More likely to flip: Indiana or Virginia?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:41:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  More likely to flip: Indiana or Virginia?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which state?
Indiana

Virginia

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: More likely to flip: Indiana or Virginia?  (Read 1714 times)
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2017, 09:42:36 PM »

Honestly can't tell. VA's not going anywhere with Trump at the helm. Then again, Indiana's almost as titanium R as in 2004...
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:20:34 PM »

This might be an interesting question if you asked "West Virginia or Virginia".

West Virginia's a lost cause for Democrats.  Some board posters think that West Virginia will be the first state to revolt against Trump if he doesn't deliver on his promises, but I doubt it... it's socially conservative voters who despise "elitist east coast types."

I don't think it's dead to WV Democrats just yet. Manchin types can still win, and I think there are better days ahead for the WV Democratic Party. But don't expect it to vote D in a presidential year anytime soon, I agree.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 10:47:11 PM »

Indiana. Someone like Cory Booker or Sherrod Brown could win the state.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 11:25:32 PM »

I don't think Trump will do as well in Indiana in 2020, since Indiana tends to be tough on incumbents, but I have a very hard time seeing Indiana even come close to flipping. He'd have to lose an insane amount of support. So I'd say Virginia, even though it's hard to imagine him winning it.
Eharding

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 12:30:27 AM »

I don't think Trump will do as well in Indiana in 2020, since Indiana tends to be tough on incumbents, but I have a very hard time seeing Indiana even come close to flipping. He'd have to lose an insane amount of support. So I'd say Virginia, even though it's hard to imagine him winning it.

-Indiana was one of the few states in the country that trended toward Bush in 04, so I wouldn't call it anti-incumbent per se.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 12:38:18 AM »

Probably Virginia, but it would be nice if that weren't the case.  Hopefully Trump will be in so much trouble by the election that Indiana will be more likely to flip.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 12:41:14 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2017, 12:42:54 AM by Fremont Assemblyman RFayette »

LOLno.  Obama's '08 victory in Indiana was not because he was black (though it did help in Lake/Marion County turnout), but rather the immense negative impact on the RV industry that high oil prices and the recession caused, along with the recession crushing manufacturing jobs as well as the unpopularity of the Iraq War, plus Obama massively outspending McCain.  It seems unlikely that these events would be replicated with Booker.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 12:43:11 AM »

"Someone like Cory Booker or Sherrod Brown"? What does that even mean?
Eharding

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 01:07:47 AM »

-"A Senator to the right of Sanders, but to the left of HRC."
http://voteview.com/SENATE_SORT113.HTM
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 08:29:25 AM »

-"A Senator to the right of Sanders, but to the left of HRC."
http://voteview.com/SENATE_SORT113.HTM

How is Booker to the left of Clinton? And even so, ideology is not everything in politics.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 08:43:27 AM »

Virginia of course. Hillary won it with a small plurality. Trump won Indiana with a huge majority and still has room to grow in the suburbs where he underperformed. Sherrod Brown is way too far left for my state, the idea that rural midwesterners, especially in the lower Midwest, are waiting for the white true leftist hero is an atlas fiction. Booker couldn't beat Trump here either barring a major crisis, Obama 08 was a fluke, the random time when Nate Silver's 5% chance wins.
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 09:58:12 AM »

Virginia of course. Hillary won it with a small plurality. Trump won Indiana with a huge majority and still has room to grow in the suburbs where he underperformed. Sherrod Brown is way too far left for my state, the idea that rural midwesterners, especially in the lower Midwest, are waiting for the white true leftist hero is an atlas fiction. Booker couldn't beat Trump here either barring a major crisis, Obama 08 was a fluke, the random time when Nate Silver's 5% chance wins.
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 10:42:20 AM »

Liberal_1776
Political Matrix
E: -2.55, S: -3.41

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 11:53:30 AM »

Interesting question, and as others have mentioned, I really don't think either is likely. I could see Virginia voting for a John Kasich or Susan Collins, but I think that Trump's populist message puts off the state where Ed Gillespie is the top Republican. Maybe if it were a real landslide, but I think Nevada, New Hampshire, Maine, Nevada, and Colorado would flip first.

India voted Democratic in 2008, but I'm pretty sure that was a one-time thing. Even when it looks like Democrats are going to win races in the Hoosier State, like with Bayh, or John Gregg, Republicans usually end up winning. Joe Donnelly is the exception, though. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Donnelly in 2018. Without a really successful Democrat who appeals to white, working-class voters, Indiana will remain a Trump state.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 01:14:44 PM »

Virginia
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 04:25:57 PM »

I'd have to agree because Indiana is gonna kick out Silent Joe Donnelly in 2018. Stutzman is getting the seat he should have gotten last year.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 04:29:26 PM »

Why are people acting like Virginia is Titanium D now? Hillary Clinton picked a Virginian as her running mate and geared her campaign message toward wealthy suburban voters like the ones in NOVA, but she only won the state by 5 points. 5 points is still a good margin for Virginia but is nowhere near the 19 points by which Trump carried Indiana.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 05:10:51 PM »

I'd have to agree because Indiana is gonna kick out Silent Joe Donnelly in 2018. Stutzman is getting the seat he should have gotten last year.

Not in a Dem wave year.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 05:39:48 PM »

Stutzman might do even worse in 2018 than he did in 2016. I agree that Donnelly will almost certainly lose, but not to him.
JCL, you need to stop obsessing over Lil' Marlin. He's done with electoral politics. He's now got a consulting/lobbying job, and the Ethics Committee is still going after him I think.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies