Senate term lenght (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:28:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Senate term lenght (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: 6 years are
Too short

Too long

Just right

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Senate term lenght  (Read 4769 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« on: August 03, 2011, 08:00:28 AM »

Way too long.  It should be four years.

Or abolish the damn thing.
And let NY have more Represenatives then Alabama? No way. The Senate and House terms are perfect.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 08:10:21 AM »

And let NY have more Representatives then Alabama? No way.

Heaven forbid that a state with 19.3 million people should have more representation than a state with 4.7 million people.
If we abolished the Senate (which is always controlled by Democrats anyway), then we would have a continually Democratic controlled Congress. NY should have more Represenatives in the House, but,  the Senate adds perfect balance.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 08:26:04 AM »

If we abolished the Senate (which is always controlled by Democrats anyway), then we would have a continually Democratic controlled Congress. NY should have more Represenatives in the House, but,  the Senate adds perfect balance.

None of that made any sense whatsoever.  Literally none.  I wouldn't even know where to start with it.
Come to think of it, my wording was awfull. My point is, the Senate is meant to protect against waves. The House can go a certain way every two years, but the Senate hardly changes.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 09:15:19 AM »

If we abolished the Senate (which is always controlled by Democrats anyway), then we would have a continually Democratic controlled Congress. NY should have more Represenatives in the House, but,  the Senate adds perfect balance.

None of that made any sense whatsoever.  Literally none.  I wouldn't even know where to start with it.
Come to think of it, my wording was awfull. My point is, the Senate is meant to protect against waves. The House can go a certain way every two years, but the Senate hardly changes.

In 1980 the Senate flipped to the Republicans, and then back to the Democrats in 1986.  The House remained in Democratic control throughout.

In 2001 the Senate flipped to the Democrats, and then back to the Republicans in 2002.  The House remained in Republican control throughout.

In fact, 2010 was the first time in 80 years that the House flipped control, but not the Senate.  It's more often been the other way around.
But the point is, one house changes every two years, the other, every 6, in order to avoid a mass takeover. The Tea Party needs to hold on to 2016 to actually take complete controll of the Legislature and Presidency.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies