To All: Should Dan Lipinski be Primaried? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:50:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  To All: Should Dan Lipinski be Primaried? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: D+6 District, voted 55-40 for Hillary.
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (I)

No (I)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 97

Author Topic: To All: Should Dan Lipinski be Primaried?  (Read 10655 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« on: August 28, 2017, 09:02:36 PM »

Cuellar is almost certainly the second most useless incumbent Democrat and that's saying quite a bit - he's a fiercely conservative blue dog in a district that voted for Clinton by TWENTY POINTS.

Second of course, to the infamous Jim Cooper, the only Democrat to regularly vote against minimum wage increases, the ONLY Democrat who voted against Hurricane aide in 2012, in a district that trended toward Hillary and she won by 19 points.

I suppose that makes Mr. Lipinski third.

In terms of which democrats vote with Trump the most, Cuellar is in 1st place, Lipinski is in 9th, and Cooper is in 12th. Also in the Top 12 is Peterson, Sinema, Costa, O'Halleran, Gottheimer, Murphy, Bishop, Crist, and Schrader.

Most of those people are in swing districts.

Anyway, Lipinski is awful and needs to go.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 11:32:54 AM »

I don't really get the "He's a good fit for Democrats in his district" line. If Democrats in his district love him so much, then they won't primary him. If he is successfully primaried, then I guess he wasn't a good fit for his district's Democrats after all, was he?

Also they voted for Clinton and Obama, so a real Democrat should have no trouble in the GE.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 09:14:58 PM »

I don't really get the "He's a good fit for Democrats in his district" line. If Democrats in his district love him so much, then they won't primary him. If he is successfully primaried, then I guess he wasn't a good fit for his district's Democrats after all, was he?

Also they voted for Clinton and Obama, so a real Democrat should have no trouble in the GE.

People in his district writ large=/=the small but vocal left wing base trying to take him out. Look at his previous primaries-he turned them back handily.

Reread the bolded part of my post. No one is advocating that the "small but vocal left wing base" forcibly remove bigots like Lipinski from office. The people who decide whether he will be primaried are...the Democratic voters in his district. So we don't have to worry about dastardly liberal activists negating the will of the people.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 09:06:39 AM »

People in his district writ large=/=the small but vocal left wing base trying to take him out. Look at his previous primaries-he turned them back handily.

Reread the bolded part of my post. No one is advocating that the "small but vocal left wing base" forcibly remove bigots like Lipinski from office. The people who decide whether he will be primaried are...the Democratic voters in his district. So we don't have to worry about dastardly liberal activists negating the will of the people.

English is a second language for me, but, IIRC, "should" is almost "must". That's why i answered "no". Of course, he can be primaried, and it's up to the people of his district to decide by whom, and whether he is worthy to be renominated. But if a question is "whether Lipinski must be primaried?" - then i repeat my "no". He fits his district well, IMHO, and District, while mostly Democratic, is not of ultraliberal type... Especially on social issues....

...and now you're ignoring the rest of my post.

If you were a voter in the district, would you vote for Lipinski because "he fits the district"? Of course not, because "the district" is just the sum of all the voters in the district, including you. It's possible that you simply prefer Lipinski over a liberal, so why don't you say so?

When I hear "Should Lipinski be primaried" I think it means "If you were a voter in Lipinski's district, would you vote for a more liberal Democrat over him in the primary?" In my case, I would. But it's ultimately not my decision, like any election that occurs outside of my area.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 04:52:52 PM »

Thank god IL 3rd is made up of decent humans with good bearings and common sense, otherwise they would be deceived into voting for candidates who literally would only have backing from out of state nancy pelosi esq interest groups. Dan cares about the people, people like SJoyce are just looking to flip a seat, and ignore it afterwards.

Of course bigots like you love Dan Lipinski.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 05:01:49 PM »

Dan Lipinski represents the worst aspects of the Democratic Party. And stop using "It's a conservative district" as an excuse. Come on. They voted for Hillary Clinton. This isn't West Virginia. He's a bigot, he's evil, and he is a relic of an era that we're trying to move past. Being an anti-LGBT Democrat in a Democratic district isn't "cute." It's disgusting and harmful, and people defending Lipinski, you're better than this.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 11:40:23 PM »

In 2020: Should Donald Trump be beaten?

Atlas: no, the US is a socially conservative country, you authoritarian!
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 11:42:31 PM »

Let people of the district decide it THEMSELVES!!!

Why bother having a Congressional elections forum then?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 12:55:06 AM »

Let people of the district decide it THEMSELVES!!!

Why bother having a Congressional elections forum then?

Congressional elections exist exactly for purpose of  giving people of the districts the possibility to decide who represent them THEMSELVES, only this time - represent them in Washington (and that's the only distinction of congressional elections from state legislative). It's no one else's business. I really hate when anyone outside of district interferes in local electoral process, and it doesn't matter for me who they are - Koch brothers on Republican side or rich liberal Holliwood actors and producerson Democratic. They both are, essentially, the same for me. Such questions must be decided by local people, who decide whom to send to Washington (in Congressional case) to represent THEIR (not party or someone else) interests there...

Weren't you lecturing me about Charlie Baker a while back?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 09:16:38 PM »

Keep in mind that one third of all democrats describe themselves as pro-life.
Couple this with the pro choice democrats who couldn't give a toss about cultural war issues, and I would probably say that a majority of democrats in general don't care all that much about abortion.

This is definitely something where the activist wing of the party is out of step with rank and file democrats, in terms of priorities.

There are other issues Lipinski is downright reactionary on besides abortion.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 04:24:46 PM »

In 2020: Should Donald Trump be beaten?

Atlas: no, the US is a socially conservative country, you authoritarian!

I do love the idea that someone who denies people their civil rights should not be challenged by his own party if his own district is somehow said to mirror his views.

If his district mirrors his views he may be challenged (if people of the district wish to do it), but it's very likely he will get reelected. And it's ONLY for people of the district (and courts if neccessary) to decide whether he denies some people their civil rights or not. It's absolutely no one else business... Again - if his views mirrors district's - he will get reelected exactly because of that.

This thread is addressed "to all."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies