Mattis okays sending Marines to the border
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:10:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mattis okays sending Marines to the border
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mattis okays sending Marines to the border  (Read 1404 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2018, 02:38:49 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-trump/mattis-approves-u-s-troops-at-border-with-mexico-idUSKCN1N029H
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Nice to see our government having reaaal important priorities here. So what, are they going to bomb the caravan?

It feels like when the AFD parliament leader said that the German army should protect the border. In this case the AFD is in government with a supermajority and isn’t a laughing matter.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 02:43:51 PM »

Put the Marines to work making our big beautiful glorious wall with 50 cal machine gun turrets every 100 yards. Purple heart
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 02:48:14 PM »

I don't see a problem with that, it's not like they're going to shoot the foreigners on sight, just patrolling the border.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 02:56:48 PM »

I don't see a problem with that, it's not like they're going to shoot the foreigners on sight, just patrolling the border.
Honestly I am doubting that they’ll resist. Trump would need something to get his base to turn out.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 03:02:31 PM »

They should set up an enlistment booth.  I know the Army missed it's recruiting quota this year and any migrant that makes it to the border will have walked over a 1,000 miles to get there.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 03:15:03 PM »

Why is Mattis doing this when its purely for political reason. The Caravan is in Chiapas and they're only walking 20-30 miles max a day. That means that the caravan won't arrive till around the 1st of December.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 03:15:09 PM »

They're not even doing that. They legally (and for very good reasons) cannot. All they're going to do is rear eschlon support. And they're scheduled to be gone before the refugee caravan will likely even arrive.

Just election PR. Trump does know his audience and has some real talent as a showman.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 04:31:10 PM »

If Obama had deployed military troops within US borders, Infowars would be melting down about Jade Helm and posse comitatus.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 04:37:03 PM »

The cherry on top of this absolutely horrendous week! I knew Mattis would turn out to resemble a typical Trump Cabinet member eventually. What a pointless exercise. The entire invasion force during D-Day probably wouldn't be able to cover the border, let alone a measly 800. This is especially troubling because it's endorsing the idea that this refugee caravan is somehow dangerous. Meanwhile, if the events of this week are any indication, it's our own fellow Americans that we should be the most worried about.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 05:56:17 PM »

There's absolutely no reason to proceed past Mexico if they're genuine refugees seeking shelter from dangers at home. Mexico is deemed safe enough by international agencies that manage refugee affairs. If they were genuine refugees fleeing a life or death situation, Mexico would be good enough for them. But, it's not; they're economic migrants and should be treated as such. Stop them at the border, deny all applications for refugee status, and keep them in/return them to Mexico if their homeland really isn't safe enough for them.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 06:16:50 PM »

There's absolutely no reason to proceed past Mexico if they're genuine refugees seeking shelter from dangers at home. Mexico is deemed safe enough by international agencies that manage refugee affairs. If they were genuine refugees fleeing a life or death situation, Mexico would be good enough for them. But, it's not; they're economic migrants and should be treated as such. Stop them at the border, deny all applications for refugee status, and keep them in/return them to Mexico if their homeland really isn't safe enough for them.
I’m placing a dollar they’ll topple AMLO over this.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 06:41:40 PM »

The AMLO government should provide those with shelter and assistance if they can prove that they're in mortal danger at home. I'm sure more than a few of them are. The rest, his government can return home. But, Mexico and America need to start working together to solve the issues plaguing Central America that are, certainly, largely the fault of American interference (recently and historically). The sheer level of violence and corruption in the region rivals that of wartorn areas and is both unnecessary and unacceptable.

A good first step is for the international community to sanction corrupt officials and to cease all foreign aid to governments deemed too corrupt. Next, we need to decriminalize drugs, thereby reducing the flow of money into the hands of cartels and their allies in those government. Third, we need to tackle the flow of arms going south of the border. And, finally, we need to work with Mexico to help fund shelters to protect these refugees until they can be returned, safely, to their homelands.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 06:44:19 PM »

The AMLO government should provide those with shelter and assistance if they can prove that they're in mortal danger at home. I'm sure more than a few of them are. The rest, his government can return home. But, Mexico and America need to start working together to solve the issues plaguing Central America that are, certainly, largely the fault of American interference (recently and historically). The sheer level of violence and corruption in the region rivals that of wartorn areas and is both unnecessary and unacceptable.

A good first step is for the international community to sanction corrupt officials and to cease all foreign aid to governments deemed too corrupt. Next, we need to decriminalize drugs, thereby reducing the flow of money into the hands of cartels and their allies in those government. Third, we need to tackle the flow of arms going south of the border. And, finally, we need to work with Mexico to help fund shelters to protect these refugees until they can be returned, safely, to their homelands.
excellent words but I meant that jokingly the marines will overthrow the Mexican government
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 07:21:27 PM »

Honestly I am doubting that they’ll resist. Trump would need something to get his base to turn out.
the caravan likely won't reach the border by the 6th. I would not be surprised, however, if it does happen when they reach the border.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 12:26:05 PM »

Now thousands are expected to guard it. I guess the Posse Comitatus statute is dead.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-trump/thousands-of-u-s-troops-could-be-sent-to-mexico-border-source-idUSKCN1N31VG
I highly doubt they’ll be stationed on standby with Trump as Commander. Goodbye Bill of Rights.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 02:53:31 PM »

Mattis: Military already moving equipment to southern border
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2018, 03:36:55 PM »

Trump, FOX, Republicans, etc. so desperately wants this to be the closing topic of the midterms. It's up to the rest of the mainstream media if they allow it to be so. Let's say I have little trust in them not to fall into the trap of this non-issue.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2018, 03:39:47 PM »

I don't see the issue with this. Wouldn't we be safer if the caravan was stopped and the people turned away? These aren't refugees with whom we are dealing.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2018, 03:51:38 PM »

Like the last time this happend, a large portion will end up staying in Mexico. The "caravan" right now is only about 4,000 people and they are thousands of miles away. That number will continue to go down. This is a total PR stunt to try to change the topic before the election.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 04:37:21 PM »

This is a massive PR stunt.

Anyone remember "Children Overboard" to get John Howard re-elected.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_Overboard_affair

If photographed correctly with a couple of interviews, this will play into the hands of Republicans.

They really need a live web-cam that the American people can watch showing the impending illegal activity in the early stages.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2018, 04:47:14 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/pentagon-send-5-200-troops-u-s-mexico-border-operation-n925866?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

under Trump's orders to stop the migrant caravan....expected to be in place prior to Election day.
elcorazon

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2018, 04:52:00 PM »

This is not America. So sad that we have this situation with a deranged political party taking rash action and ignoring serious problems. We are on the cusp of a fascist regime. I sure hope that we get a blue wave next week and that leads to some sense of moderation from the Republicans or I honestly fear we become Germany in the 30's.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2018, 04:54:50 PM »

This is not America. So sad that we have this situation with a deranged political party taking rash action and ignoring serious problems. We are on the cusp of a fascist regime. I sure hope that we get a blue wave next week and that leads to some sense of moderation from the Republicans or I honestly fear we become Germany in the 30's.

True, if this was America, they'd be sent to kill more Yemeni children for Saudi Arabia's religious war.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2018, 04:57:52 PM »

100 years ago we had a lot more troops deployed at the border to protect against lawlessness and mass crossings. NBD.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2018, 05:43:56 PM »

It's time for the media to call a spade a spade.  "Operation Faithful Patriot" isn't "divisive" or "polarizing".  It's fascist.  Point blank.

100 years ago we had a lot more troops deployed at the border to protect against lawlessness and mass crossings. NBD.

What "lawnessness" and which "mass crossings" are you talking about?  The so-called caravan is still over a thousand miles away.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies