California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 07:24:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California Senate 2024 - Schiff (D) vs Garvey (R)  (Read 65895 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« on: February 14, 2023, 03:35:13 PM »

my Queen still lives!  (at least until January 3, 2025, that is)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2023, 01:54:01 PM »

I hope Weber gets appointed and runs herself.  Schiff, Porter and Lee are all pretty lame.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2023, 05:37:15 PM »

I've gone ahead and written a rough draft of a statement for Gavin Newsom that he can feel free to use:

"A few years ago, I pledged that, if tasked with the duty to make another appointment to one of California's U.S. Senate seats, I would name an African-American woman to the seat. At the time, it was clear to me that this was an absolute necessity. The ascendence of then-Senator Kamala Harris to the Vice Presidency had left the United States Senate without representation for Black women, something that I and many others found, and still find, unacceptable.

Fortunately, since I made that pledge nearly two and a half years ago, recent developments in U.S. Senate races in states like Delaware, Maryland, and potentially more to come have made it a near certainty that it will be the voters who will rectify this problem. I'm also cognizant of the fact that, for what is now the second time I can remember, a Black woman is a major, viable candidate for the U.S. Senate right here at home in our own upcoming election. I hope all Californians will join me in celebrating this incredible milestone.

I'm also cognizant of the fact that the first round of voting in our upcoming U.S. Senate election is far too close for comfort - less than half a year away - for me to unduly influence the democratic process by giving a candidate in that election an unfair advantage with an appointment to the seat.

That is why I'm incredibly pleased to share that former U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer has agreed to briefly come out of retirement to serve out the remainder of the late, great Senator Feinstein's term. Senator Boxer and Senator Feinstein long enjoyed a strong working relationship and friendship. She will return to the Senate with seniority, and there is nobody better to manage the transition from Senator Feinstein to our new Senator who will be elected next year, while also serving Californians ably and with distinction, than her."

Why would Lee’s supporters care about who gets a senate seat in Maryland or Delaware?  LOL

There is no smart political maneuvering Newsom can do to weasel out of this.   He said he would pick a Black woman, and every qualified Black woman he could appoint has pretty much lined up behind Lee.  If he follows through on his promise and appoints a Black woman only as a caretaker, he will be seen as pandering (which he, of course, was with his hypothetical commitment back in 2021.)

If these are the political instincts of one of the Democrats’ most potent rising stars, then I’m a pretty happy camper.  Why can’t Democrats just be normal and give the usual non-committals to hypotheticals of who gets appointed to a seat that isn’t even vacant?  If Newsom is committed to picking a Black woman, but he isn’t willing to appoint the one Black woman supported by the CBC and the Black CA establishment then who was his commitment even for? 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2023, 06:15:12 PM »

If he appoints Lee, it'll be the equivalent of urinating on California voters' feet with both middle fingers raised high in the air.  It'll also be an exceptionally pathetic and pointless display of both cowardice and general weakness. 

Why?  There is still going to be an election LOL
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2023, 06:25:02 PM »

Interesting.  I never noticed until now that Mississippi is the one state where both of its senators were initially appointed (that is, until Butler is sworn in later this week.) 

This streak is actually longer that you would think, too, as Thad Cochran technically also joined the senate via an appointment (he won an election in 1978, and got to start his term early after James Eastland resigned in December.  Eastland's retirement was to give Cochran a seniority advantage over the large 1978 senate class, which I'm surprised hasn't become a more common gimmick in the years' since.) 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies