Mideast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:04:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Mideast Assembly Thread  (Read 255916 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: December 22, 2008, 08:12:26 AM »

I will put forward a simple Proposition if it speeds things up. Please propose the relevant text of the Proposition and I will formally rubber stamp it in time for the next set of elections.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 05:53:35 PM »

Pipe down or I'll usurp your authority Smiley

j/k
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 01:23:55 PM »

I agree strongly with Peter's recommendation. The establishment of the Assembly has 'lessened the pool' of willing particiapnts in Mideast government - there is more for an Assembly member to do than a Lt Governor with regards to the day to day running of affairs.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 07:47:42 PM »

We'd need a very vast constitutional amdendment, including amendments to the stuff that I fiddled with under my administration.  While I generally support the idea of what Peter prosposed, I think it needs some tweaking.  I ask that the Assembly hold off on this until I return from vacation.  In the meantime, we'll need a new Speaker/Assemblyman.

I understand your position. I am inclined to believe that the present Constitution may not be fit for purpose and that has to be adressed.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 07:25:43 AM »

I guess I will make a formal request of the Governor.

Which he has done. And he has got it, unless there are any formal objections?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 11:08:23 AM »

I am introducing the following legislature:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Useless legislation.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 02:30:58 PM »

An address from the Governor.

Dear friends.

Let me be blunt, as I have said before the Second Constitution of the Mideast is not fit for purpose. I am aware of, support and appreciate the efforts by many in this legislature to make amendments to this constitution. I put to the Assembly that as Governor I do not have confidence in the constitution to hold elections outwith a designated window. Even Article IV is a joke, but I won't comment much more on that rather than it makes me nostalgic for the First Constitution.

What it has led to is fragmented and even unconstitutional governance. I believe that as sticking plasters can't heal a broken leg, neither can a series of amendments fix what needs to be fixed. Besides, a heavily mended constitution bears the hallmarks of it's essential failure as a government and civil document.

Perhaps the time has come for a Third Constitution.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 04:53:22 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2009, 04:58:51 PM by afleitch »

It is clear that aspects of the statute have not been followed for over a year now and that this has been relatively unintentional. However it is still an unhelpful position to be in and is not excusable. I would support an amendment over an EDIT: repeal
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 05:05:29 PM »

Seems both fair and immediate.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 06:41:08 PM »

A public request for people to express andinterest may be helpful. While I can see the point in trying to offer the position to a voter as opposed to someone who did not cast a ballot IIRC, only two voters (Ben and officepark) who voted in the recent election do not currently hold office.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 09:23:49 AM »

A public request for people to express andinterest may be helpful. While I can see the point in trying to offer the position to a voter as opposed to someone who did not cast a ballot IIRC, only two voters (Ben and officepark) who voted in the recent election do not currently hold office.

I made a public request in my office - I'll create a different thread so I maxamize attention though.

Also, Ben can't hold office.

Yes I know Ban can't hold office Smiley I'm well aware he can't hold office Grin And the jury is still out on officepark. Hence the likelyhood of nominating a non-voter even though it may be preferrable not to.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 08:09:26 AM »

While in small races like this, with one or two candidates, preferential voting doesn't have an impact. However it is preferrable to straight voting. Secondly, any changes to our election procedure should preferrably reflect federal voting procedures.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 04:36:55 PM »

I have an issue with Section 1:2 as it copies the language of the current preferential voting system which is legally shaky (but has not yet been tested). Was something not drafted to replace that?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 08:03:06 AM »

Inks, your first edits have been noted and implemented. I will look over the others now.

I have an issue with Section 1:2 as it copies the language of the current preferential voting system which is legally shaky (but has not yet been tested). Was something not drafted to replace that?

Afleitch, what would you propose? What is the legal problem with the preferential voting system as such?

Nothing wrong with the system, only the wording. It meant that voting;

Brown [ ]
Green

Meant you were infact voting for Brown, as Brown was 'listed' 1st. This happened in the last Mideast elections but was not challenged because the intent was clear. However it could be challenged again, if two future opponents did not have goodwill.

I'm almost positive Peter drafted something to deal with this. I'll check back.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 06:14:53 PM »

I will add anything further to the legislation on Sunday if I think it requires amendment.

I would like to inform the Assembly that I will be on other business from Monday through Thursday so I will be absent.

(meaning I'm in London for my work Tongue)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 07:11:39 PM »

Afleitch, when will you be leaving? I would like to have a chance to incorporate your thoughts and put this to vote soon. Granted we do have a bit of time until the next elections and we don't want flawed legislation, but I would like this kind of landmark legislation to get through here.

I'll be around Sunday. I'll be away Monday to Thursday.

On closer look I don't have anything further to add or clarify. Perhaps it could be put to the vote?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 10:02:51 AM »

Aye
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 06:24:49 PM »

I would formally like to suggest the following legislation to be tabled.

Amendment to the Mideast Intelligent Design Statute

Section 2 shall be amended to read 'Therefore, the Mideast Region forbids all school districts under the governments authority to teach intelligent design in any science class.
Amendments in bold.

As abhorrent as intelligent design is, it is better to air or debate this nonsense in theology or philosophy class.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 01:42:59 PM »

Aye on both.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 02:19:45 PM »

Aye on the motion.

I understand that we are having some difficulty here in the Mideast with regards to participation.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 02:24:08 PM »

Just a tad. The slowdown is likely due to the coming of the vote for the 3C and the upcoming national CC.

It would appear that the Mideast is the only region thus far to have enough candidates looking to be a delegate to fill its delegate slots. That, at least, is a good sign.

The non-binding ConCon Delegate Selection Resolution passes unanimously by a vote of 2-0. I will convey this resolution to the Governor as stated.

Having nearly every active poster in a position of government pays off. Gives people something to do. Something to take to the Convention perhaps
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 04:16:42 PM »

I'll need to consider the bill. I drafted a Press Complaints Commission bill in the Senate along similar lines but it failed. Though I understand this bill more specifically adresses the 'everyone is Xahar!!!' nonsense of a week back.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 02:18:44 PM »

Abstain. I have concerns as to how it will be managed.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 02:36:33 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2009, 03:06:38 PM by afleitch »

The Libel and Slander Penalization Act has passed with 2 ayes and 1 abstain. I will pass the legislation on to the Governor.

Next, I would like to discuss an Amendment to the new Constitution. As the legislation section is currently written a Governor is not required to sign or veto a law, essentially giving him the right not to let it through nor to send it back.

I propose the follow Amendment for discussion:

First Amendment

1. Article 3, Section 2, Clause 4 of the Third Mideast Constitution shall hereby be Clause 5.
2. Article 3, Section 2 of the Third Mideast Constitution shall be amended to include the following as Clause 4: "The Governor shall have seven days to sign or veto ordinary legislation passed by the Assembly. After seven days, legislation which the Governor has not signed or vetoed shall be considered as Law."

I'm supportive of checks and balances and would support an amendment. However I would amend the second part to read 'Any legislation vetoed by the Governor shall be returned to the Assembly and shall become Law if the veto is overulled by a unaminous vote by the Assembly.'

As 2 is the quota to allow the bill to pass, the veto quota should be higher. Essentially all 3 in favour of overulling. However the wording has to be careful, hence the use of 'unanimous' - in case one member is absent etc. An unprincipled governor could use the absense of a member to go on a 'veto spree' otherwise.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 03:06:05 PM »

The Libel and Slander Penalization Act has passed with 2 ayes and 1 abstain. I will pass the legislation on to the Governor.

Next, I would like to discuss an Amendment to the new Constitution. As the legislation section is currently written a Governor is not required to sign or veto a law, essentially giving him the right not to let it through nor to send it back.

I propose the follow Amendment for discussion:

First Amendment

1. Article 3, Section 2, Clause 4 of the Third Mideast Constitution shall hereby be Clause 5.
2. Article 3, Section 2 of the Third Mideast Constitution shall be amended to include the following as Clause 4: "The Governor shall have seven days to sign or veto ordinary legislation passed by the Assembly. After seven days, legislation which the Governor has not signed or vetoed shall be considered as Law."

I'm supportive of checks and balances and would support an amendment. However I would amend the second part to read 'Any legislation vetoed by the Governor shall be returned to the Assembly and shall become Law if the veto is overulled by a unaminous vote by the Senate.'

As 2 is the quota to allow the bill to pass, the veto quota should be higher. Essentially all 3 in favour of overulling. However the wording has to be careful, hence the use of 'unanimous' - in case one member is absent etc. An unprincipled governor could use the absense of a member to go on a 'veto spree' otherwise.

That should be "unanimous vote by the Assembly" not "Senate," fyi.

Yes, sorry. Mindslip Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies