Chris Shays (R-CT) to run for U.S. Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 10:46:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Chris Shays (R-CT) to run for U.S. Senate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Chris Shays (R-CT) to run for U.S. Senate  (Read 3512 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 03:15:54 PM »

Shays is the correct type of candidate, but he's damaged goods. 
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 02:25:35 PM »

If Simmons couldn't survive a primary against a joke like McMahon, then I can't see how an even more moderate/liberal Republican can do it.

Money.

Shays district is one of the wealthiest in the country, and he's got a lot of very strong corporate contacts from his time as a congressman. Not saying he'd win a primary, but he's a much stronger candidate than Simmons on most every level—especially seniority and ability to fundraise.

As a former "employee" of Shays, let me tell you this much. He can get a lot of money, very, very fast here. He'll outraise Murphy in a heartbeat.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2011, 02:50:13 PM »

I think his time has come and gone.  He was very weak his last few elections until he was ousted in 2006.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2011, 02:52:22 PM »

I think his time has come and gone.  He was very weak his last few elections until he was ousted in 2006.

Except he wasn't ousted in 2006.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 09:33:55 PM »

If Simmons couldn't survive a primary against a joke like McMahon, then I can't see how an even more moderate/liberal Republican can do it.

Because McMahon lost once, and unless there is a raison d'etre to the voters as to just why they want to nominate her again, she will not be as strong a position. Do voters in Conn have remorse that she lost? 
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2011, 09:46:41 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2011, 12:30:35 AM by Kevin »

I think his best bet is to form a "Connecticut for Shays" Party.  Sadly, he can't win the primary.

I think he stands a shot.

Keep in mind McMahon wasn't any more "conservative" then her fellow Republicans when running for the 2010 nomination. As she was just a much more better position then the others due to her amount of $.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2011, 09:54:22 PM »

Hopefully Connecticut Republicans don't make the same mistake twice of nominating McMahon. That would be almost as hilarious as Carly Fiorina getting the nomination against DiFi.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 06:36:05 PM »

Money.

Shays district is one of the wealthiest in the country, and he's got a lot of very strong corporate contacts from his time as a congressman. Not saying he'd win a primary, but he's a much stronger candidate than Simmons on most every level—especially seniority and ability to fundraise.

As a former "employee" of Shays, let me tell you this much. He can get a lot of money, very, very fast here. He'll outraise Murphy in a heartbeat.

Look, Shays could maybe raise that type of money while running for House, but that is because he could win. People aren't going to give him much money for a race he is destined to lose.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 07:59:34 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2011, 08:01:57 PM by Mr. Moderate »

Look, Shays could maybe raise that type of money while running for House, but that is because he could win. People aren't going to give him much money for a race he is destined to lose.

He'll be able to raise the money, period.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Hearst-exclusive-Former-U-S-Rep-Chris-Shays-to-2136540.php#ixzz1Vu5k57Ak
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 09:52:38 PM »

You know, I didn't really think Linda McMahon was all that terrible of a candidate compared to Angle, Buck, O'Donnell.  She performed very well in the debates and produced fairly good advertisements.  Sometimes candidates who lost in previous elections come back to win seats or perform better than they did before.  The thing that haunted McMahon's first campaign was WWE; however, voters get desensitized to the same attacks after awhile and may be more open to her this time around.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2011, 12:52:08 AM »

A poll by Luntz shows Shays trailing only by two? Well, I guess then Murphy is doomed.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2011, 02:09:03 AM »

It really isn't guarenteed that Murphy will win the race. He's the favorite right now sure, but Republicans do have a strong bench still in Conneticutt, and Shays would definitely be a formidable candidate who is probably more electable than Simmons, if you consider that he is even more moderate.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2011, 11:37:14 AM »

A poll by Luntz shows Shays trailing only by two? Well, I guess then Murphy is doomed.

The question wasn't whether Murphy is doomed -- the question was whether Shays is doomed.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2011, 01:14:12 PM »

The question wasn't whether Murphy is doomed -- the question was whether Shays is doomed.

The answer was, and still is, yes.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2011, 01:28:48 PM »

Money.

Dont count us out. I've made calls, money is ready to come in soon.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2011, 01:32:51 PM »

I don't think Shays will win either, bit then again, it would have seemed ridiculous to think Kirk would win or Liddy Dole would lose a few years out. Either way, it's hard to say no to a friend asking for money, especially when that friend has a poll in hand showing him only 2% back in an open seat race in a state where the GOP recently held 3/5 House seats.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies