Have you ever had a religious or supernatural experience? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:19:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Have you ever had a religious or supernatural experience? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes

No

Not Sure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Have you ever had a religious or supernatural experience?  (Read 6611 times)
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« on: April 10, 2021, 10:39:55 AM »

I've already spoken twice about the one mundane experience that I've had that was closest to a "miracle" of sorts, so I won't repeat it here. The next-closest thing was my lone attempt at a magical working involving the ritual use of my own blood, which ended up with 2020 ballot-counting woes and a planned project with one of my few IRL friends that I'd hoped to accelerate through the act getting put on ice indefinitely.

I see nothing wrong with interpreting events with a profound personal meaning as religious experiences, if it aids one in feeling at one and at ease with forces greater than oneself. The realm of personal meaning is its own sphere, separate from rationality, and it should be granted respect in its nonlinearities and at times defiance of typical logic. We as a species did not develop entirely towards rationality, and respecting the untamed parts of the human spirit is something that I strive to honor in my faith. In certain ways I am pathologically predisposed towards magical thinking and irrationality, but I see fit to embrace it in a certain capacity as a part of my identity rather than try to force it down in the name of conformity and capitalist ideals of productivity. Someone like Gilles Deleuze might argue that such a state of mind makes one shamanic. Experiencing the spiritual in the mundane has greatly enhanced my sense of being alive in a fundamental sense, and I'd like to think it's brought me closer to the forces that I worship.

Is it not itself a religious experience that it is the constant experience of the love of my Goddess that grounds me?
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 09:51:23 AM »

The observer effect clearly demonstrates that, in order for anything to actually happen, there must be an observer. As things actually happened prior to our existence, who was this observer? In other words, quantum physics is dependent upon there being no mind-independent reality. This is one reason why H. L. Mencken, for example, considered physicists to be modern day witch doctors.

The observer effect doesn't postulate that nothing happens without observation, merely that observation alters any perceived outcomes. With no observer, things would still happen, but without the quantum effects of the observer's presence.

What, for you, is the key difference in credibility between the Christian miracles that you have been discussing this whole time, apparently happening with no clear element of human will, and the practices of shamanism (which you insist on referring to derogatorily) found in numerous cultures, in which it is the power of human interaction with the sphere of the spiritual that creates results as well as the value of performance and self-expression, or in the interaction of science with the forces of creation in such a manner? I find the latter two to be far more interesting and philosophically sound means of realization, personally. Why would the latent power of forces beyond us intercede on our behalf without some sort of manipulation and fundamental understanding of the workings thereof? Why is the idea of "there being no mind-independent reality" incompatible to you with the acknowledgement of the presence of spiritual force of which we as a species occupy a part?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies