Opinion of the NPC meme
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 10:39:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the NPC meme
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What do you think about the new NPC meme?
Freedom meme (Lean left)

Horrible meme (Lean left)

Unsure (Lean left)

Freedom meme (lean right)

Horrible meme (lean right)

Unsure (lean right)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Opinion of the NPC meme  (Read 2814 times)
Chinggis
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2018, 09:52:00 PM »

The NPC meme sprang from a study which purported to show 80% of people have no inner monologue. It wasn't political at all; it's since been hijacked by right-wingers. I'm convinced that many of the MAGA people are, in fact, NPCs, because they all spout the same words like trained parrots. If you believe in simulation theory- and I do- NPC hypothesis might be an integral component.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2018, 10:48:17 PM »

The NPC meme sprang from a study which purported to show 80% of people have no inner monologue. It wasn't political at all; it's since been hijacked by right-wingers. I'm convinced that many of the MAGA people are, in fact, NPCs, because they all spout the same words like trained parrots. If you believe in simulation theory- and I do- NPC hypothesis might be an integral component.

what is inner monologue?
Chinggis
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2018, 10:58:42 PM »

Speaking to yourself in words. Playing out imaginary scenarios in your mind, imagining what other people might say and react to. Stuff like that.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2018, 11:00:22 PM »

Speaking to yourself in words. Playing out imaginary scenarios in your mind, imagining what other people might say and react to. Stuff like that.

How did they determine 80% of people don't do that? I'm pretty sure everyone I've ever known does that.
Chinggis
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2018, 11:07:35 PM »

How did they determine 80% of people don't do that? I'm pretty sure everyone I've ever known does that.

It was a study of university students with a very small sample size. link to the original survey: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/pristine-inner-experience/201110/not-everyone-conducts-inner-speech
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2018, 03:10:41 AM »

Honestly, about the inner monologue study, I often find myself talking to myself outloud, which is considered weird, but apparently having no inner monologue is also weird? Tongue
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2018, 08:26:12 PM »

Will be forgotten about within a year.

Sure, but its more for the election in a couple weeks.

Kudos: this post legitimately made me laugh. Do you really think this meme will have any effect on the midterms either way? I'd be surprised if 90% of the Republican base even know what an NPC is with or without the context of it being a meme. Like 90% of all Online Political Content, it's just performative stuff: preaching to the already converted for the sake of maintaining a circlejerk.

Did the Pepe meme and others have an effect on getting Trump elected? Many people think so.

In what universe?

The online universe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7ZuffBrloo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Y-P0v2Hh0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFZSyVfBo54

Have you considered you are too Online for your own good?

Maybe so, but you cannot deny the power of internet meme-ry and trolls. They just voted on a 4chan meme ("It's ok to be white") in the Australian Senate for crying out loud.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2018, 04:35:30 PM »

Honestly, about the inner monologue study, I often find myself talking to myself outloud, which is considered weird, but apparently having no inner monologue is also weird? Tongue

You're breaking the conditioning. The more inner monologues you have, the more enlightened you are. Schizophrenia is the ultimate redpill.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2018, 10:31:13 PM »

The meme seems to be yet another incarnation of right wing projection on the left.

Now if you apply it to Dem senators it makes sense since they all may as well be the same person
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2018, 08:28:56 AM »

It perfectly describes people on both sides.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2018, 08:36:32 AM »

When you consider that in most video games the NPCs have more personality than the Player Characters does this meme really make sense.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2018, 08:41:20 AM »

This - used apolitically, it is funny and appropriate.

The use of it by right-leaners like it's a unique attack on the left or an equivalent to the russian troll thing is kind of sad and shows how little introspection on people who use it that way. Plus if your idea of a political meme is 'people who don't agree with me agree with each other', you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as ideas for the country go.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies