What undermimes marriage more? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:44:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What undermimes marriage more? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What undermimes marriage more?
High divorce rates, marriages of convenience and Vegas style quickie marriages etc

Gays and lesbians wanting to marry.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: What undermimes marriage more?  (Read 28730 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: June 26, 2006, 06:15:48 PM »

Has no one ever told you that it's biologically impossible for a man to give birth?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 06:26:01 PM »

I'm neither a liberal or gay and I support civil unions.

I did use to know someone called Percy though.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 06:27:18 PM »

Have you ever seen any other homosexual thing other than a human?

Yes. Various animals. I've seen it meself (I've lived most of my life in very rural areas, btw).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 06:38:46 PM »

I would say that any Christian who is gay has some serious problems.  

I am. And I get along just fine thanks Smiley

Then I would say you have some serious docrtrinal issues.

Hmm? Why would you say that? It's not certain that homosexuality (as a sexual orientation and all that) is even mentioned in the New Testament (the bit in Romans may have been in reference to male prostitution).

Certainly it's never mentioned in the teachings of Jesus Christ; which are, or at least are supposed to be, the basis of the Christian religion in all it's forms.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 06:59:33 PM »

Which is in the Old Testament, not the New. But I'll run with this anyway...

It seems to me that the sins of the citizens of Sodom and Gomorrah were the fact that they tended to rape newcomers to their cities, rather than homosexuality...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 07:20:14 PM »

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination" (Leviticus 18:22). "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them" (Leviticus 20:13)

Ah. Leviticus. Oh dear. First things first... Leviticus is in the Old Testament, not the New. As such it has little bearing on the Christian religion (beyond very interesting background reading; not that Leviticus is much use for that, but some books in it are really fascinating. Job for instance) in most respects... but I'll let you run with this as well.

This particular part of Leviticus (the worst written book of the Bible by far, but that is by the by) is taken out of all context more often than any part of any book ever written in the entire history of humanity (well... maybe not. But grant unto me the right for a little hyperbole).

First off, it is literally taken out of context. The acts described are part of a long list of various sins, generally of a sexual nature (although the first few aren't) and the recommended punishments are pretty brutal throughout (with execution being the favoured solution). Man lying as with woman is the fifth in the list of sexual sins. And it's not entirely sure what is meant by man-lying-with-another-man-as-wIt's actually lower than having sex with certain in-laws.
And it's not certain what lying-as-with-woman actually means, for several reasons. But that is also by the by.

Leviticus is a set of rules for a society that we do not live in anymore (unless you happen to live in a tight-knight nomadic society... which I doubt). And they are a set of, well more than rules, laws, which are no longer obeyed. Unless you live your life according to the book of Leviticus (if so that means no clothes made of mixed fibres, no pork and so on. Just thank the Lord that you aren't female; there's a lot of weird stuff on menstruation there. And plenty of ever useful information about how to sacrifice a goat) then you really have no right to complain that others don't... and here's the thing. There is no requirement for Christians to follow the laws in the book of Leviticus.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 07:42:37 PM »

It is the basis for my beliefs and interpretations of the NT,

Well it shouldn't be. The OT and NT are seperate collections of books; one is the core of the Christian religion, the other is the early history of the Jews (amongst other things).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A publishing company?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well this seems to be the usual collection of taking things grossly out of context and spinning them out of all proportion. And a nasty little jibe at the end.
It does not address the criticisms I have made of their interpretation of Leviticus. Not once.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies