FL-GOV Chamber of Commerce: Gillum +4 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:53:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  FL-GOV Chamber of Commerce: Gillum +4 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FL-GOV Chamber of Commerce: Gillum +4  (Read 3223 times)
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« on: September 12, 2018, 11:09:53 AM »
« edited: September 12, 2018, 11:14:38 AM by Zaybay »

This is the nail in the "tossup FLGOV race" narrative. If Gillum is leading by 4 in an R pollster, then DeSantis is not close. This is a lean D race, folks.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 11:22:20 AM »

This is the nail in the tossup FLGOV race. If Gillum is leading by 4 in an R pollster, then DeSantis is not close. This is a lean D race, folks.

How exactly are tossups rated by most people? I saw someone else post that RCP generally rates any race that is consistently within 5 points or less on either side as tossups, and 5 - 10 are Lean D/R. So just as an example, this would still be a tossup by RCP's system.

On the other hand, my own views are generally not strictly data-oriented. If the race is consistently D+2 or D+3 or whatever, and I don't believe there is any reason it will ever go below that, then I'd put it as Leans D myself, even though it's still within the MoE (more or less).
I use polls and state variables

In FL for instance, Gillum has a lead of around 3 points. Normally, this would point to a tossup. But the state, FL, is known for being resistant to waves and swinging, so Gillum leading by that is actually worth more than, say, a Democrat in MA leading by 4. There is also the time placement of the polls(this should have been Ron's best moment) and other small things that lead me to say Lean D.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 01:54:06 PM »

If Gillum wins, it's hard for me to imagine Nelson losing.  Who on earth would vote for both Gillum and Scott?

Ticket-splitters maybe?

I mean, obviously.  But what would be the profile of someone voting for a progressive like Gillum and a right winger like Scott?  I don't think there will be very many people like that.
FL is also not known for ticket splitting. Im pretty sure that if Gillum wins, Nelson wins as well.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies