Opinion of quote "A Christian society would be what we now call Leftist"? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:49:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of quote "A Christian society would be what we now call Leftist"? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of quote?
FQ

HQ

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Opinion of quote "A Christian society would be what we now call Leftist"?  (Read 1450 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: October 20, 2022, 03:51:13 PM »
« edited: October 20, 2022, 03:54:53 PM by afleitch »

This is from Mere Christianity of all books. In context (I'm not even quoting the whole sentence, much less the whole paragraph) Lewis is making the pretty common observation that the default Christian political approach is socioeconomically to the left but socioculturally to the right of generalized secular liberalism. Out of context, though, it sounds like something you'd read in a tractate by some based-in-more-ways-than-one Bolivian village curate.

From what I remember, he calls the 'sociocultural' aspect old-fashioned, even for the time he was writing. My take is that I think it was a tacit admission that such an approach (biblically based, or otherwise) or an emphasis on this being 'real' Christianity was effectively impossible in an industrial society. But at the same time, redistributionist leftism or welfarism as he knew it was structurally impossible then (time of Jesus etc) but was possible at the time he wrote and indeed was being implemented at the time the book was collected.

What thoughts he may have had on the later British 1950's sociocultural conservative 'redoubt' (that has unwound and took religious observance with it) at the time of the greatest strength of the welfare state, I have no idea.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies