$1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 11:27:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: $1.5 Trillion GOP Tax Cut Thread  (Read 112659 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: November 17, 2017, 11:14:45 AM »

Not just Climate change, in every question, College educated Republicans are giving crazy answers. Totally weird, maybe all these crazy conservative organizations in colleges & Infowars is having some effect.
A Republican who went to college with my father told him, "I can't stand Trump's pandering to coal miners and rust belt workers. The conservative idea is that if your job becomes obsolete, you look for a new job."
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 02:04:28 PM »

The thing that shocks me is certain people here say how suburanties were a deadend for dems because once Trump is gone and the culture warrior stuff dies down they'll go back to the GOP but this almost guarantee the suburbs going dem as now they are going to get hit in the pocketbook by Trump/GOP as well

It's bewildering how they seem to be almost trying to foster a realignment along the lines of the 2016 presidential election.

It would be easy for the suburban swing to the Democrats to have just been a fluke owing to a uniquely positioned Republican candidate. But the Republicans in elections this year have been running on the sort of culture war and anti-immigrant policies that offend suburbanites, and now Republicans in Congress seem dead-set on passing a tax bill that amounts to a redistribution of wealth toward the super-rich and business owners and away from the "merely" well-off and white collar salaried professionals.
I feel like it's an attempt to punish people who vote Democrat against their self-interest.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 08:56:46 PM »

I played around with my income tax plan calculator that I built based on the House and Senate plans and added in the feature to do calculations for Singles and Head of Household recently. One thing I noticed about the House and Senate plans is that both closes the gap on the marriage penalty for higher income taxpayers.  But it seems the Senate plan is much more aggressive on closing that gap than the House.  High income singles will get hit badly by this.  It seems the greatest net loser in the Senate tax plan, by far, is the high income single salaried taxpayer living in an ultra-high tax area, say, San Francisco or NYC.   Wow.  My wife tells me some of her single investment banking friends in NYC are very steamed by this plan.  I can see why.  I put in some numbers and nearly fell off my seat on how badly they will get hit.
Combine this with the Republican Party's "family values" rhetoric, and I can't help but wonder if there's a motive for this.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 11:07:22 PM »

Tax vote failing, Flynn flipping, Mueller investigating=best Christmas ever
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 08:25:44 PM »

I noticed that Pence cast a tie-breaking vote for Cruz's amendment. What does Cruz's amendment do?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies