Texas swing (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:08:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Texas swing (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Texas swing  (Read 4853 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« on: December 26, 2012, 03:23:03 AM »

and the party itself is effectively owned by old white trial lawyers who are only Democrats because the GOP is the party of tort reform.

I laughed slightly too much at this.

It's true, though. The TX Dems can't win any elections for two main reasons:

1. They have zero connections to any business or industry other than plaintiffs' attorneys. The Republicans have a monopoly on oil & gas.

2. They can't find a Kathleen Sebelius-type candidate who can steal away enough Republicans to win an election. I'm not talking about Paul Sadler-types from rural East Texas. I'm talking about a centrist from a major city who has private sector connections to facilitate fundraising and who can win over white suburban voters.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 12:00:51 AM »

2. They can't find a Kathleen Sebelius-type candidate who can steal away enough Republicans to win an election. I'm not talking about Paul Sadler-types from rural East Texas. I'm talking about a centrist from a major city who has private sector connections to facilitate fundraising and who can win over white suburban voters.

Well Bill White was supposed to be that, but then he lost by double digits to Rick Perry anyway.

He didn't do nearly enough to court Republicans. Something like 30% of the GOP primary voters that year voted for Kay Bailey Hutchison (myself included). He should have gone after those people with reckless abandon.

And I never understood why he refused to release his tax returns. Perry refused to debate him as a result and it made him give off this vibe of being a mysterious, rich Mitt Romney type. If he had gotten Rick to have an "oops" moment during that election, who knows what might have happened.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies