VA Early Voting #s
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 03:47:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA Early Voting #s
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16
Author Topic: VA Early Voting #s  (Read 18272 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: October 29, 2021, 08:30:42 AM »

Looking at the early voting numbers, either the polls are headed for a huge miss, or election day turnout, especially in much of rural VA is going to be massive.

Or... the polls can be accurate too. This early voting data is not really telling much of a story. If anything, I expected much more early vote by now.

Is the premise here that the early vote total is "large" and therefore good for Democrats? How did we go through 2020 and still we can't comprehend how Dem skewed the early vote is and how R-skewed the election day vote is? That pattern is going to continue.

My point is that if the polls are accurate, I would expect massive ED turnout, especially in more Republican areas of the state, which would offset the early vote.

Well, I think you can expect that given we know large majorities of Republicans vote on election day, and Trump was completely counted out last year by the folks who were too deep into early voting statistics.

Also, a few Virginia polls I've seen so far indicate about 40% of the electorate is voting early. If that's the case... The Dems should want 2017 turnout or lower, otherwise it looks to be below that.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #226 on: October 29, 2021, 08:51:13 AM »

Right now we are at roughly 937,000 early votes cast.  Though with uncounted absentee ballots that were received or in transit back, the number is probably more like 970,000.  Friday and especially Saturday should be big days in most of the state.  So I'd peg overall early vote close to 1.2 million when all ballots are received.  1 million (and definitely less) would have been terrible for Terry.  1.5 million would have been amazing.  So I'd say this is just on course.  Though reports suggest that a higher proportion of early voters are Democrats than last time, especially in the Richmond area.  That's good because there seems to be an odd surge there, especially in Chesterfield. 

It appears that the areas which are surging more than usual are battlegrounds.  Perhaps the polarization in those areas is causing more turnout on both sides.  But at least for now it looks like Dems are outperforming in those battleground areas.

NOVA turnout is obviously very high and Fairfax is now well above the state average.  But that was to be expected when the satellite offices opened. 
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #227 on: October 29, 2021, 08:59:03 AM »

Right now we are at roughly 937,000 early votes cast.  Though with uncounted absentee ballots that were received or in transit back, the number is probably more like 970,000.  Friday and especially Saturday should be big days in most of the state.  So I'd peg overall early vote close to 1.2 million when all ballots are received.  1 million (and definitely less) would have been terrible for Terry.  1.5 million would have been amazing.  So I'd say this is just on course.  Though reports suggest that a higher proportion of early voters are Democrats than last time, especially in the Richmond area.  That's good because there seems to be an odd surge there, especially in Chesterfield. 

It appears that the areas which are surging more than usual are battlegrounds.  Perhaps the polarization in those areas is causing more turnout on both sides.  But at least for now it looks like Dems are outperforming in those battleground areas.

NOVA turnout is obviously very high and Fairfax is now well above the state average.  But that was to be expected when the satellite offices opened. 

The strongest counties in Richmond area are are Goochland and  Hanover
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #228 on: October 29, 2021, 09:03:46 AM »

The strongest counties in Richmond area are are Goochland and  Hanover

The voter analysis dives into who is actually voting in those counties, and Dems are voting at a higher rate.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #229 on: October 29, 2021, 10:19:44 AM »

Remember when Atlas thought Ossoff and Warnock wouldn’t win? Lol.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #230 on: October 29, 2021, 10:44:05 AM »

FWIW, TargetEarly estimates that the early/mail vote so far is

Dems 463K (54.0%)
Reps 264K (30.7%)
Unaffiliated 132K (15.3%)
= 858K

https://targetearly.targetsmart.com/g2021?state=VA

(looks like they're a day behind)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #231 on: October 29, 2021, 11:31:28 AM »

Definitely recall a Montana avatar saying that. 
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #232 on: October 29, 2021, 11:32:50 AM »

Ugh the needle soothed me that night. It caught that sh**t right away. It's really too bad we're not getting the needle this year.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #233 on: October 29, 2021, 11:34:25 AM »

Ugh the needle soothed me that night. It caught that sh**t right away. It's really too bad we're not getting the needle this year.

I never liked the needle.  I like following the precinct maps. 
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #234 on: October 29, 2021, 01:58:47 PM »

You got precinct level maps?!
Who is your dealer? Hook me up.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #235 on: October 29, 2021, 02:25:29 PM »

Dems 463K (54.0%)
Reps 264K (30.7%)
= 858K

My guess is that's far from an insurmountable hill for Youngkin to climb on Election Day.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #236 on: October 29, 2021, 02:38:44 PM »

Doesn't even NYTimes do precinct level?  I'd also check on vpap.org, they usually have really good election data.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #237 on: October 29, 2021, 02:39:53 PM »

Dems 463K (54.0%)
Reps 264K (30.7%)
= 858K

My guess is that's far from an insurmountable hill for Youngkin to climb on Election Day.

It's going to be a lot higher than 858K by Election Day + all the mail in ballots trickling in.  Definitely over a million but should be much more.  Current total is over 940K.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #238 on: October 29, 2021, 02:40:35 PM »

Looks like the rain has dampened turnout a bit today.  But tomorrow is the key day.  I expect a surge because it's the last weekend before Election Day.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #239 on: October 29, 2021, 02:46:27 PM »

I BLESS THE RAINS DOWN IN NOOOOOOVAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #240 on: October 29, 2021, 02:48:08 PM »

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #241 on: October 29, 2021, 02:52:56 PM »

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #242 on: October 29, 2021, 02:56:12 PM »

Thank goodness for memes, since to me, they're the only bearable thing about these threads right now.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #243 on: October 29, 2021, 02:59:18 PM »

Thank goodness for memes, since to me, they're the only bearable thing about these threads right now.
"I must laugh, because if I cannot laugh I will die" - Abraham Lincoln
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #244 on: October 29, 2021, 03:09:39 PM »

In all seriousness this rain is annoying. Some of us had Halloween plans, and by some of us, I don’t mean me (but I would prefer sun anyways)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #245 on: October 29, 2021, 03:10:21 PM »

Turnout Updates from key areas (as of yesterday):

Statewide Avg. = 15.8%

Fairfax = 17.3% (missing yesterday's mail ins)

Arlington = 19.5%

Alexandria = 18.7%

Richmond City = 13.2%

Charlottesville City = 15.7%

Henrico = 16.2%

Chesterfield = 21%

Hampton City = 13.4%

Loudoun = 16.3%

Prince William = 15.7%

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #246 on: October 29, 2021, 03:11:51 PM »

Doesn't even NYTimes do precinct level?  I'd also check on vpap.org, they usually have really good election data.
NYT only has precinct data after the elections are over anyways. Good for analyzing long term trends, but not helpful the night of.
I’ll check out vpap. In all honesty, I only need county level data, especially for a state like Virginia where the counties are mostly fairly small.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #247 on: October 29, 2021, 03:15:28 PM »

NYT only has precinct data after the elections are over anyways. Good for analyzing long term trends, but not helpful the night of.
I’ll check out vpap. In all honesty, I only need county level data, especially for a state like Virginia where the counties are mostly fairly small.

Countywide will work downstate but not for NOVA.  There are drastically different parts of Loudoun and Fairfax.  So knowing where the vote is coming from is key.  There are suburban areas like Great Falls and Vienna that could be pretty even.  Whereas there are downtown areas of Reston and McLean that are pretty much all condo skyscrapers and will go to T-Mac by extremely wide margins.

Similar for Loudoun.  The inner and city parts have big condo complexes.  But there are a lot literal farmlands near the WV border.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #248 on: October 29, 2021, 03:23:21 PM »

Countywide will work downstate but not for NOVA.  There are drastically different parts of Loudoun and Fairfax.  So knowing where the vote is coming from is key.  There are suburban areas like Great Falls and Vienna that could be pretty even.  Whereas there are downtown areas of Reston and McLean that are pretty much all condo skyscrapers and will go to T-Mac by extremely wide margins.

Similar for Loudoun.  The inner and city parts have big condo complexes.  But there are a lot literal farmlands near the WV border.
Yes but looking at the Independent cities in NoVa can give a bit of an idea.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #249 on: October 29, 2021, 03:50:27 PM »

Yes but looking at the Independent cities in NoVa can give a bit of an idea.

Well we know those will go for Terry by a wide margin.  If there is any drop off it's going to be in the wealthy suburban areas (Great Falls, Vienna, parts of McLean, Ashburn, etc.).
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies