2020 Generic Ballot / Recruitment / Fundraising / Ratings Megathread v2 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:31:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2020 Generic Ballot / Recruitment / Fundraising / Ratings Megathread v2 (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 2020 Generic Ballot / Recruitment / Fundraising / Ratings Megathread v2  (Read 167506 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2020, 12:29:54 PM »

Yes, actually. They also did this in 2018 (for Rosendale during his Senate campaign, both for the primary and the GE) and during this year's R primary campaign for MT-AL (again for Rosendale) and have zero incentive to poll MT-PRES and MT-SEN in a poll asked for by the Rosendale campaign to determine the current state of the House race, so your theory that they actually polled all the other races and just didn’t want to release those numbers is very dubious. Besides, while Rosendale +6 is likely a little too R-friendly for this race and Williams has a slightly better shot than she did in 2018, there’s no reason to believe that this is better than a Rosendale +3-4 affair for Democrats right now.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2020, 10:35:05 PM »

Bold.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2020, 09:49:01 AM »

A +3/+4 lead is right around where the House flips. Not even kidding, this is getting way less attention than it needs to get. Before the summer the Democrats often did better in the generic ballot than Biden did in the presidential, now it seems to be the opposite in most polls. I would still bet on the House remaining Democratic of course but these kinds of margins suggest the Democrats will definitely net lose seats, not gain seats like I've seen so many times on this forum. It also suggests some of these Dem internals for CDs are completely out of line with reality, as I've pointed out recently (and people have gotten upset and tried to defend the polling which suggests 10-20 point Dem trends in multiple Republican leaning districts)

Or maybe it’s just one poll (didn’t you bash Monmouth before because they’re supposedly way too D-friendly/have way too small sample sizes?) and we’d do well to track the average instead (as of today, it’s +6.5 according to FiveThirtyEight and +6.0 according to RealClearPolitics)?

Besides, polling of individual races is more in line with a D+7-9 environment than a +3-4 one, and both parties aren’t exactly behaving like they expect the House to be very competitive. It would take a red wave to narrowly flip the House, especially given how awful Republican recruitment and strategy has been in many of these races, but there’s no reason to believe there will be a red wave this year.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2020, 12:59:24 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2020, 01:02:34 AM by MT Treasurer »

It is one poll, and yes Monmouth does have a slight D bias and small samples. The fact that it's a +4 D lead with Likely voters should be notable. I'm not predicting that's whats going to happen (see the bolded above). I'm pointing out that it's a critical point where the House comes into play, and that tightening has become a trend. But to you, it seems pointing something out is conflated with a prediction, as you recommended a post that was a strawman. This isn't the first time either.

We haven't had very much polling in House races this year, and most of it has been internals for either party. Given that Republicans didn't even realize a lot of races that got no attention were competitive in '16, I don't expect many of them to realize some of their targets this year either. Their party elites are even more out of touch with reality than the Democrats, so it's not surprising. If a D+3 PV is a "red wave" (which is where the house could flip) than I don't know what else to say.

I use the "recommend" option to express "agree" rather than "like" (otherwise I’d be way more hesitant about using it because it does create a toxic atmosphere in many cases). Anyway, my point was more that if you consider Monmouth’s methodology fundamentally flawed, why would you trust their numbers in this particular case? In some of your previous posts, you’ve even suggested that pollsters aren’t trying to reach Republican voters, yet you’re quick to buy into national polling whenever it suits your narrative of a tight race/more Republican-friendly environment.

I agree with you that Republican strategists are completely incompetent and unable to come up with an effective target map which isn’t based on districts' PVIs/voting patterns from three elections ago, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Republicans have been releasing far fewer internals than Democrats this cycle and would instead take that as a sign that the environment hasn’t markedly improved for the party since 2018, although I’m sure you’ll disagree. You could also make a case that a 3-4-point PV loss won’t be enough to actually flip the House due to the redrawn Congressional maps under the Trump presidency, Republican recruitment failures, an ineffectual Republican strategy/target map (see xingkerui's post), the proportion of Democratic/Republican incumbents as opposed to two years ago, and the sheer number of Democratic pick-up opportunities in TX alone.

It’s completely reasonable to predict that Republicans will hold the Senate, but I don’t see how the math is there in the House this year. They could come close on a good night, but even narrowly flipping it would require an unprecedented (for this cycle) shift in the environment. We can debate what constitutes a "red wave" until the cows come home, but the fact of the matter is that the absolute best-case scenario for Republicans is still a much closer result than any Democratic best-case scenario.

In any case, I don’t see why polling would suddenly tighten from +6-8 to +3 when this kind of Democratic environment has been stable for years now. Maybe I’d be more inclined to subscribe to your theory if 2018 hadn’t been such an unmitigated disaster for Republicans or at least seen significant tightening in the home stretch, but this seems to me to be a case of wishful thinking on your part when one considers the big picture (although I’d love to be proven wrong).
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2020, 10:57:05 PM »

NRCC is pulling out of VA-05.

Nice one, VAGOP. This would be avoidable had you not opted for a convention to get rid of an incumbent for the stupidest reason imaginable.

I mean, Denver Riggleman might have done a little better, but he would have been very vulnerable as well.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2020, 05:47:50 PM »

This ratings change is very, very dumb even by Sabato's standards. Even if Ernst loses, there’s no universe in which MT-SEN is Lean R (lol at the idea that Bullock is far less likely to win than Greenfield), TX-SEN is Likely R (cute, #weak Rosen Hegar I guess?), GA-R is Lean R (it’s just not there yet?), AZ is only Lean D (overrated Kelly/another astroNUT lost in 2018?), etc. while Greenfield is favored to flip the IA seat.
Pages: 1 [2]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies