Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 10:43:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 99
Author Topic: Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here  (Read 149557 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1275 on: October 21, 2019, 05:58:33 PM »

also about two miles from my house, pray for dallas, we are hurting Sad
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1276 on: October 22, 2019, 12:26:57 PM »

Was only Voter #5 in my precinct when I went to vote in our mayoral election this morning before work (the incumbent Republican mayor is running unopposed).  There are some contested alderman races, but it's all non-partisan, which probably makes people not know who to vote for.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1277 on: October 22, 2019, 02:03:00 PM »

Glad you’re ok Bagel! Stay safe!
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1278 on: October 22, 2019, 02:38:15 PM »

I've reached the max # of users ignored. Please ban them so I can remove them!
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1279 on: October 22, 2019, 02:41:37 PM »

Thanks man, I'm ok, but so much of the community around is wrecked, it missed my house by about 3/4's of a mile.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1280 on: October 23, 2019, 12:48:06 PM »

On Amtrak heading to Philly. Hungover AF, and the train isn't helping.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1281 on: October 23, 2019, 04:46:28 PM »

I've reached the max # of users ignored. Please ban them so I can remove them!
Just unignore me!

(You’re on a list somebody gave me of people who have ignored me. Unsure of the truth of it, but most made sense, besides you.)

Was only Voter #5 in my precinct when I went to vote in our mayoral election this morning before work (the incumbent Republican mayor is running unopposed).  There are some contested alderman races, but it's all non-partisan, which probably makes people not know who to vote for.
That’s sad that voters need to see parties to know who to vote for.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1282 on: October 23, 2019, 05:33:55 PM »

i think i realize why i've been so down these recent months. since i graduated and even got my dream job, i actually have a lot more free time and that messes me up brah.

when i was still in school and a bookkeeper and all i was pretty much doing something all the time. Like I usually did 80 hours plus between work and school and extracurriculars. But like, now I'm just working and usually around 55-60 hours a week.

That's way too much free time. I need to find something else to occupy my time other than just partying between. That worked when I was in school and had less free time but partying too much gets bad. I don't want to lose my liver and all you know.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1283 on: October 23, 2019, 06:51:16 PM »

An update on my life since I've moved back from Tallahassee:

Today I had to help my dad move several tires that one of our scumbag tenants abandoned after he quit paying the rent. Fortunately, they're worth a lot of money, and we're putting liens on a few of his trucks that he's abandoned here for months to get back the money were owed. Considering my dad's 40+ year career in heavy equipment, we're looking at a nice windfall. The tires themselves were three times my weight, which made for a brutal and grueling day, but hey, it's worth it. I'm covered in dirt, I smell like ass, and I'm tired, but tomorrow is going to be a nice easy office day.

As Vice President of the company (it's easy to be VP when you're the only employee), I'm making a good deal of money for a 23 year old. Keep in mind, all I really do is pick up trash and collect checks/cash from tenants. Physically demanding days like today are actually quite rare for me. My goal for 2020 is to learn more of the mechanical aspects of the job (like operating the forklift so I can move semitrailers) in order to help my dad ease himself into semi-retirement.

Considering the fact that six months ago I was considering suicide over the fact that I was being forced to suspend my education to work for my dad....well, holy crap am I glad I didn't do it. This is the best job ever! The business literally runs itself and we work only four-five hours a day most days. I work 9-1:30ish on cleaning up the yard, collecting outstanding rent (if any exists), or just making sure that the hood riff-raft aren't milling about the property.

I honestly can't believe I wasted eight years of my life wanting to be a political operative when I could have done this all along! But then again, I'd have never gone to Tally in that scenario, which means I'd never have made the friends I made or had the opportunity to drop acid on any given Thursday night for three years. Plus I literally met Trump. That was cool too.

What we do is sorta threefold:

1. My dad owns an entire block of industrially zoned land, which he's slowly put together piece by piece since 1989. We primarily rent out the bulk of it to a semi-truck bodyshop/detailer who is widely known and respected for his work across South Florida, yet he somehow can't seem to pay the $6,000 a week rent half the time. There is also a small truck rental chain that occupies the tiny corner lot, and I like to go hang out with those guys because they're funny as hell and like to party.

2. Truck Parking. We rent spaces to over the road truckers to store their rigs for $350 a month. Most places like this charge $15 a night for this, so we're constantly booked up. That being said, I don't like my dad's idea to covert the place into a full on Truck Stop. The local infrastructure can't support it, the construction will be costly and take years, and we'd need to dramatically expand rapidly in order to do so. I really hope he keeps that in his mind as a fantasy, where it belongs. I'm not competent enough to run that sorta enterprise after he's gone. But he's the boss so whatever.

3. Heavy Equipment sales. My dad buys and sells a lot of dump trucks, etc, most of which go overseas to Haiti. He does this for fun, and I have no interest or involvement in this side of the business. He spent his whole day working on and under a dump truck himself while I dealt with the 20 or so tires, and I considered myself the lucky one. But he just loves trucks. As long as he breaks even, which he *almost* always does, then I see no harm in it. I don't think I'll continue that when I take the reins.

Just today I had the realization that I'll likely die a small-scale millionaire, which came with a strange mixture of joy and guilt. On one hand, it's all being handed down to me, which denies me the dignity of having earned my money. But imagine what I can do if I just keep this up for like, 40 or so years? I can literally ensure that my autistic youngest brother is totally cared for throughout my life. My biggest question, which has haunted me my whole life, effectively was answered today.

Oh and I'm going to start Ketamine Infusion therapy tomorrow too, which means that my depression (hopefully) will fade away with all of my insecurities about the future. Life is.....actually good right now. Hell, even my other brother is clean and sober for once. I have literally nothing to complain about, aside from having to deal with Boca drivers midway through my daily commute.
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #1284 on: October 23, 2019, 07:26:05 PM »

Marked my Atlas location for https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=googlemap

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1285 on: October 24, 2019, 04:32:25 PM »

Just got officially diagnosed with bipolar one. No more stoner Sanchez Sad
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1286 on: October 24, 2019, 05:25:54 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2019, 06:09:37 PM by Santander 🐸 »

Out and about doing a bit of shopping in UES today. Friend introduced me to the Australian Consul General for NY, who in turn introduced me to some more interesting Aussies. Smiley

Edit: also just ran into Andrew Ross Sorkin by Times Square... Some days in NY...
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1287 on: October 24, 2019, 11:52:14 PM »

An update on my life since I've moved back from Tallahassee:

Today I had to help my dad move several tires that one of our scumbag tenants abandoned after he quit paying the rent. Fortunately, they're worth a lot of money, and we're putting liens on a few of his trucks that he's abandoned here for months to get back the money were owed. Considering my dad's 40+ year career in heavy equipment, we're looking at a nice windfall. The tires themselves were three times my weight, which made for a brutal and grueling day, but hey, it's worth it. I'm covered in dirt, I smell like ass, and I'm tired, but tomorrow is going to be a nice easy office day.

As Vice President of the company (it's easy to be VP when you're the only employee), I'm making a good deal of money for a 23 year old. Keep in mind, all I really do is pick up trash and collect checks/cash from tenants. Physically demanding days like today are actually quite rare for me. My goal for 2020 is to learn more of the mechanical aspects of the job (like operating the forklift so I can move semitrailers) in order to help my dad ease himself into semi-retirement.

Considering the fact that six months ago I was considering suicide over the fact that I was being forced to suspend my education to work for my dad....well, holy crap am I glad I didn't do it. This is the best job ever! The business literally runs itself and we work only four-five hours a day most days. I work 9-1:30ish on cleaning up the yard, collecting outstanding rent (if any exists), or just making sure that the hood riff-raft aren't milling about the property.

I honestly can't believe I wasted eight years of my life wanting to be a political operative when I could have done this all along! But then again, I'd have never gone to Tally in that scenario, which means I'd never have made the friends I made or had the opportunity to drop acid on any given Thursday night for three years. Plus I literally met Trump. That was cool too.

What we do is sorta threefold:

1. My dad owns an entire block of industrially zoned land, which he's slowly put together piece by piece since 1989. We primarily rent out the bulk of it to a semi-truck bodyshop/detailer who is widely known and respected for his work across South Florida, yet he somehow can't seem to pay the $6,000 a week rent half the time. There is also a small truck rental chain that occupies the tiny corner lot, and I like to go hang out with those guys because they're funny as hell and like to party.

2. Truck Parking. We rent spaces to over the road truckers to store their rigs for $350 a month. Most places like this charge $15 a night for this, so we're constantly booked up. That being said, I don't like my dad's idea to covert the place into a full on Truck Stop. The local infrastructure can't support it, the construction will be costly and take years, and we'd need to dramatically expand rapidly in order to do so. I really hope he keeps that in his mind as a fantasy, where it belongs. I'm not competent enough to run that sorta enterprise after he's gone. But he's the boss so whatever.

3. Heavy Equipment sales. My dad buys and sells a lot of dump trucks, etc, most of which go overseas to Haiti. He does this for fun, and I have no interest or involvement in this side of the business. He spent his whole day working on and under a dump truck himself while I dealt with the 20 or so tires, and I considered myself the lucky one. But he just loves trucks. As long as he breaks even, which he *almost* always does, then I see no harm in it. I don't think I'll continue that when I take the reins.

Just today I had the realization that I'll likely die a small-scale millionaire, which came with a strange mixture of joy and guilt. On one hand, it's all being handed down to me, which denies me the dignity of having earned my money. But imagine what I can do if I just keep this up for like, 40 or so years? I can literally ensure that my autistic youngest brother is totally cared for throughout my life. My biggest question, which has haunted me my whole life, effectively was answered today.

Oh and I'm going to start Ketamine Infusion therapy tomorrow too, which means that my depression (hopefully) will fade away with all of my insecurities about the future. Life is.....actually good right now. Hell, even my other brother is clean and sober for once. I have literally nothing to complain about, aside from having to deal with Boca drivers midway through my daily commute.

Nice, my dad had a small tech gig and he and his buddies got bought out, and he had some other ideas and wanted to use some of what he got to do another small startup for me and work with me and then hand it down as something that I could have, but then he realized I’m stupid and barely even know how to login to a computer lol. So yeah haha
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1288 on: October 25, 2019, 12:57:08 AM »

They don't let you be a stoner if you're bipolar?
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1289 on: October 25, 2019, 07:05:39 AM »

psychoactive drugs are very bad for the delicate mood management required to cope with bipolar.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1290 on: October 25, 2019, 08:28:04 AM »

Went out for a long night of drinks with a senior executive at my firm. Astonishingly hungover, and even more behind on work and school, but this is what I'm good at...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1291 on: October 25, 2019, 09:53:38 AM »

psychoactive drugs are very bad for the delicate mood management required to cope with bipolar.
Apparently I'd be better off eating a handful of shrooms than smoking weed, apparently it's that bad for bipolar one. I am going to begin weaning myself off weed (I haven't done psychedelics for weeks and can drop them like a hot potato), which shouldn't be hard because I'm not an addict nor do I smoke all day long like many of my friends. Instead of buying five grams a week, I'll just start buying two, then after a few weeks one, and then eventually none at all. I don't drink at all anyway so abandoning alcohol isn't an issue either.

I was bipolar yesterday, I was bipolar today, and I'll be bipolar tomorrow. We've all known this for years (I know I certainly did), so it's not like my life is going to change in a negative way. I still have a great job and a great life, and that isn't going to go away because of a simple diagnosis.

It does mean that I now have a clear path forward in dealing with my emotional health, and that I'll be able to move forward more constructively. So this is honestly kind of good news.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1292 on: October 25, 2019, 12:40:35 PM »

Just landed at O'Hare on my flight from LaGuardia. Sitting beside me was the first black Senator in Canadian history. Nice man.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1293 on: October 25, 2019, 02:27:14 PM »

Just landed at O'Hare on my flight from LaGuardia. Sitting beside me was the first black Senator in Canadian history. Nice man.

Anne Clare Cools is a woman.

Fine, African-Canadian.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1294 on: October 25, 2019, 07:12:29 PM »

Apparently I'd be better off eating a handful of shrooms than smoking weed, apparently it's that bad for bipolar one. I am going to begin weaning myself off weed (I haven't done psychedelics for weeks and can drop them like a hot potato), which shouldn't be hard because I'm not an addict nor do I smoke all day long like many of my friends. Instead of buying five grams a week, I'll just start buying two, then after a few weeks one, and then eventually none at all. I don't drink at all anyway so abandoning alcohol isn't an issue either.

I was bipolar yesterday, I was bipolar today, and I'll be bipolar tomorrow. We've all known this for years (I know I certainly did), so it's not like my life is going to change in a negative way. I still have a great job and a great life, and that isn't going to go away because of a simple diagnosis.

It does mean that I now have a clear path forward in dealing with my emotional health, and that I'll be able to move forward more constructively. So this is honestly kind of good news.

I'm glad you were able to get a diagnosis. Good luck, man.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1295 on: October 26, 2019, 02:03:23 AM »
« Edited: October 26, 2019, 02:11:48 AM by Bagel23 »

YES!!!!!!!!!!!
BJP no longer holds the majority of seats in Haryana!!!!! Can't believe I just found that out now.

Granted they will still get their coalition
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1296 on: October 26, 2019, 08:21:32 PM »

new family suv

GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #1297 on: October 26, 2019, 11:28:35 PM »

Just got my 4th college acceptance from UNC Charlotte today. That means I'm just waiting on Penn State (which is way to expensive, and I know that)

I really don't have any main stressful things going on, except perhaps scholarship stuff, but even then thanks to my SAT scores I wouldn't be paying much for a lot of these schools. South Alabama's brings me down to 9k a year, and I don't think that factors in departmental scholarship and such.

The only other stress recently was the fact that my English teacher is just not very good. He seems to care more about his coaching than teaching, it's annoying. I was sick for a whole week a while back and he didn't respond to any of my emails asking for the work we did, so I've spent the last few weeks struggling to make it up.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1298 on: October 26, 2019, 11:29:48 PM »

Just got my 4th college acceptance from UNC Charlotte today. That means I'm just waiting on Penn State (which is way to expensive, and I know that)

I really don't have any main stressful things going on, except perhaps scholarship stuff, but even then thanks to my SAT scores I wouldn't be paying much for a lot of these schools. South Alabama's brings me down to 9k a year, and I don't think that factors in departmental scholarship and such.

The only other stress recently was the fact that my English teacher is just not very good. He seems to care more about his coaching than teaching, it's annoying. I was sick for a whole week a while back and he didn't respond to any of my emails asking for the work we did, so I've spent the last few weeks struggling to make it up.

Congrats bro. Where else you got
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #1299 on: October 26, 2019, 11:43:42 PM »

Congrats bro. Where else you got
Western Kentucky, the aforementioned South Alabama, and Louisiana Monroe. All have good meteorology programs and very nice campuses when I visited. As of now, South Alabama is my #1, Mobile is such a great city, and the campus was great too. It just felt right.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 99  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies