2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:18:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 79
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: California  (Read 89815 times)
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: June 07, 2020, 01:33:13 PM »

Speaking of Valadao, why didn’t Costa stay in his original district in 2012? It barely changed. Did he want a whiter seat because he didn’t want to face a primary challenge?

CA-16 is safer for Democrats.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #426 on: June 07, 2020, 02:33:02 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2020, 01:28:00 PM by ERM64man »

My Los Angeles-Ventura-Santa Barbara map. I wanted to keep all the Channel Islands together. Is it fine that I also put the majority-white neighborhood in Hawthorne in Ted Lieu's district?

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #427 on: June 07, 2020, 02:34:47 PM »

My Los Angeles-Ventura-Santa Barbara map. I wanted to keep all the Channel Islands together. Is it fine that I also put the majority-white neighborhood in Hawthorne in Ted Lieu's district?

Attaching Catalina to Santa Barbara makes absolutely no sense.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #428 on: June 07, 2020, 02:36:01 PM »

Why not? Santa Barbara and Oxnard have airports. Catalina is one of the Channel Islands.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #429 on: June 07, 2020, 02:39:14 PM »

Why not? Santa Barbara and Oxnard have airports. Catalina is one of the Channel Islands.

Lots of places have airports. It's in LA County, it has boat service from Long Beach and San Pedro, and it isn't connected at all to the other channel islands.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #430 on: June 07, 2020, 03:10:18 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2020, 08:41:48 AM by ERM64man »

Updated. Long Beach and San Pedro are in Barragan's district with Catalina Island.

Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #431 on: June 07, 2020, 05:08:35 PM »

How come you are all keeping the CA-21 gerrymander largely intact?
You have to have a district here that can elect a candidate of choice for the Latino community.
I made sure of that in the IE as well (I gave Torres and Aguilar majority-HCVAP seats as well). This is why I took Mono out of the Rural San Bernardino district and added Redlands to it.

It's not as necessary to do that in places that already elect Latinos. The Central Valley has never sent a Latino to Congress.

Valadao?

He's Portuguese, not Latino.

Really? You're going to try to create that distinction?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #432 on: June 07, 2020, 05:10:27 PM »

You have to have a district here that can elect a candidate of choice for the Latino community.
I made sure of that in the IE as well (I gave Torres and Aguilar majority-HCVAP seats as well). This is why I took Mono out of the Rural San Bernardino district and added Redlands to it.

It's not as necessary to do that in places that already elect Latinos. The Central Valley has never sent a Latino to Congress.

Valadao?

It is a point of contention as to whether Portuguese are Latino or not. Both sides have good arguments here.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #433 on: June 07, 2020, 05:14:54 PM »

When splitting cities, is it fine that I split both Hawthorne and Huntington Beach for cultural and political purposes? I also renumbered Los Angeles.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #434 on: June 07, 2020, 05:17:34 PM »

Speaking of Valadao, why didn’t Costa stay in his original district in 2012? It barely changed. Did he want a whiter seat because he didn’t want to face a primary challenge?

If Costa had decided not to jump ship for CA-16, does that mean one less Central Valley seat for Rs throughout the 2010s?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #435 on: June 07, 2020, 05:18:28 PM »

If Costa had decided not to jump ship for CA-16, does that mean one less Central Valley seat for Rs throughout the 2010s?

Not necessarily, as Costa has never been a particular strong performer in the area. In all likelihood, however, that would be the case.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #436 on: June 07, 2020, 05:20:41 PM »

Does Costa live in CA-16 or CA-21?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #437 on: June 07, 2020, 05:20:53 PM »

Not necessarily, as Costa has never been a particular strong performer in the area. In all likelihood, however, that would be the case.
Who do you think would run for and win CA-16?
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #438 on: June 07, 2020, 05:22:35 PM »

Right now or back then?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #439 on: June 07, 2020, 05:22:59 PM »

Cardoza.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #440 on: June 07, 2020, 05:24:22 PM »

Right now or back then?
in 2012, in case Costa runs in CA-21.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #441 on: June 07, 2020, 05:33:29 PM »

Remember Lois Capps’ eyesore snakemander until 2012?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #442 on: June 07, 2020, 05:54:46 PM »

Valadao?

Uh, Latino usually indicates being from Latin America. Valadao's Family is from the Azores Islands. Very different.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #443 on: June 07, 2020, 06:13:26 PM »

Does the Central Valley have a large Azorean population (Nunes and Costa too)?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #444 on: June 07, 2020, 06:20:29 PM »

Does the Central Valley have a large Azorean population (Nunes and Costa too)?
https://portuguese-american-journal.com/exhibit-azorean-farmers-in-californias-central-valley-community/
Yeah.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #445 on: June 07, 2020, 06:21:56 PM »

Yep, and since about half of the Hispanic population of Kern, Tulare, and Kings are not part of the CVAP eligible voter pool, you still need to get aggressive in order to ensure Hispanics have a seat that can elect a candidate of their choice. Like if more hispanic citizens voted and the 116K voters from 2012 doubled in subsequent years to match it's it's brethren in the rest of the state then maybe things wouldn't need to be so aggressive. However, only 20K voters were added in 2016, and things would need to change significantly in 2020 to adjust the inevitable trajectory.
Ok, I just figured that the idea was to have no gerrymanders.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #446 on: June 07, 2020, 06:35:15 PM »

As younger people become old enough to vote, it will be easier to draw Hispanic districts more cleanly.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #447 on: June 07, 2020, 09:17:00 PM »

Valadao?

Uh, Latino usually indicates being from Latin America. Valadao's Family is from the Azores Islands. Very different.

Besides, it doesn’t matter if the district has elected a Latino representative or not. It’s never about the official’s ethnicity. It’s about the community being able to elect the candidate of their choice. Valadao wasn’t the Latino community’s choice; Cox is.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #448 on: June 07, 2020, 09:35:09 PM »

Valadao?

Besides, it doesn’t matter if the district has elected a Latino representative or not. It’s never about the official’s ethnicity. It’s about the community being able to elect the candidate of their choice. Valadao wasn’t the Latino community’s choice; Cox is.
See also: SC-01 electing a black man, Tim Scott, does not mean it qualifies to be a black VRA seat.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #449 on: June 07, 2020, 10:28:47 PM »

I was wondering is it possible to keep CA-16 as 52%+ Hispanic VAP with 2018 population if you just use Merced, Madera, and Fresno city in Fresno, because it doesn't seem so, and you can't expand west into Fresno County, because those Hispanic precincts are needed for CA-21, so I'm interested as to how you guys got around this, unless you took the seat apart or just changed it into a minority coalition one.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies