Re: Office of PSOL—Beginning of the Institute of Atlasian Progression
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:50:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Re: Office of PSOL—Beginning of the Institute of Atlasian Progression
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15
Author Topic: Re: Office of PSOL—Beginning of the Institute of Atlasian Progression  (Read 17044 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: April 23, 2020, 04:59:13 PM »

Oh no, are you seriously, unironically arguing for rationing? I suppose that is a good idea if you want to truly throw the economy down the drain for no reason Tongue

Also, as much as I am a proud member of the Labor party, I am certainly against rationing, which has been proven to be a failed policy I believe?
Yet it wasn’t a failure during the crisis that was WWII. It was a necessary measure to ensure that no one is left out. The real brevity of the matter is that we need to be dealing like this like a war.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #176 on: April 23, 2020, 05:06:40 PM »

"If you ride alone you are ridin with Hitler".
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #177 on: April 23, 2020, 05:11:37 PM »

Well someone gets it. Saddening that it is coming from a member of a pro-austerity party.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #178 on: April 23, 2020, 05:12:08 PM »

The funny thing about that is how demand for oil has plummeted so much that the opposite would be true today.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #179 on: April 23, 2020, 11:52:25 PM »

Let us know when you stop LARPing as a tankie.
Were Winston Churchill or FDR tankies then?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #180 on: April 24, 2020, 03:29:39 AM »

Well someone gets it. Saddening that it is coming from a member of a pro-austerity party.

We are not pro-austerity, we are pro-solvency.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #181 on: April 24, 2020, 06:43:54 PM »

So does anyone have any comments, questions, or concerns to utter in the face of my proposal?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #182 on: April 25, 2020, 03:35:28 AM »

Bodelian online library
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #183 on: April 25, 2020, 03:41:21 AM »

thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #184 on: April 25, 2020, 12:39:21 PM »

Some supermarkets here have put limits on how many you can buy of essential goods so I don't think its a very radical idea. I don't think we need a full rationing system with a rationing book ect. like in WW2, but there are controls we can put in place to limit people from hoarding more than they need of essential items.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #185 on: April 25, 2020, 01:28:18 PM »

Some supermarkets here have put limits on how many you can buy of essential goods so I don't think its a very radical idea. I don't think we need a full rationing system with a rationing book ect. like in WW2, but there are controls we can put in place to limit people from hoarding more than they need of essential items.
What would be your idea on how to move forward on this?
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #186 on: April 25, 2020, 06:17:33 PM »

A limit on how much you can buy of each essential item in a shop. It can be flexible so restrictions could be added and removed on items depending on the situation.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2020, 11:47:14 AM »

I'm by no means an expert on rationing/food supply but there's huge differences between what we're experiencing now & what we experienced 70 years ago-  food can & is still being transported by plane (an option not available before) where it's not grown domestically and the only issues have been with demand not supply e.g everyone in one town buying the toilet paper when the stocks for toilet paper where at the usual (e.g low demand) levels.

The issue before was with the supply (getting food from A to be without it being sunk) and labour/manpower/resources ( the mars bar factory was making tanks etc) these are both issues that can be addressed before rationing.

We don't need rationing & rather than just reaching the biggest and brightest (and bluntest) tool there's alternative methods at hand
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2020, 11:48:07 AM »

A limit on how much you can buy of each essential item in a shop. It can be flexible so restrictions could be added and removed on items depending on the situation.

and these limits work because theyre imposed by the shops themselves- not by governent command who would no doubt cock it up.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2020, 01:17:43 PM »

I'm by no means an expert on rationing/food supply but there's huge differences between what we're experiencing now & what we experienced 70 years ago-  food can & is still being transported by plane (an option not available before) where it's not grown domestically and the only issues have been with demand not supply e.g everyone in one town buying the toilet paper when the stocks for toilet paper where at the usual (e.g low demand) levels.

The issue before was with the supply (getting food from A to be without it being sunk) and labour/manpower/resources ( the mars bar factory was making tanks etc) these are both issues that can be addressed before rationing.

We don't need rationing & rather than just reaching the biggest and brightest (and bluntest) tool there's alternative methods at hand
The problem is that much agricultural production imported internationally or regionally has either shut down or have been greatly diminished due to the pandemic, thus causing the very real hoarding we are seeing now. I agree that we need to be focused on all the variables here, that’s why my proposal was a suggestion to be implemented in areas hardest hit by the pandemic or isolated so as to avoid extreme societal instability.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #190 on: April 26, 2020, 01:21:55 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2020, 02:04:43 PM by Punxsutawney Phil »

I think this rationing idea might have some considerable merit if applied narrowly enough in both area and scope. It could go in tandem with the government buying from foreign suppliers if need be and then selling the produce to retailers at something of a markdown, which both helps keep retailers afloat financially and keeps supplies more consistently available.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #191 on: April 28, 2020, 09:17:28 PM »

I urge the federal passing of this legislation I crafted before the pandemic to deal with the homeless populations being hardly hit during this time.

Fremont’s Homeless Integration Act

Section I: Homeless aide

1. The Region of Fremont shall ensure fair housing to the homeless by the establishment of the Department of Landless People (D.P.L.)
    a. The budget for the department shall be 0.2% of the annual Fremont budget
    b. The department shall ensure that the needs of the Homeless are ensured
        I. 30% of the allocated funds shall be designated for nutritional needs of the homeless
        II. 40% of the allocated funds shall be taking care of housing concerns
             1. The creation of public homeless shelters (40%)
             2. Sanitation and inspection control (60%)

III. 20% of the allocated funds shall be designated for job and vocational training programs        
        IV. 10% of the allocated funds shall be directed to subsiding the medical needs of the participants
    c. In crowded conditions among a lack of supply, homeless and landless people shall be sent to vacant private housing
            I. Taking up 10% of each building unit
            II. Kicking out renters for room is deemed a breach of protocol
                1. Punishable by a $5,000 fine
2. The Region of Fremont shall allocate 35% of its Luxury Tax to pay for the establishment of subsidized
    housing for the landless people of Fremont
3. Any vagrancy or squatting laws affecting public property in Fremont are hereby nullified
4. Anti-homeless architecture is hereby deemed illegal in Fremont
   a. Such as
        I. Spikes on public property clearly in reach of a possible sleeping area
        II. Middle handles on benches or other flat space on public sitting arrangements
Section II: initiation

1. This act takes effect on June 28th, 2022

Sponsor: PSOL
While a bit stylistically off from the caliber of what is to be expected of federal legislation, a bit of modification can go a long way in reducing the spread of infection and general suffering of these individuals without legal residence. I urge someone to introduce a similar bill through Congress.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #192 on: April 30, 2020, 03:02:23 AM »

I don't think that would solve the problem quickly enough. Could take months or years to stand up homeless shelters unless you waive a crap ton of permits.

A quicker solution is just pay the hotels some kind of negotiated amount and put them up in them. Most of them are in desperate financial situation and thus you could kill two birds with one stone.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #193 on: April 30, 2020, 10:09:49 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2020, 10:15:25 PM by PSOL »

So recently there’s been some concerns on whether to move the Southern Capital of Nashville, Tennessee to another city. As I have once walked around Nashville, keeping government functions in the city makes no sense. The transportation infrastructure is nonexistent and there’s already awful traffic with all the tourists there. Like, unless in-game there was a transportation rail like what the recently failed referendum in the city failed to implement, it should be moved to somewhere with the infrastructure.

Cities like Atlanta, New Orleans, Richmond, or even Memphis make more sense then Nashville considering the public infrastructure already in place. Austin, while I agree is an undeniably Southern city, is placed too far on one side of the South. With cities like Atlanta or New Orleans, they both have the infrastructure and geographic centrality to the rest of the South, so if anything these two should be better contenders then Nashville of Austin. As I’ve indicated, Memphis and Richmond are much better cities then Nashville on the infrastructure.

While I don’t want to talk about it, let me talk about the cultural scene. What’s wrong with Nashville aside from the lack of public infrastructure to even work as a capital is the fact that it is unbelievably tacky. The strip, and the overall atmosphere, scream tourist haven. Everything is overpriced and there’s little cultural charm left that isn’t completely commercial crap. Austin doesn’t scream in the same way, neither do the other cities I mentioned.

Going forward, I’d like to talk about the other regions. While I wouldn’t change the capital of Denver here in Fremont, if it were to change, the only place that would make sense would be Sacremento given the infrastructure in place. Salt Lake City, while nice in its own way, isn’t very culturally pertinent to the rest of the region in the way that Sacremento is. It’s too much of a city influenced by the LDS church, which is its own beast compared to the coasts or even the rest of the Mountain plains. Placing the capital in Los Angeles or Seattle seems like favoritism considering the clout these states have over the economy already. With that in mind, that’s why I think Denver is the right place; the infrastructure, placement, and culture is all there.

Lincoln is undeniably a bit more complicated given its geography. If any region actually should change its capital to be more pertinent culturally or infrastructure wise, it should be Lincoln. NYC is its own world all on its own, and placing the capital there is not very balanced in my view. Places like Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, or even Syracuse and Buffalo would be a better placement then NYC.

While we are on the subject, I wouldn’t be objecting a decision to contruct Atlasia’s own Brasiliera somewhere in the more middle parts of the nation. Nyman is just too far away East to be a proper capital, even though it is thoroughly developed. Although it’s my least of concerns. Maybe create a new region in central Illinois, Nebraska, or Iowa. Maybe even in Yeet, Iowa perhaps?

For any of these areas, I agree that t should be done through a referendum by the people. While I agree that the representatives should decide the options on the ballot, as well as having a write-in option. But no funny business should be done in the manner like the recent Southern flag referendum, where YT chose designs based off his preferences of heralding the Confederacy by in incorporating its symbols, and then many Labor members voting for it like sheep. I’d rather something similar doesn’t happen again.

AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #194 on: April 30, 2020, 10:29:31 PM »

Lincoln is undeniably a bit more complicated given its geography. If any region actually should change its capital to be more pertinent culturally or infrastructure wise, it should be Lincoln. NYC is its own world all on its own, and placing the capital there is not very balanced in my view. Places like Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, or even Syracuse and Buffalo would be a better placement then NYC.
Philadelphia would work very well as the most historical city in America. Certainly somewhere in Pennsylvania would seem like the most balanced location for a capital. The centre of Lincoln's population should be somewhere in PA, and culturally Pennsylvania also fits as a bridge between different regions (it isn't called the Keystone state for nothing). Pittsburgh is a bit too Midwestern and although Harrisburg could be developed into a more independent capital it is a bit small.

Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis Cincinnati would be very ill suited as a regional capital. They're far too midwestern and very unbalanced compared to the region. Syracuse and Buffalo are a bit small and aren't the most central but there's definitely an argument for them.

While we are on the subject, I wouldn’t be objecting a decision to contruct Atlasia’s own Brasiliera somewhere in the more middle parts of the nation. Nyman is just too far away East to be a proper capital, even though it is thoroughly developed. Although it’s my least of concerns. Maybe create a new region in central Illinois or Iowa. Maybe even in Yeet, Iowa perhaps?

Fairest solution would be to construct a new capital on the tripoint of the three regions. So around Keokuk, IA. On the banks of Mississippi, right in the heart of middle america and very good geography for development.
Though if we wanted to put a new "central" capital in an established city then St Louis is the obvious choice. Closest to both the mean centre of US population and the tripoint of the three regions, an old city with strong history as the gateway between the east and the west. Plus it's a very good size, big enough to handle becoming a capital but not so large that it has it's own strong unique cultural bubble that could overpower a sense of national unity.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #195 on: April 30, 2020, 10:56:29 PM »

Alright I can respect that response. What I disagree with is having the city in St. Louis, if anything I’d say have it in Kansas City instead.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #196 on: April 30, 2020, 11:07:20 PM »

ASV, with all due respect, the fact you're suggesting St. Louis as the new capitol shows you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. Anyone who has been to St. Louis and knows the region would know how terrible of an idea that is.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #197 on: April 30, 2020, 11:45:50 PM »

ASV, with all due respect, the fact you're suggesting St. Louis as the new capitol shows you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. Anyone who has been to St. Louis and knows the region would know how terrible of an idea that is.

Oh yeah St Louis is a pretty terrible city nowadays. I'm only suggesting that historically and culturally there's a strong argument for St Louis.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #198 on: May 01, 2020, 03:48:46 PM »

The word "capital" merely describes a place where so-called "politicians" (an official definition of middling creatures registering, voting and seeking "offices" under an delusionally state-type socio-economic organism called "Atlasia") gather around, not unlike fleas rubbing each other while feasting upon a substance coming out of our entrails. Like the aforementioned buzzing, winged vermin, all they actually accomplish is the circulation of noxious venom that irritates perception and drives soul towards an alcohol-induced woe. The only plausible technique of expelling said venom from oneself is embracing the ever-burning, but never falling into ashes, grapewine of historical accuracy. The perpetual fire from said grapewine satisfies thirst for amity, heals the soul from soaking treachery, surrounding us all around (a fog as odious as a vile mixture made of dirt from underneath fingernails of a shoemaker that never washed his hands and tears of unjustly tormented virgins) and leads across the bridge toward the grail of awareness. To keep the grapewine illuminating it is imperative to crush the humanesque fleas gathering at the "capital", and toss their compresses carcases on the pyre.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #199 on: May 03, 2020, 09:16:45 PM »

Let me just say that I 100% support thumb21 for House Speaker; he’s a one of a kind legislator that has done immense work for Atlasians during the pandemic. No one else has matched what I consider to be a model to emulate from newish players then him.

On other news, the Fremont Parliamentary race is getting packed from what I see. Me, Parliament Speaker KoopaDaQuick, Parliamentarians Oregon Blue Dog and ASV, and this new chap called Tirnam are running in a chamber that I believe can only elect 4/5 people running. Due to popularity and current demographics among certain populations, I expect the speaker Her Majesty KoopaDaQuick and ASV to be elected quite easily. That leaves OBD, Tirnam, and myself to fight for the scant few couple of votes in an already low turnout election. Obviously, as we all know, electioneering means very little compared to machine direction, but that doesn’t mean that I’m too worried. Ultimately, the only thing up for air is if turnout is low enough for me to squeeze in a few of likely PSOL preference votes in. Perhaps that is why, as of this moment of unpredictability, they’re corralling a few new recruits in Frémont?

To those paying attention, which are very crucial to this low turnout race, I hope that all sides can agree to run a solid campaign. That is why I propose that we hold a debate for Fremont Parliament as the election nears so that the voters know who these legislators are. Who knows, it could make or break this tight race?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies