This Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 01:40:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Name?
The Chronicles of Tory Scum

This Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

This Once Dignified Party of Ours

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: This Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy  (Read 58260 times)
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« on: July 07, 2021, 05:25:41 AM »

I've heard rumours of a lot of Tory grassroot anger about the relatively strict lockdown restrictions, are these real and if so what possible effects might that have ?
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 06:35:58 AM »

I see Peter Hitchens has decided Liz Truss is a "Lefty liberal".
She's a sleeper lib dem agent.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 08:46:57 AM »

I see Peter Hitchens has decided Liz Truss is a "Lefty liberal".
She's a sleeper lib dem agent.

Well she was one once, but then again Hitchens P was a Trot back in the day.
So were Starmer and Blair, werd bunch trots were.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 10:34:40 AM »

How long is a letter valid ? and what is the proccese of withdrawing a letter ?
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 11:13:03 AM »

How long is a letter valid ? and what is the proccese of withdrawing a letter ?

Since Sir Graham Brady became chairman of the 1922 Committee, letters remain active indefinitely, unless a member actively withdraws it, or said member leaves the Parliamentary Party (through suspension, resignation, death or defection). Previously a letter was valid for one year, and then lapsed, according to this report from the New Statesman, from around the time May’s leadership troubles.

It’s unclear whether a letter can be verbally withdrawn, or if a second letter stating an updated position must be sent. If I come across a better answer to that question, I’ll update this post.

Hmm. given that physical letters are accepted with the only authentication being a signature i'm suprised some pranksters hasn't tried to forge MP letters to trigger it.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2022, 09:13:01 AM »

I find it very weird that some Tories are trying to pivot blame towards Corrie Johnson almost painting her as a lady Macbeth like figure that led Boris astray despite it making little sense.

IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 10:32:48 AM »

I just discovered the massive meme that was conservative MP Simon Burns who was also a huge democrat stan. he used the exact same "Won the argument but lost the vote" thing that Corbyn said after 2019. Just look at his house

https://order-order.com/2016/04/12/through-the-keyhole-simon-burns-shrine-to-hillary/
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 01:27:10 PM »

I remember reading one had 300 books on the Kennedy family and had even named his son after one of the brothers.

Which is ironic as the Kennedy’s are hated by Conservatives of a a certain age (my grandmother to this day insists Kennedy Snr was a ‘fascist’)
How could one possibly read 300 books about one single family is a mystery to me.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 10:33:05 AM »

I'm wondering if there are any good books to learn about the conservative parties recent history ? preferably from someone which isn't written from an obviously partisan lense
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 10:55:43 AM »

I'm wondering if there are any good books to learn about the conservative parties recent history ? preferably from someone which isn't written from an obviously partisan lense

The Conservative Party from Thatcher to Cameron by Tim Bale is a reasonably good summary of the period 1990-2010, although it was written and thus breaks off even before the coalition so it’s now a little dated (as is Bale’s boostering for the political dead end of ‘modernisation’, but that’s another story). I’ve not really read a lot of books about the politics of the last decade - the books in the Nuffield Elections Series about the elections of the last decade are good but very pricey unless you have free access to Springer Link. I enjoyed reading Tim Shipman’s accounts of the EU referendum and the first year of the May ministry but I believe that others on here have their doubts about those books and about Shipman. The inevitable problem really with any account of ‘recent’ politics is that it ages faster than a Mummy exposed to the elements, so they usually end up looking a little silly even a year or two down the line.

This is incredibly good advice, I was tearing my hair our for the last hour trying to figure out how I would be able to get those books before remembering to check my university institutional access and discovering that I did in fact have free access to Springer Link.  If only I had read your comment in time I could have saved a lot of time wasted in searching

I'll definitely check out the book and many more thanks to my new found free-accses.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2023, 07:52:00 PM »

Reports from several quarters that Sebastian Payne, formerly of the Financial Times, and now head of the Onward think-tank is trying to secure the Conservative nomination for a Westminster seat.

Quite possibly the closest the Tories will come to a “celebrity” (within the Westminster bubble, at least) candidate for next year.
The FT's editorial line seems to have moved pretty left-wing in recent years. Kind of suprised one of theirs would run for the conservative nomination.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2023, 07:51:36 PM »

I just don't understand where all this funding is coming for think thanks who produce reports that no one ever reads. Like who thinks this is a good use of their money ?
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2023, 08:48:38 AM »

The think tank "industry" is described as that for a reason.
I mean I don't even understand what the industry is getting out of it. I know the Institue of Economic Affairs was funded by the Tobacco industry, but like for all the insanity Liz Truss embraced I don't she even wanted to liberalize tobacco laws and move away from government policy prohibiting it.

IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2023, 04:15:16 AM »

What i'd give to have her self-confidence.
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2024, 02:39:02 AM »

Are there any good modern books about the collapse of the British Liberal Party?(to go slightly off-topic)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies