Polish Politics and Elections (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 03:46:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Polish Politics and Elections (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Polish Politics and Elections  (Read 111617 times)
Bojicat
Rookie
« on: January 30, 2018, 04:09:30 PM »

Fears of a looming PiS government monopoly as a result of the recent reform law's passage and other steps has degenerated into sky-is-falling craziness. The electoral reform could (and let me re-emphasize could) enable a single party (i.e., PiS) to dominate the PKW if (and let me re-emphasize if) PiS winds up the preponderant party after 2019 legislative elections. Tall mountains to climb, and even if somehow the peaks are reached, the view will certainly not be that of dictatorship or one-party state terror.

My, how often have I heard the word 'slippery slope' or 'slide to authoritarianism' to describe anything Poland does if there's a Kaczynski anywhere near the Pałac Prezydencki. To me, the hysteria looks more like reflexive anti-Polish poison from Euro-centered apparatchiks fearful of losing their grip, post Brexit. Yet it's having a very hurtful effect on the image of the nation and on its people, as this campaign has caught on worldwide. Poland should be used to attempts by now to delegitimize it, delegitimize its history. But I'm not seeing any intelligent effort from the government to counter this slander. 

Poland itself is absolutely beautiful and the system is 100% democratic. And its system is certainly far more accepting of contrary viewpoints and free thought than the majority of its critics.
Bojicat
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 01:47:13 PM »

Fears of a looming PiS government monopoly as a result of the recent reform law's passage and other steps has degenerated into sky-is-falling craziness. The electoral reform could (and let me re-emphasize could) enable a single party (i.e., PiS) to dominate the PKW if (and let me re-emphasize if) PiS winds up the preponderant party after 2019 legislative elections. Tall mountains to climb, and even if somehow the peaks are reached, the view will certainly not be that of dictatorship or one-party state terror.

My, how often have I heard the word 'slippery slope' or 'slide to authoritarianism' to describe anything Poland does if there's a Kaczynski anywhere near the Pałac Prezydencki. To me, the hysteria looks more like reflexive anti-Polish poison from Euro-centered apparatchiks fearful of losing their grip, post Brexit. Yet it's having a very hurtful effect on the image of the nation and on its people, as this campaign has caught on worldwide. Poland should be used to attempts by now to delegitimize it, delegitimize its history. But I'm not seeing any intelligent effort from the government to counter this slander. 

Poland itself is absolutely beautiful and the system is 100% democratic. And its system is certainly far more accepting of contrary viewpoints and free thought than the majority of its critics.
Please do not copy-paste TVP Info articles without giving credit, there are copyright issues with that sort of thing.

What are you talking about? What is "TVP"?
Bojicat
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 05:49:52 PM »

Please do not copy-paste TVP Info articles without giving credit, there are copyright issues with that sort of thing.

What are you talking about? What is "TVP"?
hahahahahahahahaha

I now get your point. A feeling that Poland is put-upon at times should be vocalised and recognised by more decent people, and not just be the red meat of mouthpieces like TVP INFO. At some point, it's dangerous for a nation to sit idly, grin and take a punch in the face in stride.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies