your top 3 choices for hillary's running mate? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:53:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  your top 3 choices for hillary's running mate? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: your top 3 choices for hillary's running mate?  (Read 3134 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« on: March 21, 2008, 08:48:50 PM »

I making these predictions, in this order...

1.   Wes Clark  (Long-time Arkansas friend, matches McCain's military resume and can be used as a powerful contrast with McCain-Bush.  Clark ran a war and occupation where there were no U.S. casualties.)

2.   Ted Strickland  (Mainly because of Ohio.  But his status as a Methodist pastor could also be common ground with Clinton.  The baseless rantings of the right notwithstanding, Hillary is a devout United Methodist.  Not a Wiccan or a Satanist.  <g>)

3.  Mike Easley  (Not so much because of North Carolina, which Clinton will lose no matter what.  But because he's moderate to conservative and he campaigns well.)

4.   Someone from Florida.  Look, you know the VP nominee rarely swings a state and I know it.  That doesn't reduce the temptation to pick someone for that reason OR the pressure to do so from certain sectors.  But who in Florida?  Bob Graham is not in the best of health, has been out of office awhile and is older.  But if he were tapped, Crist would not get to select his replacement...as would be the case with Bill Nelson.  Of course, Nelson has that astronaut thing going for him.  I'd suggest Bob Wexler.

But honestly? If I had a hundred bucks to bet, I'd put 90 on Clark and 10 on Strickland.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 01:39:36 PM »

Mitty,

I know absolutely ZIP about Ritter.  But I have always like Strickland and Manchin.  It's my understanding that Strickland and Clinton have, not only a political party, but a strong United Methodist affiliation in common.  My nephew-in-law works for Lieutenant Governor Fisher (and my nephew's a Republican!) and he says the office chatter (which I realize is nothing more than that) still has Strickland as Hillary's top choice.  Of course, Fisher may want that more the Strickland, because Fisher wants to be Governor. 

I still think Strickland is her number two choice after Clark.  What do you think?  Or do you suppose she has Clark set aside for Sec Def, Sec State or Joint Chiefs?

One other question for you and other Clinton supporters:  Do you believe Manchin's staunch stance against abortion rights will hurt him in terms of a national ballot position?  Or do you think the party is ready to have that conversation?

I remain an Obama supporter, but you can bet I'll be voting for Hillary if she's the nominee in the general election.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies