Armenia—Azerbaijan Conflict Aftermath: Discord in Armenia (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:32:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Armenia—Azerbaijan Conflict Aftermath: Discord in Armenia (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Armenia—Azerbaijan Conflict Aftermath: Discord in Armenia  (Read 13452 times)
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« on: September 12, 2022, 10:06:00 PM »

And he arrived just a few days ago. Unfortunate timing.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 10:04:17 AM »

The... situation, depending on how it unfolds, may actually compel me to shuft my volunteer focus from agricultural and environmental topics.

Great Armenia: The History of the Catholingian Empire: 2023-2659

It all began when Cathexander the Great, then a humble American scholar seeking international opportunities, arrived in Armenia for a three month program focusing on agriculture and the environment. Only a few days later, the Azeris invaded. Suddenly, Cathexander was drawn to a very different calling. Agriculture and the environment would have to fall by the wayside for a time...
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 08:30:24 AM »

It's irrelevant whether NK is "ethnically Armenians" or "populated by Armenians" etc. – neither changes the fact that it is internationally recognized Azeri territory and illegally occupied by Armenian forces. One cannot simply ignore or invalidate this just because the Armenians appear more likable.

Objectively, Azerbaijan has the right to reclaim all of its sovereign territory (if necessarily, by force). It does not have the right to attack Armenia proper, of course.

This has nothing to do with likeability, if Armenia is defeated NK is getting ethnically cleansed.

Pure speculation on your part. Just claiming that something terrible may happen is a weak argument compared to national sovereignty/territorial integrity as core principles of international law – and since one can neither prove nor disprove it, it's a pretty pointless one as well.
I care about freedom and justice, not "territorial integrity". In many cases they align, but sure as hell not in this one. Avoiding ethnic cleansing is more important than preserving the Soviets' deliberately retarded borders that were specifically intended to do exactly this.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 08:55:27 AM »

Armenia has just invoked CSTO’s self-defence clause:

It claims Azerbaijan now occupies its territory (presumably, not just Artsakh).
This is a win-win: helps Armenia, and hopefully diverts some Russian troops from Ukraine too.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 03:30:37 PM »

Wait, you're out there right now? Stay safe indeed. Jesus.

Only went for a few minutes as part of my duties as observer of history. Trust me, I'm in no mood for tear gas on a work night.
Please be careful. I can easily see things turning ugly if it's realized that there's an American at this kind of protest.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 04:37:49 PM »

It’s genuinely appalling the lack of coverage this has gotten compared to the slightest discontent between Israel-Palestine.
Well, at least you can count on Adam Schiff talking about this.

I wonder how long it'll take until we start hearing the natsec ghouls say it's okay for Azerbaijan to ethnically cleanse Armenians because Russia and Armenia are allies.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 11:54:56 AM »

Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2022, 01:19:21 PM »

The US has taken a much stronger stance on the latest Azeri aggression than Russia and CSTO lol.

Iran's taken a pretty strong stance too. Strange part of the world.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 08:04:51 AM »

Not much to report on the ground (in Yerevan at least). Apparently, Nancy Pelosi is in town, and because of this, the streets were lined with American flags on Saturday. Last Wednesday a Russian volunteer and I were placed in the awkward position of being on a patio full of Armenians lamenting their lack of external support.

Interesting thread in r/Azerbaijan this morning asking why Armenia has better diplomacy--referring to the recent expressions of public support from France, the United States, etc. Some correctly see this as primarily rhetorical support. Others have an intriguing theory that foreign powers like to prop up Armenia to create a wedge between Azerbaijan and Turkey and prevent the true, full power of a united Turkic state. That feels sort of like the Azerbaijani version of the typical Russia-originating conspiratorial views on the region.

As referred to in a separate thread from a few days ago, there apparently have been people expressing the desire to see the sons of their politicians and oligarchs die in a military engagement, apparently a reaction against the fact that Azerbaijani casualties are working class.
Top English comment: "...their existence creates severe instability in the region. Turkey and Azerbaijan are closely related and relative countries. Without Armenia, there would be a close and unrivaled cooperation."

We're not the bad guys, I swear!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies