2020 Labour Leadership Election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:36:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2020 Labour Leadership Election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Labour Leadership Election  (Read 86356 times)
Pulaski

« on: April 13, 2020, 10:26:10 PM »

Wow, that report is…Something. Serious chance Corbyn would be PM right now following the 2017 election if it wasn't for some of the stuff in it. I think its pretty obvious that people intentionally working to sabotage the party from the inside should be kicked out.

Unlikely they will be. Many of them are now in the shadow ministry.
Pulaski

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 06:44:18 AM »

Wow, that report is…Something. Serious chance Corbyn would be PM right now following the 2017 election if it wasn't for some of the stuff in it. I think its pretty obvious that people intentionally working to sabotage the party from the inside should be kicked out.

This is untrue & I would be careful about making comments about a report like this.

David Lammy, Rachel Reeves, Jon Ashworth and Ian Murray are all in the shadow cabinet.

Jess Phillips, Pat McFadden, Wes Streeting, Stephen Kinnock, Stephen Doughty and Lucy Powell are all in the outer ministry.

With regard to your warning, I highly doubt the UK Labour Party cares about what a random man in Australia posts on a forum.
Pulaski

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 06:53:12 AM »

Lucy Powell isn't really like some of the others you have named.

She was attending rallies aimed at undermining and removing Corbyn as early as 2018.

(In fact, add Kate Green to the list - I hadn't seen that she'd made the shadow ministry too)
Pulaski

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 11:21:23 AM »

This is untrue & I would be careful about making comments about a report like this.

David Lammy, Rachel Reeves, Jon Ashworth and Ian Murray are all in the shadow cabinet.

Jess Phillips, Pat McFadden, Wes Streeting, Stephen Kinnock, Stephen Doughty and Lucy Powell are all in the outer ministry.

With regard to your warning, I highly doubt the UK Labour Party cares about what a random man in Australia posts on a forum.

Thank you for telling me members of the Shadow Cabinet.

No problem. I doubt I’ll be on here in 5 years when the next Labour Shadow Cabinet is sworn in, so you may have to look elsewhere for your information at that stage.
Pulaski

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 04:50:06 PM »

There is a section of online Corbynism who have been in a state of constant apoplectic fury about literally everything - however trivial it is in some cases - for the past month. As with the centrists who spent the previous five years in such a state, it must be pretty enervating and exhausting.

A quick google of Corbyn's name will immediately yield articles from people outraged at the suggestion coronavirus lockdowns might still be around for a while, the idiocy of his brother (HOW IS THIS NEWS) and even for attending parliament, literally his job. The man is a backbench MP, but certain sections will take a microscope to every action he takes, just itching to find something to be annoyed about. There was a years-long campaign to malign him with accusations of antisemitism or sexism every time he so much as mouthed words.

Glass houses, stones.
Pulaski

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 05:00:32 PM »

Those are all in the Mail and Express, which do not have many Labour activists on staff.

Thank god Labour figures never cooperate with such gutter journalism then.

If you mouth stuff about ‘Zionists not understanding English irony’ then imo expect people to get a bit worried.

Some people might be worried, yes. I'd hope they'd get similarly worried about anti-muslim sentiment in a leader responsible for 100 000 civilian deaths in Iraq, but I suppose as long as Blair didn't give a dodgy quote beforehand it's all above board.

Whilst it has been a rough few months for the Labour left beyond question, objectively speaking it is still in a vastly stronger position than it was even five years ago. Some of them tbf do realise this, and know that once the grieving process is complete life must go on.

Bickering aside, this is definitely true. Starmer was probably a better figure to lead the party than RLB, too.
Pulaski

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 03:11:16 AM »

If you mouth stuff about ‘Zionists not understanding English irony’ then imo expect people to get a bit worried.

Some people might be worried, yes. I'd hope they'd get similarly worried about anti-muslim sentiment in a leader responsible for 100 000 civilian deaths in Iraq, but I suppose as long as Blair didn't give a dodgy quote beforehand it's all above board.

I know I'm American so my opinion really doesn't affect anything, but I think Blair and Corbyn are both awful, and I'd be shocked if there weren't a significant contingent among Starmer's people and among the Labour base as a whole who feel the same way. There's a big, fat, very well-populated grey area between Blairism and Corbynism within the spectrum of Labour politics, and the idea that those are the only options is classic extremist/ideologue "with us or against us" rhetoric. And, yes, both sides do it.

There's absolutely a broad spectrum between Blairism and Corbynism. Corbyn's fanatics never numbered the 60% he garnered in either leadership election. He carried numerous segments of the Left. But that didn't stop the Labour right claiming it was an entryist coup, or refusing to serve in a frontbench, or launching a challenge because he wasn't sufficiently enamoured with the EU (a classic "with us or against us" pitch; Corbyn campaigned for Remain, but because his legitimate criticisms tempered his defence, he must've been a closet Leaver according to some). And you had it on antisemitism; you either think the leadership should have immolated itself in apology, or you mustn't be sufficiently appraised of the evils of antisemitism. Justice Blair exemplifies this in this very thread - if you sympathise with Corbyn at all and think antisemitism was used as a tool by some to undermine him, you just don't think it's a problem. It was the right, and has always been the right, that has fostered this divide.  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies