Ohio redistricting thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:57:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Ohio redistricting thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ohio redistricting thread  (Read 92583 times)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 21, 2020, 07:50:06 PM »

Blairite's Ohio Map

OH-01
East Cleveland Suburbs, Youngstown, Warren
Currently represented by Tim Ryan and Dave Joyce, although only Ryan lives in the district.
Safe R

OH-02
East Cleveland and Southeast Suburbs
40% black
Currently represented by Marcia Fudge and Dave Joyce.
Safe D

OH-03
West Cleveland and Suburbs
Currently represented by Bob Gibbs, Anthony Gonzalez, Jim Jordan, and Marcy Kaptur, although only Gonzalez lives in the district.
Likely D

OH-04
Akron and Canton
Currently represented by Tim Ryan, Marcia Fudge, Bill Johnson, Bob Gibbs, and Anthony Gonzalez, although none live in the district.
Likely R

OH-05
West Cleveland Suburbs, Sandusky
Currently represented by Marcy Kaptur, Bob Gibbs, and Jim Jordan, although none live in the district.
Likely R

OH-06
Toledo
Currently represented by Marcy Kaptur and Bob Latta
Likely R

OH-07
Mansfield, Wooster, Canton
Currently represented by Bill Johnston, Bob Gibbs, Troy Balderson, and Anthony Gonzalez, although only Gibbs lives in the district.
Safe R

OH-08
Lancaster, Zanesville, Athens
Currently represented by Troy Balderson, Steve Stivers, and Bill Johnson, although only Balderson and Johnson live in the district.
Safe R

OH-09
Marion, Lima, Urbana
Currently represented by Jim Jordan, Bob Latta, and Warren Davidson, although only only Jordan and Davidson live in the district.
Safe R

OH-10
North and West Columbus suburbs
Currently represented by Jim Jordan, Troy Balderson, Joyce Beatty, and Steve Stivers, although only Stivers lives in the district.
Tossup

OH-11
Columbus
Currently represented by Joyce Beatty and Steve Stivers, although only Stivers lives in the district.
Safe D

OH-12
Springfield, Xenia, Kettering
Currently represented by Steve Chabot, Warren Davidson, Mike Turner, and Steve Stivers, although only none live in the district.
Safe R

OH-13
Hamilton, Middletown, Dayton
Currently represented by Warren Davidson and Mike Turner, although only Turner lives in the district.
Safe R

OH-14
Chillicothe, Portsmouth, Hillsboro
Currently represented by Brad Wenstrup, Bill Johnson, Mike Turner, and Steve Stivers, although none live in the district.
Safe R

OH-15
Cincinnati
Currently represented by Steve Chabot and Brad Wenstrup
Likely D

Summary:
2 safe D
2 likely D
1 tossup
3 likely R
7 safe R

I think the tossup becomes a pretty strongly Dem district with 2020 numbers, as it drops the non Delaware/Franklin portion and is trending left. All in all, I think this would generally be a 10-5 map through the decade.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 10:39:52 PM »

I gotta say, I don't like these Cincy suburban districts which completely encircle the Cincy district. IMO a wedge going north and a wedge going east is a better map.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 10:56:52 PM »

I gotta say, I don't like these Cincy suburban districts which completely encircle the Cincy district. IMO a wedge going north and a wedge going east is a better map.

Why would you draw two rural-suburban districts instead of one district that is clearly suburban?

Because shape-wise, it just isn't that compact. I get that you need to take into account COIs, but I like my districts to look more like blobs or rectangles than bend around a lot. Besides, a district from Butler County up towards Dayton is arguably more suburban and consistently built up than this bent district that keeps getting proposed.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 12:57:45 PM »

Why would you draw two rural-suburban districts instead of one district that is clearly suburban?

Because shape-wise, it just isn't that compact. I get that you need to take into account COIs, but I like my districts to look more like blobs or rectangles than bend around a lot. Besides, a district from Butler County up towards Dayton is arguably more suburban and consistently built up than this bent district that keeps getting proposed.

"Compactness" is just a proxy for COIs. It doesn't have value in and of itself. Aesthetics as an inherent matter (as opposed to how they might implicate COIs) aren't a consideration for redistricting.

Maps looking pretty is absolutely an important issue!

As for the Cincy suburbs - I'm kinda in favor of a district made up of Butler + Warren + Greene.   I know Greene is more associated with Dayton, but it's still suburbia like Butler and Warren.   You can still make a great Dayton district with Miami and Clark (the 2019 population numbers work pretty good for this, it's very close).
Yup, I agree.

Splitting Columbus east/west actually works out way better for building up an AA opportunity seat.   I could actually see them doing something like that in the commission.
Pairing the northwest quadrant of Franklin with Delaware makes a clean, coherent CD and leaves the remaining 3/4 of Franklin as AA opportunity.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies