Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 02:32:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 603 604 605 606 607 [608] 609 610 611 612 613 ... 1166
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 898019 times)
Hollywood
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15175 on: September 27, 2022, 07:01:39 PM »

Polish MEP outing the US as the Nordstream saboteurs lol

This is if you take his claim of knowledge at face value.

I mean I could also go on Twitter and state that it was Bill Gates.

True, but you can hardly come up with a motive for Russia doing it, unless they also blow other non RU pipes.

(UA official also claimed responsibility before deleting the post)

Why not?

What's the Russian motive for blowing up the pipeline right before winter?   

Why the hell should I be able to explain Putin's thought processes? The man started a war that he apparently can't win.
The pipeline being blown up does nothing but assist US designs. Only a small number of people are able to sabotage the pipeline; presently, everything points to America doing this and not Russia.

The Russians, if they were to sabotage the pipeline, would most likely do so after the winter was over, not now. There is a method to their madness.
NS1 has been shut down and NS2 was incomplete. They aren't valuable to Russia anymore.
They in fact were. They had long-term value and gave the Russians more avenues to act. The blowing up of these pipelines corners Russia still further.

My brother, most people here are not critical thinkers when it comes to "their side".

So not only is the UA claiming responsibility (high level officials), but Poles are also thanking the US for the sabotage. To top it all off, this is very bad for Russia, as now people can't protest for NS2 to be opened when they start sliding into poverty due to insane prices. In essence, this means Europe can't negotiate with Russia even if it wanted to now.

We need to stop trying lol

Exactly  It's seems pretty obvious that a NATO Partner would blow-up the pipeline.  It had been a geopolitical weakness for European Leaders that were expressing their willingness to endlessly deepen the economic struggles of their people for as long as Ukraine needed support.  The action clearly solves the problem, and blaming Russia to reaffirm the narrative.  The timing of the event with the referendums is also a bit suspicious.  

And I'm not even trying. Isn't it just fun to see people climb to new levels of absurdity in order to justify their rationale for believing the Russians are automatically responsible for every unfortunate, awful, or controversial event. The media and Ukrainians tried blaming Russians for shelling their own positions at the Zap Power Plant for over month, and somehow members thought that was more realistic than the Ukrainians shelling it. Then the Ukrainians admitted to shelling the NUCLEAR plant, because Russians were firing artillery from nearby positions.  At what point does one stop reaching for new fantasies to justify a single falsehood?

It just doesn't strike me as particularly realistic that "a NATO partner" would blow up the pipeline, simply for the reason that you would need to successfully keep that a secret for all eternity because if it ever came out it could threaten the very existence of the alliance. That seems like a very high risk operation, a gamble that could potentially backfire tremendously. That wouldn't strike me as a particularly sound decision. Actually, it would be in Russia's best interest if a "NATO partner" blew up the pipeline and then someone (maybe Russia itself) makes it public.

All in all, that just doesn't seem like a thing that happens in the real world.

You really don't think it happens?  Gulf of Tonkin?  Reichstag Fire?  It's always in a country's interest to blame their enemy.  It's in the US, Germany and Ukrainian interest to blame Russia, and vice versa.  Blaming another country for an attack you committed isn't a new phenomenon. Russia had no other interest in attacking the pipeline, because they could accomplish the same goal by shutting it down.  And how would they have pulled off the attack totally unnoticed despite the pipeline sitting between Skane and Mecklenburg.  They did see a US Battleship in the area.  https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/damage-nord-stream-pipelines-unprecedented-may-have-been-sabotaged

There have be been huge protests in Germany calling for the opening of the Nordstream. The US promised to shut down the pipeline if Russia invaded, and it was our national international interest to stop it.  The US wants to sell Natural Gas, and the price finally makes sense. Poland was so interested that they celebrated the attack. Ukraine had been researching ways to take it down.  Every member has an interest in stopping Russia from negotiating. All parties had leaders and parties with political interest, and their concerns about upcoming elections were evident given the results in Italy and Sweden.  
https://citizenfreepress.com/breaking/huge-protest-german-citizens-demand-end-to-sanctions-on-russia/

Honestly, how would the US know about the attack?  It was the US.  There's no reason the Russians would blow-up their own assets.  That would be like accusing Bush of 9/11.
Hollywood
« Reply #15176 on: September 27, 2022, 07:08:48 PM »

True, but you can hardly come up with a motive for Russia doing it, unless they also blow other non RU pipes.

Why not?

Why the hell should I be able to explain Putin's thought processes? The man started a war that he apparently can't win.
The pipeline being blown up does nothing but assist US designs. Only a small number of people are able to sabotage the pipeline; presently, everything points to America doing this and not Russia.

The Russians, if they were to sabotage the pipeline, would most likely do so after the winter was over, not now. There is a method to their madness.
NS1 has been shut down and NS2 was incomplete. They aren't valuable to Russia anymore.
They in fact were. They had long-term value and gave the Russians more avenues to act. The blowing up of these pipelines corners Russia still further.

My brother, most people here are not critical thinkers when it comes to "their side".

So not only is the UA claiming responsibility (high level officials), but Poles are also thanking the US for the sabotage. To top it all off, this is very bad for Russia, as now people can't protest for NS2 to be opened when they start sliding into poverty due to insane prices. In essence, this means Europe can't negotiate with Russia even if it wanted to now.

Exactly  It's seems pretty obvious that a NATO Partner would blow-up the pipeline.  It had been a geopolitical weakness for European Leaders that were expressing their willingness to endlessly deepen the economic struggles of their people for as long as Ukraine needed support.  The action clearly solves the problem, and blaming Russia to reaffirm the narrative.  The timing of the event with the referendums is also a bit suspicious.  

And I'm not even trying. Isn't it just fun to see people climb to new levels of absurdity in order to justify their rationale for believing the Russians are automatically responsible for every unfortunate, awful, or controversial event. The media and Ukrainians tried blaming Russians for shelling their own positions at the Zap Power Plant for over month, and somehow members thought that was more realistic than the Ukrainians shelling it. Then the Ukrainians admitted to shelling the NUCLEAR plant, because Russians were firing artillery from nearby positions.  At what point does one stop reaching for new fantasies to justify a single falsehood?

It just doesn't strike me as particularly realistic that "a NATO partner" would blow up the pipeline, simply for the reason that you would need to successfully keep that a secret for all eternity because if it ever came out it could threaten the very existence of the alliance. That seems like a very high risk operation, a gamble that could potentially backfire tremendously. That wouldn't strike me as a particularly sound decision. Actually, it would be in Russia's best interest if a "NATO partner" blew up the pipeline and then someone (maybe Russia itself) makes it public.

Does it matter? No matter what the truth is, each party will keep believing what they want to believe. How about we all just say it was God and move on?

LOL. This is going to have major impacts on people, as well as the conflict.  The more I read, the more I see circumstantial facts pointing to the US, Germany, and Ukraine.   I think it's probably best for your side to call it an accident. 
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15177 on: September 27, 2022, 07:09:54 PM »

I'm 95% sure the US did it. The other 5% is due to ongoing uncertainty about facets of this that I have not been able to look at yet.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15178 on: September 27, 2022, 07:13:03 PM »

Why not?

You really don't think it happens?  Gulf of Tonkin?  Reichstag Fire?  It's always in a country's interest to blame their enemy.  It's in the US, Germany and Ukrainian interest to blame Russia, and vice versa.  Blaming another country for an attack you committed isn't a new phenomenon. Russia had no other interest in attacking the pipeline, because they could accomplish the same goal by shutting it down.  And how would they have pulled off the attack totally unnoticed despite the pipeline sitting between Skane and Mecklenburg.  They did see a US Battleship in the area.  https://www.zerohedge.com/commodities/damage-nord-stream-pipelines-unprecedented-may-have-been-sabotaged

There have be been huge protests in Germany calling for the opening of the Nordstream. The US promised to shut down the pipeline if Russia invaded, and it was our national international interest to stop it.  The US wants to sell Natural Gas, and the price finally makes sense. Poland was so interested that they celebrated the attack. Ukraine had been researching ways to take it down.  Every member has an interest in stopping Russia from negotiating. All parties had leaders and parties with political interest, and their concerns about upcoming elections were evident given the results in Italy and Sweden.  
https://citizenfreepress.com/breaking/huge-protest-german-citizens-demand-end-to-sanctions-on-russia/

Honestly, how would the US know about the attack?  It was the US.  There's no reason the Russians would blow-up their own assets.  That would be like accusing Bush of 9/11.

Yeah, thanks for the conspiracy theories, but let's now wait what the facts will say.

Btw, the Reichstag fire was perpetrated by a communist just like the Nazis said, it just happened to be in the Nazis' interest to use it for their own propaganda. So given that it wasn't a false-flag it's not really much of an argument to underline your case.

Btw, you just likened the U.S. government to Hitler's regime.

Btw, I happen to know what is happening in the very country I live in, thank you very much.

Btw, I wouldn't exactly characterize 3,000 thousand protestors as "huge", given that we also have protest marches in this country (on other issues like climate, for instance) with hundreds of thousands of participants.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15179 on: September 27, 2022, 07:13:06 PM »

Why not?

Does it matter? No matter what the truth is, each party will keep believing what they want to believe. How about we all just say it was God and move on?

LOL. This is going to have major impacts on people, as well as the conflict.  The more I read, the more I see circumstantial facts pointing to the US, Germany, and Ukraine.   I think it's probably best for your side to call it an accident. 

See what I mean? The fact that you can’t let this go is telling.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15180 on: September 27, 2022, 07:18:41 PM »

Why not?

Well. Case closed y'all. Does anyone have contact info for the United Nations?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15181 on: September 27, 2022, 07:26:56 PM »

Russia may just have been Tonkin'ed. Not that I feel very sorry for Russia. If you try to change the rules of the game, you give others the leeway to do the same.
I would not be surprised if NATO used this as an excuse to do things they otherwise could not do. Sure, there is likely going to be lies said over the course of the coming months about this. It does not matter too much. This is means to an end.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15182 on: September 27, 2022, 08:08:24 PM »

Color Me skeptical whether this Mutual support will go beyond exchange of flattering tweets, especially to any point Italy is called on to contribute to the Ukraine's defense either with direct payments or suffering cut off of Russian gas.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15183 on: September 27, 2022, 08:12:28 PM »

I guess the point that woman tweeting the photos was making is that all the Russian Soldiers are menacing 65+ year-old Men that fall asleep while on duty, but it's clear to anyone with a brain that those three photos are staged at some location, and the fourth photo of women legitimately crying at some other location was added to give it more credibility.  LOL

This is not at all as clear as you claim.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #15184 on: September 27, 2022, 08:12:35 PM »

Color Me skeptical whether this Mutual support will go beyond exchange of flattering tweets, especially to any point Italy is called on to contribute to the Ukraine's defense either with direct payments or suffering cut off of Russian gas.

It probably depends on how much power Berlusconi has over the government and whether he’d be willing to bring down the incoming government over this.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15185 on: September 27, 2022, 08:13:46 PM »

On the other hand, Anton Geraschenko (UA official), claimed UA is responsible, then deleted the post.

When the US military conducts secret sabotage operations they typically inform the President, the Vice President, the joint chiefs, and all the Polish MEPs, so this leak is pretty believable.

In all seriousness I could see either side doing it. Russia wasn’t using the pipelines at this point anyway, so attacking the pipeline allows them to blame the west/US and potentially hurt their international position. On the other hand, attacking the pipeline does prevent Russia from reversing course with regards to gas. I just don’t know if the US would take such direct action in the conflict. Everything so far has been weapons supply or intelligence sharing.

This is actually a pretty good hypothesis
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15186 on: September 27, 2022, 08:21:44 PM »

The Black Shirts don't want a bunch of Slavs resettling on Roman lands. That much we can be sure of. There can be bad motives for doing good things. 

Or, maybe, it's genuine.

And you're just spiteful because the color you don't like won an election in a country you don't live in.

Who on Earth should be happy about a fascist government being elected in any country? Serious question.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15187 on: September 27, 2022, 08:28:23 PM »

Probably because of this

Or maybe fleeing the "draft".  Hard to say.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15188 on: September 27, 2022, 08:31:40 PM »

So since apparently one of the "Hot Topics" of the day has to do with the "sabotage" of a couple Russian owned Natural Gas Pipelines, naturally got to check in to see what my "Old Mate" Sutton has to say on the topic.

We still don't know "who dunnit", but in theory we now have a couple possibilities floating around.

Here's a link to his original thread, where he postulates in theory had Russia carried out the sabotage mission would likely be either divers or AUVs.

Now we have his latest update:

BUMP--- Apparently Atlas is more interested in bickering about "opinions" versus "data".
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15189 on: September 27, 2022, 08:41:37 PM »

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15190 on: September 27, 2022, 09:24:04 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2022, 09:48:23 PM by Obama-Biden Democrat »

With Russia distracted with the war in Ukraine, Moldova should liberate Transnistria. There is no border that Russia has with Transnistria to provide support. Russia has a small garrison of around 1,500 soldiers.

There is a ammo depot in Transnistria that Moldova could send to Ukraine.
Hollywood
« Reply #15191 on: September 27, 2022, 09:36:30 PM »

So since apparently one of the "Hot Topics" of the day has to do with the "sabotage" of a couple Russian owned Natural Gas Pipelines, naturally got to check in to see what my "Old Mate" Sutton has to say on the topic.

We still don't know "who dunnit", but in theory we now have a couple possibilities floating around.

Here's a link to his original thread, where he postulates in theory had Russia carried out the sabotage mission would likely be either divers or AUVs.

BUMP--- Apparently Atlas is more interested in bickering about "opinions" versus "data".

It says June 17th on the top right you data whiz. How did nobody catch the most important data on the damn image?  Not one person?  The date is on the Tweet, June 18, so you got some comparison data already. LOL.  

BTW... Media starting to censor commentators and journalists that mention culpability of US and NATO members.  
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #15192 on: September 27, 2022, 09:41:46 PM »

It says June 17th on the top right you data whiz. How did nobody catch the most important data on the damn image?  Not one person?  The date is on the Tweet, June 18, so you got some comparison data already. LOL.  

BTW... Media starting to censor commentators and journalists that mention culpability of US and NATO members.

good, the media shouldn't be giving the russkie lies any attention back here in the free world
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15193 on: September 27, 2022, 10:09:19 PM »

Hollywood
« Reply #15194 on: September 27, 2022, 10:46:56 PM »

You guys are just posting two tweets about how certain modes of attack require a host ship to drop divers and underwater drones.  Then there is a third tweet from June 18 that is labeled by the poster as the "Latest Update".  That's disinformation.  It isn't fact or opinion.  It's a lie. 

The only facts in the tweet relate to the feasibility of blowing up the pipeline.  Sure.  It's feasible if you want to get caught.  lol.
Hollywood
« Reply #15195 on: September 27, 2022, 10:59:15 PM »

"A former Polish Defense Minister, Radek Sikorski, has attributed to the United States the sabotage of two pipelines, Nord Stream 1 and 2, which carry natural gas from Russia to Germany. “Thank you, USA,” Sikorski wrote on Twitter. Sikorski was Minister of National Defense from 2005 - 2007 and served as Deputy Minister of National Defense and Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, previously. He is currently an elected member of the European parliament."
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2022/09/27/us-blew-up-russian-gas-pipelines-nord-stream-1--2-says-former-polish-defense-minister/?sh=320b7a95312e
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #15196 on: September 27, 2022, 11:52:03 PM »

Why would the US do this? It's against our strategic interest. Now all the European governments probably hate us.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #15197 on: September 28, 2022, 12:13:16 AM »

"A former Polish Defense Minister, Radek Sikorski, has attributed to the United States the sabotage of two pipelines, Nord Stream 1 and 2, which carry natural gas from Russia to Germany. “Thank you, USA,” Sikorski wrote on Twitter. Sikorski was Minister of National Defense from 2005 - 2007 and served as Deputy Minister of National Defense and Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, previously. He is currently an elected member of the European parliament."
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2022/09/27/us-blew-up-russian-gas-pipelines-nord-stream-1--2-says-former-polish-defense-minister/?sh=320b7a95312e

You say that as if his status as an MEP gives him any insight into American military operations. Pretty sure that Sikorski isn't in the loop lol
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15198 on: September 28, 2022, 12:39:13 AM »

Amazing that Pro-Putin Atlas apologists are rushing to blame this on the USA...

Not quite sure what crack pipes they are smoking, but despite the history of US and UK covert actions during the Cold War, this definitely doesn't pass the "sniff test".

Sounds to me a lot more like former Soviet BS Propaganda and Special Ops, which really is not only ancient, but in fact has been extensively used in recent years as part of Kremlin Propaganda after the collapse of the Soviet Empire, where Mr. Putin became dictator in chief.

Atlas "Putinbots" are out in force today, but yet they are effectively showing their true colors when it comes to their absolute support for the current Fascist Russian Regime in Power.

Update from the Warzone:

Bearing all this in mind, it’s not altogether surprising that some observers are already looking at Russia’s capabilities, at least, for prosecuting this kind of attack on undersea pipelines.

In the past, we’ve looked at how the Russian Navy can use a variety of means to conduct covert operations on the seabed. Normally, it’s been assumed that these special mission submarines, deep-sea submersibles, and unmanned underwater vehicles are charged with investigating and disrupting undersea cables. As well as cutting and tapping communications cables, however, such craft could also be used to interfere with gas pipelines, for instance.

Most prominent among these exotic craft is likely the Project 09852 Belgorod, a large mothership submarine that is suitable for transporting other smaller submarines, like the nuclear-powered midget submarine Losharik, which it can bring covertly to and from a mission area. However, the Belgorod is currently thought to be operating in the White Sea and the Baltic Sea is not where these large submarines operate.

Moreover, it’s also highly likely that pipelines could be covertly sabotaged even without recourse to using high-tech submarines and other underwater vehicles. At least one of the leaks is thought to be in water shallow enough for divers to operate and transporting explosive charges would certainly be feasible. However, divers or unmanned underwater vehicles would at least require some kind of support vessel, although this wouldn’t have to be operating in the vicinity.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/sabotage-suspected-in-undersea-gas-pipeline-explosions-in-the-baltic
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #15199 on: September 28, 2022, 12:44:27 AM »

My buddy IRL has a theory that Poland or Germany did it to obviate domestic political pressure to bring down energy prices by importing Russian gas.
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 605 606 607 [608] 609 610 611 612 613 ... 1166  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies