Should R-rated movies be allowed to be shown in high schools? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:32:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should R-rated movies be allowed to be shown in high schools? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should R-rated movies be allowed to be shown in high schools?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Should R-rated movies be allowed to be shown in high schools?  (Read 10455 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: November 02, 2007, 11:41:33 AM »

Yes, they should be allowed to be shown in high schools, though for students under 17, parental consent should be required.  If the parents do not consent, the students should have an alternative assignment/activity that is of equal value.

I think movies and documentaries are great ways to present some material.  I find anybody that has some sort of problem with showing movies as if they are not educational to be wrong.

Each child has a different style of learning, and I think a lot of students (especially boys) are left behind by the traditional "lecture" and "take notes" or "read" and "take an exam" style of learning.  Teachers that use several different mediums to present material often reach students very well.

The most interesting history class I ever had used not only lecture but also videos/documentaries as well as novels, texts, primary sources, and speakers.  The exams covered all of this material rather than relying only on texts/novels.

Being biased against a certain media in a classroom is more likely based on your personal style of learning and not because certain ways are "better" for conveying information to students.

Then again, I am captivated by visual presentations and learn a lot better from them than listening to a teacher lecture, so I can't say I'm not biased myself.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 09:48:01 PM »

The contents of this thread makes me glad that parents have relatively little say in school curriculum.  It's clear that they have way to many prejudices to be actively included in the process.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies