JCP Convention Summer 2010: 8/19 Endorsements posted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:24:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  JCP Convention Summer 2010: 8/19 Endorsements posted
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15
Author Topic: JCP Convention Summer 2010: 8/19 Endorsements posted  (Read 30876 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: July 21, 2010, 11:22:35 PM »

I believe we should take note of what the RPP is doing, and also amend our bylaws to include the Fusion Ballot Reform Act.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #226 on: July 24, 2010, 05:59:14 AM »

Bump!  Lots of unfinished business here.

It appears to me that the by-laws as written thus far by Bacon King have passed this convention.  Let's get the complete by-laws package finalized and voted upon, so we can move on to office elections.

I agree with Barnes, we need something regarding the Fusion Ballot Reform Act.

I  would like to announce my candidacy for....something, I haven't decided what yet.  (Secretary or Vice Chair, maybe.)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #227 on: July 24, 2010, 06:10:52 AM »

I reaffirm of course interest in a Vice Chair position.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #228 on: July 27, 2010, 12:08:32 PM »

Can I suggest the Chair please place a 48 hour deadline to introduce amendments to the proposed bylaws, then we take a vote on the amendments, final bylaws, and officer positions ASAP? We've been dragging our feet on a vote here for weeks. We really need to get our officers in place ASAP in preparation for next month's elections.

Barnes is dead on about the need to address the Fusion Ballot Reform Act in our bylaws. I'm rather swamped with real life the next few days so I don't have time to craft one myself. Maybe this would a project for erstwhile potential officer candidates to demonstrate their enthusiasm and initiative? <hint, hint>
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #229 on: July 27, 2010, 07:56:38 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2010, 09:02:47 PM by The Doctor »

Article I: Regulations Concerning Party Officials

Section 1: Party Officials, Defined

A. The Chairman of the Jesus Christ Party shall be the leader and figurehead of the party. He shall manage the daily activities of the party and shall lead and organize other party officials in their duties. He shall chair all Jesus Christ Party Conventions unless this task is delegated by the Chairman to another member of the party.

B. The Vice Chairman of the Jesus Christ Party shall be the deputy leader of the party. He shall assist the Chairman in all areas of party operation. He shall serve as Acting Chairman in the event of a declared absence of the Chairman, or in the interim between a Chairman's resignation/dismissal and the election of a new Chairman.

C. The Secretary of the Jesus Christ Party shall be tasked with maintaining communication within the party, to ensure that all party members are informed and kept aware of the actions and decisions of the party. He shall be responsible for maintaining a list of all JCP members, and shall assist the Chairman in preparing full agenda for Jesus Christ Party Conventions.

D. The Whip of the Jesus Christ Party shall be tasked with assisting the Chairman in recruiting Atlasians into the party as new members. He shall also be responsible for assisting party candidates with voter contact about elections.

E. The Regional Chairmen of the Jesus Christ Party shall be tasked with representing and operating the party within his region, as well as to recruit candidates for regional elections. There shall be one Regional Chairman for each region of Atlasia. A Regional Chairman must legally reside within the region in which he chairs the Jesus Christ Party.

Section 2: Bylaws Concerning Party Officials

A. All Party Officials must be members of the Jesus Christ Party for at least thirty days before their election.

B. All Party Offices shall be elected by party members during Jesus Christ Party Conventions in the months of April, August, and December. Vacant Party Offices shall be filled at the following Jesus Christ Party Convention.

C. Elections for all Party Officials must occur at a Jesus Christ Party convention and must be immediately preceded by a nominating phase of two to five days. Elections shall use Instant Runoff Voting. A simple majority is sufficient for election to any Party Office.

D. No individual may serve simultaneously in more than one Party Offices, with the exception that a party member may serve as a Regional Chairman while also serving in one other Party Office.

E. Those who wish to run for a party office must have one nomination and have it seconded.  The candidate cannot nominate him or herself.  Those who nominate and second the candidate for an office cannot run for said office themselves.

F. Forty-eight hours before a convention, the Party Secretary must inform the SoFE of declared candidates who have qualified to run in an election for their respective office.  If the party wishes to prohibit a candidate from running for office, there must be a petition with 1/4 of the party's signatures.  A vote will then be held with a 3/5 majority in favor of prohibiting the candidate from running.  The Party Secretary will then inform the SoFE that the candidate has been banned.

G. Should there be any cross-party endorsements made for a particular candidate, said Candidate must have either that party's Chairman or Vice-Chairman to approve this endorsement.

H. The term for each party office will begin and end the first Friday after a Convention.

F. A vote to dismiss a Party Official from their Party Office may occur after one-fourth of all party members sign a petition for a vote on the dismissal of this Party Official. Immediately following the petition, the Party Chairman shall open an emergency convention with the purpose of holding a hearing regarding the impeachment and vote on this official's dismissal (unless the Party Chairman is the subject of the petition in question; then it shall be the task of the Party Secretary).

H. If any Party Official leaves the Jesus Christ Party, is removed from the Jesus Christ Party, or does not post on the Atlas forum for twenty days without a prior declaration of his absence, they are immediately removed from his Party Office.  

I. Should an official be removed from office, the Party Chairman will then appoint a replacement for the remainder of the term.  If the ousted official is the Party Chairman, then  the Vice-Chair will replace them.

Article II: Bylaws Concerning Party Activities

Section 1: Party Conventions, Defined

A. A Party Convention is hereby defined as a meeting of the members of the party with it's officials.

B. Each proper convention will take place in the months of February, June, and October.  These conventions will take place one week before the Presidential Election, and will end on the day of the Presidential Election.

C. All party elections are to take place during the proper Party Conventions.

D. All discussion of bylaws and amendments are to take place during proper Party Conventions.

E. Should their be an "improper" or "emergency" convention, it shall be at the Chairman's choice and discretion.

F. The Agenda of "improper" or "emergency" conventions are defined by the Party Chairman and the members of the party calling for said convention.

G. All impeachment hearings are to take place during "improper" or "emergency" Party Conventions.

Section 2: Other Party Activities

A. All other party activities, as defined by the members of the Jesus Christ Party, take place at the discretion of the members and Party Leadership.

B. The Chair and Vice-Chair must approve all other party activities.  There are no exceptions.

My proposed draft of the bill.  I don't see how the Fusion-Ballot Reform Act pertains to party elections, considering that it deals with multiple parties and said nominations.  However, I did add clauses E, F, and G which attempted to address it.

I have also included a second article defining the Party Conventions and Activities.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #230 on: July 27, 2010, 08:22:19 PM »

Beautiful!  Nice work.  Smiley
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #231 on: July 27, 2010, 09:03:26 PM »

I have re-amended my draft of the bylaws.  I have added a second article defining Party Conventions and other activities.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #232 on: July 27, 2010, 09:41:59 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2010, 07:32:43 PM by Pacific Lt. Gov The Doctor »

Ok, I got confused as to what exactly the Fusion Ballot Reform Act was for, so I re-re-re-edited the bylaws.

Article I: Regulations Concerning Party Officials

A. The Chairman of the Jesus Christ Party shall be the leader and figurehead of the party. He shall manage the daily activities of the party and shall lead and organize other party officials in their duties. He shall chair all Jesus Christ Party Conventions unless this task is delegated by the Chairman to another member of the party.

B. The Vice Chairman of the Jesus Christ Party shall be the deputy leader of the party. He shall assist the Chairman in all areas of party operation. He shall serve as Acting Chairman in the event of a declared absence of the Chairman, or in the interim between a Chairman's resignation/dismissal and the election of a new Chairman.

C. The Secretary of the Jesus Christ Party shall be tasked with maintaining communication within the party, to ensure that all party members are informed and kept aware of the actions and decisions of the party. He shall be responsible for maintaining a list of all JCP members, and shall assist the Chairman in preparing full agenda for Jesus Christ Party Conventions.

D. The Whip of the Jesus Christ Party shall be tasked with assisting the Chairman in recruiting Atlasians into the party as new members. He shall also be responsible for assisting party candidates with voter contact about elections.

E. The Regional Chairmen of the Jesus Christ Party shall be tasked with representing and operating the party within his region, as well as to recruit candidates for regional elections. There shall be one Regional Chairman for each region of Atlasia. A Regional Chairman must legally reside within the region in which he chairs the Jesus Christ Party.

A. All Party Officials must be members of the Jesus Christ Party for at least thirty days before their election.

B. All Party Offices shall be elected by party members during Jesus Christ Party Conventions in the months of February, June, and October. Vacant Party Offices shall be filled at the following Jesus Christ Party Convention.

C. Elections for all Party Officials must occur at a Jesus Christ Party convention and must be immediately preceded by a nominating phase of two to five days. Elections shall use Instant Runoff Voting. A simple majority is sufficient for election to any Party Office.

D. No individual may serve simultaneously in more than one Party Offices, with the exception that a party member may serve as a Regional Chairman while also serving in one other Party Office.

E. Those who wish to run for a party office must have one nomination and have it seconded.  The candidate cannot nominate him or herself.  Those who nominate and second the candidate for an office cannot run for said office themselves.

F. If the party wishes to prohibit a candidate from running for office, there must be a petition with 1/4 of the party's signatures.  A vote will then be held with a 3/5 majority in favor of prohibiting the candidate from running.

G. Should there be any cross-party endorsements made for a particular candidate, said Candidate must have either that party's Chairman or Vice-Chairman to approve this endorsement.

H. The term for each party office will begin and end the first Friday after a Convention.

I. A vote to dismiss a Party Official from their Party Office may occur after one-fourth of all party members sign a petition for a vote on the dismissal of this Party Official. Immediately following the petition, the Party Chairman shall open an emergency convention with the purpose of holding a hearing regarding the impeachment and vote on this official's dismissal (unless the Party Chairman is the subject of the petition in question; then it shall be the task of the Party Vice-Chairman).

J. If any Party Official leaves the Jesus Christ Party, is removed from the Jesus Christ Party, or does not post on the Atlas forum for twenty days without a prior declaration of his absence, they are immediately removed from his Party Office.  

K. Should an official be removed from office, the Party Chairman will then appoint a replacement for the remainder of the term.  If the ousted official is the Party Chairman, then  the Vice-Chair will replace them.

A. A Party Convention is hereby defined as a meeting of the members of the party with it's officials.

B. Each proper convention will take place in the months of February, June, and October.  These conventions will take place two weeks before the Presidential Election, and will end on the day of the Presidential Election.

C. All party elections are to take place during the proper Party Conventions.

D. All discussion of bylaws and amendments are to take place during proper Party Conventions.

E. Should their be an "improper" or "emergency" convention, it shall be at the Chairman's choice and discretion.

F. The Agenda of "improper" or "emergency" conventions are defined by the Party Chairman and the members of the party calling for said convention.

G. All impeachment hearings are to take place during "improper" or "emergency" Party Conventions.

A. All other party activities, as defined by the members of the Jesus Christ Party, take place at the discretion of the members and Party Leadership.

B. The Chair and Vice-Chair must approve all other party activities.  There are no exceptions.

Article III: Regarding Atlasian Elections

Section 1: General Elections

A. The JCP must have a Party Primary regarding multiple candidates for a single office.  A candidate can win this primary with a simple majority.  The candidate who has won will be placed on the party ballot line.  

B. The above will not be applicable to at-large Senate elections or Regional Assemblies with multiple openings.

C. Defeated candidates will be given the choice to concede or run as Independents.  

D. The Secretary will then inform the SoFE of which candidate will be on the ballot line.  This must be done at latest, 48 hours before the General Election, or there will be no JCP candidate(s) on said ballot line.

E. Should the Party wish to disown their candidate from the ballot line (in the case of a single candidate or last minute issues), a simple majority is required from the party.  The candidate is then given the choice to run as an independent or concede.

F. The Secretary will then inform the SoFE that said candidate will not appear on the ballot line (at least under the JCP).  This must be done 48 hours before the election, at the latest.  Otherwise, the disowned candidate will appear on the ballot line under the JCP.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #233 on: July 28, 2010, 10:10:51 AM »

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #234 on: July 28, 2010, 10:36:09 AM »

Awesome. Thanks for finishing the job for me. Advice: edit Article III to allow the party's nomination of multiple candidates for races that have multiple spots open (At Large Senator elections, assemblies, etc)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #235 on: July 28, 2010, 12:13:38 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2010, 12:15:41 PM by The Doctor »

Awesome. Thanks for finishing the job for me. Advice: edit Article III to allow the party's nomination of multiple candidates for races that have multiple spots open (At Large Senator elections, assemblies, etc)

Done.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #236 on: July 29, 2010, 05:06:01 PM »

It's looking good, though didn't most of us say we would prefer party elections during Presidential months? Smiley It kind of looks like it says we would use Apr/Aug/Dec in one part, and Feb/Jun/Oct in another for party elections.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #237 on: July 29, 2010, 07:32:02 PM »

It's looking good, though didn't most of us say we would prefer party elections during Presidential months? Smiley It kind of looks like it says we would use Apr/Aug/Dec in one part, and Feb/Jun/Oct in another for party elections.

Oh, forgot to edit that.  Fixed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #238 on: July 30, 2010, 06:52:55 AM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #239 on: July 30, 2010, 01:00:22 PM »

With that addition these look great. Smiley

Are there anymore amendments to consider, Mr. Chairman, or can we start a final vote?

Then its on to officer elections! Cheesy
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #240 on: August 01, 2010, 03:45:06 AM »

Bump, so we can try to un-chair bgwah.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #241 on: August 01, 2010, 12:05:59 PM »

Can we move things along here, please?

I motion that a final vote be called on the bylaws as proposed.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #242 on: August 01, 2010, 02:46:07 PM »

Can we move things along here, please?

I motion that a final vote be called on the bylaws as proposed.

I second this.  We need to get this done, we've been on it since June.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #243 on: August 01, 2010, 03:24:47 PM »

Alright, I've thought of something at the last minute. Should we throw in something about how someone needs to be a member for seven days before they are able to vote in party conventions? I'd prefer if these new bylaws replaced the previous amendments we've had for the sake of simplicity, so I think that's an important thing to add. I just made it a Section 3 called party membership, and also included a process to expel a member. Furthermore, I would like to throw in a little something about how we'll have a special election in August to fill the offices initially before moving to Feb/Jun/Oct for regular elections. I also slightly modified the convention part to say that we will have conventions in Apr/Aug/Dec--there are Senate elections and what not, afterall--but that the party elections still take lace during Feb/June/Dec.

With these minor changes in green:

Article I: Regulations Concerning Party Officials & Party Membership

B. All Party Offices shall be elected by party members during Jesus Christ Party Conventions in the months of February, June, and October. Vacant Party Offices shall be filled at the following Jesus Christ Party Convention.

E. Those who wish to run for a party office must have one nomination and have it seconded.  The candidate cannot nominate him or herself.  Those who nominate and second the candidate for an office cannot run for said office themselves.

F. If the party wishes to prohibit a candidate from running for office, there must be a petition with 1/4 of the party's signatures.  A vote will then be held with a 3/5 majority in favor of prohibiting the candidate from running.

I. A vote to dismiss a Party Official from their Party Office may occur after one-fourth of all party members sign a petition for a vote on the dismissal of this Party Official. Immediately following the petition, the Party Chairman shall open an emergency convention with the purpose of holding a hearing regarding the impeachment and vote on this official's dismissal (unless the Party Chairman is the subject of the petition in question; then it shall be the task of the Party Vice-Chairman).

J. If any Party Official leaves the Jesus Christ Party, is removed from the Jesus Christ Party, or does not post on the Atlas forum for twenty days without a prior declaration of his absence, they are immediately removed from his Party Office. 

K. Should an official be removed from office, the Party Chairman will then appoint a replacement for the remainder of the term.  If the ousted official is the Party Chairman, then  the Vice-Chair will replace them.

Section 3: Party Membership

A. In order to vote in any party matters, a member must have joined the party at least seven days prior to voting.

B. A member may be expelled from the party if a petition is signed by 1/4 of the party during a regularly scheduled convention. A vote will then take place during which a 2/3 supermajority must vote for the expulsion for it to take place.

B. Each proper convention will take place in the months of February, April, June, August, October and December.  These conventions will take place two weeks before the federal general election, and will end on the day of that month's federal general election.

C. All party elections are to take place during the proper Party Conventions of February, June, and October.

E. Should there be an "improper" or "emergency" convention, it shall be at the Chairman's choice and discretion.

B. The Chair and Vice-Chair must approve all other party activities.  There are no exceptions.

A. The JCP must have a Party Primary regarding multiple candidates for a single office.  A candidate can win this primary with a simple majority.  The candidate who has won will be placed on the party ballot line. 

B. The above will not be applicable to at-large Senate elections or Regional Assemblies with multiple openings.

C. Defeated candidates will be given the choice to concede or run as Independents. 

D. The Secretary will then inform the SoFE of which candidate will be on the ballot line.  This must be done at latest, 48 hours before the General Election, or there will be no JCP candidate(s) on said ballot line.

E. Should the Party wish to disown their candidate from the ballot line (in the case of a single candidate or last minute issues), a simple majority is required from the party.  The candidate is then given the choice to run as an independent or concede.

F. The Secretary will then inform the SoFE that said candidate will not appear on the ballot line (at least under the JCP).  This must be done 48 hours before the election, at the latest.  Otherwise, the disowned candidate will appear on the ballot line under the JCP.

I highly doubt anyone will be opposed to these, but I'll leave it up for a little bit just case. I'll open voting later tonight if nobody comments. Last chance to add anything!

I also plan on adding a separate vote on the end to deal with the August party elections:

VOTE #2)
1) A special election for party offices will be held during the August convention.
2) All party incumbents are recognized as holding their offices until the first Friday after the convention.

And another to get rid of any previous bylaws upon the passing of our new bylaws:

VOTE #3)
1) All previous party bylaws are declared null and void upon the passing of the new party bylaws.

bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #244 on: August 02, 2010, 12:46:39 AM »
« Edited: August 02, 2010, 12:48:59 AM by bgwah »

Voting on the following will be open for 72 hours.

1) Please vote aye or nay on whether or not to adopt the following as the official JCP bylaws:

Article I: Regulations Concerning Party Officials & Party Membership

F. If the party wishes to prohibit a candidate from running for office, there must be a petition with 1/4 of the party's signatures.  A vote will then be held with a 3/5 majority in favor of prohibiting the candidate from running.

K. Should an official be removed from office, the Party Chairman will then appoint a replacement for the remainder of the term.  If the ousted official is the Party Chairman, then  the Vice-Chair will replace them.

Section 3: Party Membership

A. In order to vote in any party matters, a member must have joined the party at least seven days prior to voting.

B. A member may be expelled from the party if a petition is signed by 1/4 of the party during a regularly scheduled convention. A vote will then take place during which a 2/3 supermajority must vote for the expulsion for it to take place.

B. Each proper convention will take place in the months of February, April, June, August, October and December.  These conventions will take place two weeks before the federal general election, and will end on the day of that month's federal general election.

C. All party elections are to take place during the proper Party Conventions of February, June, and October.

E. Should there be an "improper" or "emergency" convention, it shall be at the Chairman's choice and discretion.

B. The Chair and Vice-Chair must approve all other party activities.  There are no exceptions.

A. The JCP must have a Party Primary regarding multiple candidates for a single office.  A candidate can win this primary with a simple majority.  The candidate who has won will be placed on the party ballot line.  

D. The Secretary will then inform the SoFE of which candidate will be on the ballot line.  This must be done at latest, 48 hours before the General Election, or there will be no JCP candidate(s) on said ballot line.

E. Should the Party wish to disown their candidate from the ballot line (in the case of a single candidate or last minute issues), a simple majority is required from the party.  The candidate is then given the choice to run as an independent or concede.

F. The Secretary will then inform the SoFE that said candidate will not appear on the ballot line (at least under the JCP).  This must be done 48 hours before the election, at the latest.  Otherwise, the disowned candidate will appear on the ballot line under the JCP.

2) Should the above bylaws be approved, please vote aye or nay to clarify the following:

1) A special election for party offices will be held during the August convention.
2) All party official incumbents are recognized as holding their offices until the first Friday after the convention.
3) All previous party bylaws are declared null and void upon the passing of the new party bylaws.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #245 on: August 02, 2010, 12:49:22 AM »

Aye to both!
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09