Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 05:18:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here  (Read 150304 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« on: October 08, 2019, 10:59:04 PM »

I'm very close to the end of my undergrad degree — three classes in progress, all fairly easy, plus a thesis that's in very good shape — but my god does every step closer feel like an eternity. I just wanna be done!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 06:46:03 PM »

Cast my vote (early voting!) for BERNARD today. Bizarre process — every booth has a display and a printer, you get handed a card based on your precinct, stick it in the machine, and it pulls up the ballot for you. You make your selections digitally, then it prints out a filled-in ballot based on your selections, you take it and stick it in a machine in another room, and that's how you actually cast the ballot.

Also voted for the longshot progressive Congressional candidate and a bunch of other positions that no one on this board is inclined to care about.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 07:41:07 PM »

I-IL –> O-CA
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 06:49:51 PM »

Thesis is a high pass, so I graduate with honors ✓
Found a not-awful place in the worst housing market in America ✓
Passed kidney stone ✓
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 06:22:17 PM »

Found a not-awful place in the worst housing market in America ✓
No longer the case! Fortunately, now looking for a lease takeover in the best housing market for finding one of those. Still I-IL –> O-CA, though I might keep my FL registration now that I don't need that sweet sweet in-state tuition...
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 08:01:36 PM »

No longer the case! Fortunately, now looking for a lease takeover in the best housing market for finding one of those. Still I-IL –> O-CA, though I might keep my FL registration now that I don't need that sweet sweet in-state tuition...

What has prompted the move?
I graduated with an unemployable major in a made-up area of study, so I am prolonging my entry into the workforce for a few years while accumulating hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt for a degree in a notoriously oversupplied field. I have convinced myself that this is a reasonable decision that will benefit my career prospects.

This specific update is switching schools — got off a waitlist.

Why have you left us?  You're leaving me as then only South Sider on Atlas, and right after I lost Dan L.  Sad  Sad
It's heartbreaking Broken heart I'll miss Chicago, but it is 70° year-round in Palo Alto...
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 09:24:53 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2020, 04:42:56 PM by Priest of Moloch »

Ah, damn. I very much sympathize with your plight and wish you the best. I was feeling a similar sense of hopelessness a few years ago. You were urban planning, weren't you? While I imagine employment would be pretty niche I hadn't thought of it as nigh impossible.
Not quite, that'd be far too practical (and my undergrad has a particular disdain for practical majors). I was urban studies, which is all the theory with none of the skills.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 04:45:28 PM »

Not quite, that'd be far too practical (and my undergrad has a particular disdain for practical majors). I was urban studies, which is all the theory with none of the skills.

Given the fate of the only urban studues person I know, have you looked into GIS work?
Definitely an area I explored (I had a few research assistantships that were GIS-based) but not something I was particularly talented at or wanted to do long-term. I was overexaggerating the career concerns — the debt isn't ideal, but the loan repayment program for anyone making a "low income" (less than $200k or so) is generous, and the oversupply of lawyers is primarily a problem for the lower half of the rankings.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies