Poll for my fellow Republicans regarding DACA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 08:07:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poll for my fellow Republicans regarding DACA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: After Trump separates children from parents and family by overturning DACA, do you still consider yourself a Republican?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Poll for my fellow Republicans regarding DACA  (Read 4283 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« on: September 05, 2017, 09:48:52 PM »

The overturn of DACA, to me, has to be one of the very meanest and most inhuman acts ever perpetrated by a U.S. President, separating adult children from parents and family.

My fellow Republicans, do you still consider yourself to be a Republican after this? 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 09:59:47 PM »

Yes, but not from the Trump wing of the party. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 10:59:38 PM »

The overturn of DACA, to me, has to be one of the very meanest and most inhuman acts ever perpetrated by a U.S. President, separating adult children from parents and family.

My fellow Republicans, do you still consider yourself to be a Republican after this? 

You were all gung go after his victory, and he promised to do this during the campaign, so what the hell are you upset about now?

During the campaign I railed against Trump on many occasions over many different issues.

Overall I supported Trump over Hillary because I simply did not want crooked Hillary as President.

My support for Trump was largely based on the control of the U.S. Supreme Court.

Yes, I did support and celebrate his victory, but never did I at any time support everything he advocated.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 11:26:37 PM »

Your statement doesn't even make sense. Nobody is being separated from anybody simply because of the not-so-immediate repeal of DACA - an overreaching Obama executive action that was blatently unconstitutional. Trump really had no choice but to repeal it, as he was being sued by many states Attorney Generals, and would have lost in court. Don't believe me that it was unconstitutional?  Well, one of Obama's lawyers who worked on DACA has admitted as much.

The DACA repeal is really a bargaining chip that, if Trump is smart, will be used to get things like funding for the border wall and mandatory use of e-Verify. Trump sunsetted DACA after 6 months, instead of immediately, for a reason.

And even if Congress doesn't pass DACA-lite (which it ultimately will), it doesn't mean that "dreamers" will automatically be deported without their parents anyway. First, the government would have to find them and make it a priority to deport them over the convicted criminals that Trump is currently focussing on deporting. Plus, if in the country, "dreamers'" parents are likely illegal aliens, and are subject to deportation, too. So the family doesn't have to be broken up - if deportation is a viable option, they can all be deported together. American citizen children have the right to remain in the country, but nothing is stopping illegal immigrant parents from taking them back to their home country if deported, or placing them with relatives legally living in the country.

Thank you for your intelligent and well informed comments.

But my preference is that deportations of these so called "Dreamers" to not commence at all,  except for say criminal elements.

I am hopeful that Congress will legalize a program within six months to protect these "Dreamers."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies