Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.*** (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:27:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.*** (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***  (Read 106912 times)
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2021, 07:17:42 PM »

UPDATED SCHEDULE:
March 2
2:15pm • Raimondo (Senate Vote)
Rouse (Cloture) immediately following the Raimondo vote

March 3
10:00am • Becerra (Committee Vote; Finance)
10:00am • Tai (Committee Vote; Finance)
Possible/Expected Votes (not confirmed):
TBA • Rouse (Senate Vote)

Non-Cabinet-Level
Gensler/Chopra (Banking Hearing, 3/2 at 10am)
Young (Budget Hearing, 3/2 at 11am)
Mallory/McCabe (Environment Hearing, 3/3 at 10am)
Trottenberg (Commerce Hearing, 3/3 at 10am)
Sherman/McKeon (Foreign Relations Hearing, 3/3 at 10am)
Adeyemo (Finance Committee Vote, 3/3 at 10am)
Kahl (Armed Services Hearing, 3/4 at 9:30am)
Turk (Energy Hearing, 3/4 at 10am)
Young/Miller (HSGAC Hearing, 3/4 at 10:15am)
Monaco (Judiciary Hearing, 3/9 at 9am)

Confirmed
Blinken, Yellen, Austin, Vilsack, Buttigieg, Granholm, Cardona, McDonough, Mayorkas, Haines, Thomas-Greenfield

Awaiting Full Senate Vote
Raimondo (3/2), Fudge (TBA), Walsh (TBA), Cardona (TBA), Rouse Cloture; 3/2 Final; 3/3), Garland (TBA), Regan (TBA), Guzman (TBA)

Awaiting Committee Vote
Haaland (TBA), Becerra (3/3; Finance), Tai (3/3), Becerra (TBA; HELP), Tanden (TBA; HSGAC), Tanden (TBA; Budget)

Awaiting Committee Hearing
None

Committee Hearings Not Yet Scheduled
Lander

Today, the Senate confirmed Cardona as Education Secretary and invoked cloture to advance the nomination of Raimondo to be Commerce Secretary. Also, Merrick Garland was reported out of committee with a 15-7 vote. Tomorrow, there will be a final vote on the Raimondo nomination with a cloture vote on Rouse following. This morning, Schumer said that after Rouse is confirmed, the Senate will shift focus to the American Rescue Plan so we may not get any more confirmation votes this week.

NOTE: I have added in my best guesses for some of the full Senate cloture/final votes. They are in italics.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2021, 02:17:05 PM »

Voting has begun on the Raimondo nomination.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2021, 02:56:23 PM »

Raimondo was easily confirmed 84-15. A majority of the Republican Conference, like yesterday when cloture was voted on, sided with the Democrats to confirm the new Commerce Secretary. 15 Republicans voted no and there was one not voting. Cloture vote on Rouse is happening now.

Democratic Nays (0):
None

Republican Nays (15):
Shelby (AL)
Tuberville (AL)
Cotton (AR)
Rubio (FL)
Scott (FL)
Kennedy (LA)
Hawley (MO)
Sasse (NE)
Hoeven (ND)
Cramer (ND)
Scott (SC)
Hagerty (TN)
Cruz (TX)
Barrasso (WY)
Lummis (WY)

Not Voting (1):
Blackburn (TN)
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2021, 03:05:20 PM »

Hawley voted AYE on Rouse!
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2021, 03:30:19 PM »

If the vote to invoke cloture today is any indication, Rouse could very well pass Austin in terms of highest vote total in the Senate (93). Cloture was just invoked 94-5. A vast majority of the Republican Conference voted yea and even Josh Hawley was among the yea votes. There were only five nays and there was one not voting. While it is not on the schedule, it seems likely that the final vote on Rouse will take place tomorrow.

Democratic Nays (0):
None

Republican Nays (5):
Tuberville (AL)
Cotton (AR)
Scott (FL)
Paul (KY)
Lummis (WY)

Not Voting (1):
Blackburn (TN)
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2021, 05:42:28 PM »

Caught me by surprise...they are voting on Rouse now.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2021, 05:58:08 PM »

Lummis switched her vote from earlier and is now a yea, so Rouse is certainly on track to have the largest affirmative vote total so far.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2021, 06:25:27 PM »

Cecilia Rouse has been confirmed with the largest affirmative vote so far (95-4) and I don't see anyone else breaking her vote total. For goodness sake, even HAWLEY voted in favor...I wonder why they couldn't get the other four and just confirm her with unanimous consent. Anyway, that's probably it for confirmations with the rest of the week focusing on the COVID-19 relief package. It's too bad that they couldn't have squeezed Garland in after he cleared committee on Monday. Oh well.

Democratic Nays (0):
None

Republican Nays (4):
Tuberville (AL)
Cotton (AR)
Scott (FL)
Paul (KY)

Not Voting (1):
Blackburn (TN)
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2021, 11:48:58 PM »

UPDATED SCHEDULE:
March 4
9:30am • Kahl (Hearing; Armed Services)
10:00am • Haaland (Committee Vote; Energy)
10:00am • Turk (Hearing; Energy)
10:15am • Young/Miller (Hearing; HSGAC)

March 9
9:00am • Monaco/Gupta (Hearing; Judiciary)

March 10
9:45am • Young (Hearing; HSGAC)
10:00am • Graves (Hearing; Commerce)

CABINET-LEVEL OFFICIALS:
Confirmed
Blinken, Yellen, Austin, Vilsack, Raimondo Buttigieg, Granholm, Cardona, McDonough, Mayorkas, Haines, Thomas-Greenfield, Rouse

Garland (TBA), Becerra (TBA), Fudge (TBA), Walsh (TBA), Regan (TBA), Guzman (TBA), Tai (TBA)

Awaiting Committee Vote
Haaland (3/4)

None

Lander

Tai and Adeyemo were unanimously reported out of committee today with Becerra receiving a split vote. Haaland will have her committee vote tomorrow and hopefully Murkowski will vote for her so we don't have another split decision out of the Energy Committee. With Collins supporting Haaland though, her confirmation is assured. On the schedule above, I also merged the non-cabinet-level hearings/votes with the cabinet-level hearings/votes. Cabinet-level officials will be bolded.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2021, 10:59:46 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2021, 01:21:54 PM by AndyHogan14 »

In the Senate today, the COVID relief bill (and Ron Johnson's inane request to have the entire bill read out loud) has been front and center but in confirmation news, Haaland was reported favorably out of committee with an 11-9 vote (Murkowski voting in favor). With Manchin, Collins, and Murkowski on board, she is certain to be confirmed even if it does end up close.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2021, 12:30:59 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2021, 12:34:26 PM by AndyHogan14 »

Schumer just said something about executive calendar 12, which would be Marcia Fudge. Seems like she might be next to be confirmed early in the week. They obviously did not want to take her (or Haaland) out of the House until the COVID-19 package was taken care of.

EDIT: Cloture has been filed for both Fudge, Garland, and Regan.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2021, 01:01:59 PM »

Schumer just said in his press conference that Haaland will be next after the three that he filed cloture on today.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2021, 01:21:36 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2021, 08:49:21 PM by AndyHogan14 »

We have votes officially scheduled for Fudge, Garland, and Regan next week. Both Fudge and Garland should be in place on Wednesday and Regan by Thursday. Also, in Schumer's press conference, he mentioned that Haaland should be next meaning that it is possible that her cloture vote could take place Wednesday or Thursday with a final vote coming on Thursday or Friday.* The Senate will not be in session on Monday.

EDIT: Rather than post a whole new schedule for a couple of committee votes, I just updated this one. Young's Budget committee vote has been scheduled for Wednesday and Turk's Energy committee vote has been scheduled for Thursday.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2021, 10:50:06 PM »

So uh, if the House bill won't come up for a vote until Thursday, maybe confirming Fudge and Haaland tomorrow might not be such a great move?

Fudge would still have to officially resign before taking over as HUD secretary. Even if she is confirmed on Wednesday, she could hold off on resigning from the House until the COVID bill is passed if final passage is pushed back to Thursday. She just couldn't be sworn in until she officially resigns. The same is true for Haaland, but I don't see her getting a final confirmation vote before the COVID relief bill is passed, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue for her.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2021, 10:56:29 PM »

Can I just say that I really appreciate and enjoy reading your updates.

Thank you. I was originally keeping track of it for my students, but now that I have started I want to follow the whole thing to the end (and by end, I mean when the entire cabinet and the most important deputies have been confirmed).
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2021, 05:34:35 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2021, 05:41:27 PM by AndyHogan14 »

Voting has begun to invoke cloture on the Fudge nomination. Once that is over, they will move to immediately vote on invoking cloture for the Garland nomination.

Can I just say that I really appreciate and enjoy reading your updates.

Thank you. I was originally keeping track of it for my students, but now that I have started I want to follow the whole thing to the end (and by end, I mean when the entire cabinet and the most important deputies have been confirmed).

Any chance we could convince you to keep it going for the next two years? 

I don't think I'd be able to keep track of everything once we return to in-person school. I suppose if a major cabinet official resigns and there's a new nomination, then maybe. Haha.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2021, 06:22:14 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2021, 06:26:28 PM by AndyHogan14 »

Cloture is invoked on the Fudge nomination by a comfortable margin 69-30. Most Republicans voted no, but there were 19 Republican ayes. There were no Democratic defections. Voting to invoke cloture on the Garland nomination has begun.

Republican Ayes (19):
Murkowski (AK)
Sullivan (AK)
Young (IN)
Braun (IN)
Grassley (IA)
Moran (KS)
Marshall (KS)
McConnell (KY)
Collins (ME)
Blunt (MO)
Hoeven (ND)
Portman (OH)
Inhofe (OK)
Graham (SC)
Scott (SC)
Rounds (SD)
Romney (UT)
Capito (WV)
Johnson (WI)

Democratic Noes (0):
None

Not Voting (1):
Cramer (ND)
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2021, 07:00:38 PM »

Cloture is invoked on the Garland nomination by a margin similar to what Fudge just received, 70-29. Most Republicans voted no, but there were 20 Republican ayes (including good ol' Cocaine Mitch). There were no Democratic defections. Final votes for both Fudge and Garland will take place tomorrow with a vote to invoke cloture on the Regan nomination in the late afternoon/early evening. Schumer also filed cloture earlier today on the Haaland nomination so we could see a vote on her late this week or early next week.

Republican Ayes (20):
Murkowski (AK)
Grassley (IA)
Ernst (IA)
Moran (KS)
McConnell (KY)
Cassidy (LA)
Collins (ME)
Blunt (MO)
Burr (NC)
Tillis (NC)
Portman (OH)
Inhofe (OK)
Lankford (OK)
Graham (SC)
Thune (SD)
Rounds (SD)
Cornyn (TX)
Romney (UT)
Capito (WV)
Johnson (WI)

Democratic Noes (0):
None

Not Voting (1):
Cramer (ND)
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2021, 08:57:33 PM »

March 10
9:45am • Young (Hearing; HSGAC)
10:00am • Graves (Hearing; Commerce)
10:00am • Young (Committee Vote; Budget)
2:00pm • Gensler/Chobra (Committee Vote; Banking)
12:00pm • Fudge (Final Vote)
2:15pm • Garland (Final Vote)
Imm. Following • Regan (Cloture Vote)
apx. 5:45pm • Regan (Final Vote)

TBA • Young (Committee Vote; Budget)

March 11
10:00am • Turk (Committee Vote; Energy)
TBA • Haaland (Cloture Vote)

March 16
10:00am • Su (Hearing; HELP)

CABINET-LEVEL OFFICIALS:
Confirmed
Blinken, Yellen, Austin, Vilsack, Raimondo, Buttigieg, Granholm, Cardona, McDonough, Mayorkas, Haines, Thomas-Greenfield, Rouse

Fudge (Final: 3/10), Garland (Final: 3/10), Regan (Cloture/Final: 3/10), Haaland (TBA), Becerra (TBA), Walsh (TBA), Guzman (TBA), Tai (TBA)

Awaiting Committee Vote
None

None

Lander, New OMB Nominee

Today, cloture was invoked for Fudge and Garland and their final confirmation votes will be held tomorrow. Cloture will be invoked on Regan tomorrow after the Garland vote with his final vote coming two hours after that. Harris is going to have a busy day swearing in three cabinet-level officials tomorrow and/or Thursday with Fudge, Garland, and Regan all likely being confirmed. Schumer also filed cloture for Haaland meaning that she could be confirmed by the end of the week or early next week.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2021, 01:04:20 PM »

Fudge was easily confirmed 66-34 with 16 Republican ayes. Everyone voted and there were no Democratic defections.

Republican Ayes (16):
Murkowski (AK)
Sullivan (AK)
Young (IN)
Grassley (IA)
Moran (KS)
McConnell (KY)
Collins (ME)
Blunt (MO)
Hoeven (ND)
Cramer (ND)
Portman (OH)
Graham (SC)
Scott (SC)
Rounds (SD)
Romney (UT)
Capito (WV)

Democratic Noes (0):
None

Not Voting (0):
None
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2021, 03:02:15 PM »

Garland was also easily confirmed 70-30 with 20 Republican ayes. Everyone voted and there were no Democratic defections. I still wonder what the vote would have been had he come up for a vote for the Supreme Court...

Republican Ayes (20):
Murkowski (AK)
Braun (IN)
Grassley (IA)
Ernst (IA)
Moran (KS)
McConnell (KY)
Cassidy (LA)
Collins (ME)
Blunt (MO)
Burr (NC)
Tillis (NC)
Portman (OH)
Lankford (OK)
Graham (SC)
Thune (SD)
Rounds (SD)
Cornyn (TX)
Romney (UT)
Capito (WV)
Johnson (WI)

Democratic Noes (0):
None

Not Voting (0):
None
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2021, 03:24:19 PM »

Cloture has been invoked for Regan (65-35) and his final Senate vote will come in around two hours. There were 15 Republican ayes, and notably, McConnell voted no despite being a reliable "aye" vote for Biden's nominees.

Republican Ayes (15):
Murkowski (AK)
Braun (IN)
Grassley (IA)
Collins (ME)
Wicker (MS)
Hyde-Smith (MS)
Fischer (NE)
Burr (NC)
Tillis (NC)
Cramer (ND)
Portman (OH)
Graham (SC)
Rounds (SD)
Lee (UT)
Romney (UT)

Democratic Noes (0):
None

Not Voting (0):
None
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2021, 07:59:52 PM »

Earlier, Regan was confirmed (66-34) with Rubio changing his vote from a no to an aye with everyone else (I believe) staying the same. There were 16 Republican ayes and zero Democratic defectors. Also, tomorrow, the Senate will be voting to discharge the Becerra nomination and to invoke cloture on the Haaland nomination.

Republican Ayes (16):
Murkowski (AK)
Rubio (FL)
Braun (IN)
Grassley (IA)
Collins (ME)
Wicker (MS)
Hyde-Smith (MS)
Fischer (NE)
Burr (NC)
Tillis (NC)
Cramer (ND)
Portman (OH)
Graham (SC)
Rounds (SD)
Lee (UT)
Romney (UT)

Democratic Noes (0):
None

Not Voting (0):
None
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2021, 08:31:40 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2021, 11:51:51 PM by AndyHogan14 »

Today, while most of the attention was on the House for passing the COVID relief bill, the Senate was also pretty busy with four roll call votes. Fudge and Garland were both confirmed 66-34 and 70-30 respectively. After that, cloture was invoked on the Regan nomination, 65-35, with his final confirmation coming two hours after that, 66-34 (Rubio switched). Tomorrow will not be quite as busy, at noon the full Senate will vote to discharge Becerra from the finance committee (because it was a tie vote in committee) and that will be followed by a vote to invoke cloture on the Haaland nomination at 1:30. I am sure Schumer will file cloture shortly after Becerra is discharged. That means, if the Senate is in session on Friday, they could vote to invoke cloture on Becerra and vote to confirm Haaland at that time. If not, both votes would be pushed back to next week.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2021, 01:20:44 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2021, 02:03:59 PM by AndyHogan14 »

Becerra is discharged with just a bare majority (51-48), only Collins defected from the Republican side with all other Republicans voting no (Burr did not vote). There were no Democratic defections.

Republican Ayes (1):
Collins (ME)

Democratic Noes (0):
None

Not Voting (1):
Burr (NC)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies