12:53:56 PM »

No, but I wouldn't pretend that the views of a few people on the extreme religious fringe are representative of everyone on the religious right either.

Neither do I. I was simply laying down the article as it was written.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 01:28:50 PM »

Becoming quite the conspiracy theorist, eh Afleitch?

Angus I was only quoting anothers opinion. It does not necessarily mean that it is my own. I only opened up Sullivans take on it for debate.

So please do not attack me for being a 'conspiracy theorist' when it isn't even my POV that is being put forward.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies