North Carolina 2020 Redistricting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 06:59:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  North Carolina 2020 Redistricting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: North Carolina 2020 Redistricting  (Read 87217 times)
cvparty
United States

« on: November 04, 2019, 08:47:55 PM »

pretty good gerrymander
cvparty
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 06:40:50 PM »

Don't like the Greensboro/Winston-Salem and Fayetteville regions one bit. On the other hand, that 11th seems like it was drawn by a Democrat looking for a potential pickup.

Splitting Hoke/Robeson from Scotland/Richmond/Anson is a problem, too, and the arm up to Watauga is a mess, although it doesn't really matter from a partisan perspective. This doesn't seem like a good map, or, honestly, a nonpartisan one.
NC-11 actually makes sense if you look at a topographic map of the state (mountains)
cvparty
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 08:37:29 PM »

this works well too i think. 7R-6D breakdown with NC-11 being the tipping point. CDs 2, 6 and 8 are very likely pickups

this is another map that better captures the research triangle and keeps most of johnston with raleigh, but also makes the 8th weirdish in shape
cvparty
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 11:23:47 PM »

Here is all four maps they drew today.
they seem really bent on stretching that one district 100 miles to the east of charlotte
cvparty
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 04:28:21 AM »

NC senate Dems map. They keep the Stupid 7th, the 6th and the 4th could probably do with an internal reshuffle, Greensboro/W-S of course, and I personally would have cut Wayne to boost NC01's AAVAP.

Me and NC Dems are on the same page,  looks very similar to mine again.

The only thing I really dislike here is keeping Forsyth and Guilford in separate districts, which, why? I don't love Johnston with Wilmington, or Watauga with Asheville, but those are not the end of the world.

They are thinking ahead for next year when we gain a seat.

How does that make a difference? You still won't be able to draw a Democratic or even particularly competitive seat including Forsyth County without Guilford County, as Forsyth is smaller, less Democratic and, other than Guilford, surrounded by ultra-Republican counties.

Because if you pack all the dems in one district you get a super dem district and a super Rep district. But if you split it, you will get a Moderate dem district and a Winnable other district.

So in after the 2020 census when NC adds a district you can make this map.

The Purple district is even and all the others are Dem districts. But if you packed the dems in like you said to, you wouldn't be able to make this map.

that district makes me uncomfortable
cvparty
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 08:04:10 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2019, 02:25:11 AM by cvparty »

i think this is probably the best map you can get with respect to communities of interest and compactness

edit: i like this one more 'cause it keeps pittsboro with chapel hill

cvparty
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 04:09:06 AM »

Oryxslayer and cvparty have produced the best maps I have seen so far in this thread. I cannot open Oregon Blue Dog's on this computer so I cannot say anything about that one.

Also the whole discussion about which Reps live where is emblematic of why the courts needs to draw this. Considering where incumbents lives in redistricting should be illegal. These maps are not drawn to serve them, they are drawn to best represent the people and the Representatives are then suppose to represent those districts. If they cannot do that, then they need to retire.

I would gladly vote for Holden over Rouzer in a primary if it were to come to that.
thanks uwu that's flattering to hear from a north carolinian. i agree on the thing about double bunking being BS, what bearing should incumbents' hometowns have on drawing fair districts? isn't the virtue of the latter with respect to the people, not a small group of politicians?
cvparty
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 10:41:28 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2020, 10:44:48 PM by cvparty »

So like for a “fair map” how do we feel about county splits? I try to avoid them whenever possible (which is part of the reason for my 2/7 split.) I noticed at kwabbit’s map there’s a lot of county splits, but still a good map.
i mean the issue with fishing for perfect county groupings is that they basically only exist for a year, so you’re going to have to reconfigure your entire map when you have the 2020 census numbers. on the other hand, when you draw with a less hardcore emphasis on county splits and more on immutable characteristics, the resulting map is far less tenuous

edit: also, putting county lines at the forefront typically forgoes compactness and communities of interest, which imo is a poor trade-off
cvparty
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 06:14:51 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2022, 06:21:45 PM by cvparty »

Oftentimes getting partisan equality (which the NC map is spot in) is impossible without making it look ugly. For instance, this is the cleanest 'fair map' of WI I could do:
https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::58b328c0-461f-469e-b687-4e747f43d211
I don't think it's hard at all, here's a very clean map that split 7-7 in a state that was basically even in 2020, with only 13 county splits. It's also very competitive, with 5 districts (2R, 3D) being within single digits
cvparty
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2022, 12:16:53 AM »

men will literally complain that no one listens to them right before posting a map with a three way split of mecklenburg county and a bunch of completely random lines instead of going to therapy
tbf splitting it into three does make sense in a vacuum, it just doesn’t work very well with the current set of district numbers/population. when NC gains a 15th seat and charlotte grows more, it’d be perfect
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies