If we ever got fair maps should VRA districts be abolished?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:57:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  If we ever got fair maps should VRA districts be abolished?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: If we ever got fair maps should VRA districts be abolished?  (Read 943 times)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2021, 10:44:56 PM »

I think it’s a necessary condition of getting a truly fair system - or at least relax the requirements a bit. For example in Alabama you could get a single heavily gerrymandered district which is 65% black and the rest of the districts would be Republican or you could get two Dem-voting districts which are about 50-50 and much more compact and therefore fair.

Or like in Chicago where the current map is one of the ugliest in the country. Just because the neighborhoods there are segregated doesn’t mean congressional maps should be.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 10:46:36 PM »

No, representing minority interests is important, and in many cases fair maps involve increasing minority representation (for instance, see the California maps)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 10:48:11 PM »

No, representing minority interests is important, and in many cases fair maps involve increasing minority representation (for instance, see the California maps)
You’re not actually representing all minority interests, just the interests of racial minorities who live in majority minority areas. If you truly want this then why not have racial lists like New Zealand?
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 10:49:50 PM »

Compactness shouldn't be the be-all end-all of redistricting. Preserving communities is very important even when race isn't involved, and the VRA requirements do serve a purpose in giving more of a direct voice to minority groups that would otherwise often be lost in the shuffle among a broader demographic slice. Plenty of majority-minority districts that aren't particularly ugly can be drawn either way.

I agree with you that sometimes the current interpretation of the VRA promotes uncompetitiveness, but that can be fixed without scrapping the entire enterprise.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 11:05:56 PM »

I tend to agree with the OP to a certain extent.  Maybe if individual districts were less racially monolithic then there would also be less of a stark partisan divide on race. 
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 08:32:23 AM »

African american segregation is mostly forced although immigrant segregation has a pretty strong self selection part to it considering that different immigrants often self group with their selves such as Il 4th having a northern Puerto Rican side and Southern Mexican side
(Yes ik Puerto Ricans aren't immigrants its just an important point.) I highly doubt even white racists care whether Puerto Ricans and Mexicans are together or separated.
Girlytree
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 11:05:48 PM »

The VRA requirements have hurt minority representation.

Also, why do we have this idea that minorities are to by default vote against whites and vice versa? Isn’t that a little counterproductive?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 12:23:34 AM »

In such (unlikely) case - of course. VRA districts are almost always a monstrosity (invented to fight another monstrosity - partisan gerrymandering).
Neptunium
Taiwan

Political Matrix
E: 5.16, S: -1.90

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 01:11:46 AM »

Why not, too many ugly districts come from VRA.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 10:50:50 AM »

I think it’s a necessary condition of getting a truly fair system - or at least relax the requirements a bit. For example in Alabama you could get a single heavily gerrymandered district which is 65% black and the rest of the districts would be Republican or you could get two Dem-voting districts which are about 50-50 and much more compact and therefore fair.

Or like in Chicago where the current map is one of the ugliest in the country. Just because the neighborhoods there are segregated doesn’t mean congressional maps should be.
What is a fair system?

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 11:05:52 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2021, 05:56:52 PM by Torie »

Not if the Pubs control where the lines go, no, particularly for blacks, but still also for Hispanics in most places. Pubs like Hispanic precincts in Pub districts in just the right amount, because the Dem margins divided by the total population in many Hispanic precincts are so low. A perfect example of that is my TX-07 that I drew in my Pubmander. I sought out such precincts like a ravenous wolf.

Back when it was the Dems who screwed minorities in many places by spreading them around in just the right amount to elect white Dems. But that can't happen any more politically. Their black and Hispanic base won't stand for it.

Fair to me means minorities can elect candidates of their choice in this context.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 11:09:04 AM »

What people refer to as "VRA districts" are not required by the VRA, were actually not common until after the 1990 Census decades after its passage, and have nothing to do with electing Black/Hispanic members to Congress.

Please actually look up what the VRA does and how we ended up with those type of districts before speaking on things.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 04:34:17 PM »

Not if the Pubs control where the lines go, no, particularly for blacks, but still also for Hispanics in most places. Pubs like Hispanic precincts in Pub districts in just the right amount, because the Dem margins divided by the total population in many Hispanic precincts is so low. A perfect example of that is my TX-07 that I drew in my Pubmander. I sought them out such precincts like a ravenous wolf.

Back when it was the Dems who screwed minorities in many places by spreading them around in just the right amount to elect white Dems. But that can't happen any more politically. Their black and Hispanic base won't stand for it.

Fair to me means minorities can elect candidates of their choice in this context.
I perceive what you are saying is that COI are not always defined by geography, and that distinct COI should have representation chosen by the community.

This can be achieved by permitting voters to enroll in a community, and weight the vote of the community's representative by the size of the community.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 04:58:25 PM »

No, of course not.  Minority representation should be a huge consideration for any truly *fair* map.

The point of VRA districts is to allow minority communities adequate representation.  That will always be a valid criterion, no matter how (un)polarized racial voting patterns become. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2021, 06:09:09 PM »

The point of VRA districts is to allow minority communities adequate representation.  That will always be a valid criterion, no matter how (un)polarized racial voting patterns become. 

This is what always gets missed. Bringing up Tim Scott or Lauren Underwood is a total red herring, it's not about simply electing black Representatives, or even requiring black majority districts.

For example it'll be basically impossible to keep OH-11 majority black after redistricting especially with Ohio's rules on redistricting. That's not a violation of the VRA, nor is there a requirement that long snaky districts be drawn to create black majority seats.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2021, 09:50:23 PM »

I feel like it should be kept only for when a very compact district can be drawn. After a certain point though, trying to bacon-strip a place like the south side of Chicago or fajitas in South Texas to get as many 50% + 1 districts as possible becomes ridiculous.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2021, 11:37:41 PM »

No, of course not.  Minority representation should be a huge consideration for any truly *fair* map.

Exactly.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2021, 09:25:29 AM »

Can you define what you mean by a community?

Presumably a community is a group of persons who have some shared characteristics. What characteristic do you consider salient?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2021, 02:54:21 PM »

Presumably a community is a group of persons who have some shared characteristics. What characteristic do you consider salient?

I’m not well-versed in what the courts have ruled in regards to this question.  But my layman’s principle is basically that no racial, ethnic or linguistic minority (given it is compact enough) should be drawn into districts in such a way that unnecessarily dilutes their ability to vote as a bloc.  In places where these minorities are large and compact enough, this can mean the creation of opportunity districts to allow the election of candidates of choice.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2021, 09:32:49 AM »

I’m not well-versed in what the courts have ruled in regards to this question.  But my layman’s principle is basically that no racial, ethnic or linguistic minority (given it is compact enough) should be drawn into districts in such a way that unnecessarily dilutes their ability to vote as a bloc.  In places where these minorities are large and compact enough, this can mean the creation of opportunity districts to allow the election of candidates of choice.
If what makes an individual a member of a community is not their place of residence but rather other characteristics, such as their race or ethnicity, why base electorates solely on place of residence?

If the black community is choosing their representative, why let other persons who live in proximity interfere in their choice of representative?
Girlytree
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2021, 05:13:45 PM »

If what makes an individual a member of a community is not their place of residence but rather other characteristics, such as their race or ethnicity, why base electorates solely on place of residence?

If the black community is choosing their representative, why let other persons who live in proximity interfere in their choice of representative?
Hmmm let me think...

Maybe because that’s SEGREGATION and it’s BAD? Ever thought of that?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2021, 04:48:03 AM »

Hmmm let me think...

Maybe because that’s SEGREGATION and it’s BAD? Ever thought of that?
You state, "that is segregation." It is unclear what the pronoun "that" refers to.

Del Tachi wrote that the purpose of VRA is to "allow minority communities adequate representation." What did he mean by "minority community", or if you believe there are such things as "minority communities" what are they?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2021, 11:22:50 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2021, 11:34:06 PM by Del Tachi »

Del Tachi wrote that the purpose of VRA is to "allow minority communities adequate representation." What did he mean by "minority community", or if you believe there are such things as "minority communities" what are they?

To revisit this, my initial post made the point that minority communities "compact enough" are deserving of protection.  Geographic compactness is obviously a (major) aspect of what defines a community or place.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2021, 11:29:28 AM »

To revisit this, my initial post made the point that minority communities "compact enough" are deserving of protection.  Geographic compactness is obviously a (major) aspect of what defines a community or place.
Do we agree that a community is comprised of a group of individuals?

In mathematical terms, if the universal set is all eligible voters in a state (if we are discussing a state legislature) how are you defining subsets that are communities?

Why not just let each voter choose their community? Each community could then choose their own representative, and exercise a vote proportional to the size of their community.

If a community were too large it would be divided. If a community were too small its members could choose a new community.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies