Which US states have cultural ties with more than one region? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:05:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which US states have cultural ties with more than one region? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which US states have cultural ties with more than one region?  (Read 1227 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: June 01, 2020, 11:03:43 AM »

The vast majority ... in fact, looking at a map, I would say these are the only states that DON'T have areas with ties to more than one region or large subregion:

NEW ENGLAND - Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island & Vermont
MIDWEST (BIG TEN COUNTRY) - Iowa, Michigan and Wisconsin
GREAT PLAINS - North Dakota and South Dakota
MOUNTAIN WEST - Utah
SOUTHWEST - Arizona and New Mexico

This is subjective and depends on how you carve out the regions, but using an example of my home region's states that weren't included:

IL: As said above, the southern third of Illinois is quite culturally Southern (i.e., "Little Egypt").
IN: Though I am less knowledgeable about it, Southern Indiana is also starting to get fairly "Southern" in some areas.
KS: While the rest of the state becomes more "Plainsy," the Kansas City suburbs have less of that feel.
MN: Western Minnesota is kind of the inverse of Nebraska in that its population likely "defers" to the Dakotas a bit more, and therefore the Plains.
MO: A big mess.
NE: Omaha has a feel decidedly more like Iowa, whereas the rest of Nebraska (west of Lincoln, anyway) has a much more Plains-like (or "Western Midwest") aspect to its culture.
OH: A bit of Appalachia in there.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 01:02:29 PM »

The vast majority ... in fact, looking at a map, I would say these are the only states that DON'T have areas with ties to more than one region or large subregion:

NEW ENGLAND - Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island & Vermont
MIDWEST (BIG TEN COUNTRY) - Iowa, Michigan and Wisconsin
GREAT PLAINS - North Dakota and South Dakota
MOUNTAIN WEST - Utah
SOUTHWEST - Arizona and New Mexico

This is subjective and depends on how you carve out the regions, but using an example of my home region's states that weren't included:

IL: As said above, the southern third of Illinois is quite culturally Southern (i.e., "Little Egypt").
IN: Though I am less knowledgeable about it, Southern Indiana is also starting to get fairly "Southern" in some areas.
KS: While the rest of the state becomes more "Plainsy," the Kansas City suburbs have less of that feel.
MN: Western Minnesota is kind of the inverse of Nebraska in that its population likely "defers" to the Dakotas a bit more, and therefore the Plains.
MO: A big mess.
NE: Omaha has a feel decidedly more like Iowa, whereas the rest of Nebraska (west of Lincoln, anyway) has a much more Plains-like (or "Western Midwest") aspect to its culture.
OH: A bit of Appalachia in there.

I agree with your post, but I really think there are at least a handful of states (starting with Alabama and Mississippi) that could only be described as one Southern region.

They’re both clearly Southern all the way through, but both would straddle subregions within the South, IMO (e.g., the Deep South, Appalachia, maybe “the Gulf,” etc.).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies