The Next Major Third Party (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:15:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The Next Major Third Party (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Next Major Third Party  (Read 7454 times)
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« on: November 17, 2004, 11:15:21 PM »

The Reform Party died in January 2003 when its last Governors left office and Tom Golisano failed to break 20 in the New York Governor's race.

And, heck, Golisano was running on the Independence ticket, anyway...

After nominating Buchanan and then Nader, the Reform Party is probably so discredited that any new multimillionare running would just pull a Perot and start his own campaign.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 10:27:08 PM »

the videogame party- getting respect for all the losers out there

slogan "we roxor, you're a bunch of noobs and haxors!"

seriously guys, thats why we need to kill them all off, before this really does happen

No danger of that, their core voters will be too busy playing video games (ironically enough, probably games released by the campaign...) to actually go out and vote...
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 08:12:27 PM »

Ten percent is a lot for a third party.

I agree it would take a lot of money and a high profile candidate to achieve this level.

There would have to be a good reason for people to vote for a third party candidate.  They would have to be the right candidate with a platform that appeals to people's dissatisfaction with the status quo.

In 1912, former President Theodore Roosevelt ran as the candidate of the Progressive Party and received about 27% of the vote, more popular votes and more electoral votes than the Republican, President William Howard Taft.

If there were similar circumstances as in 1912, this scenario would be possible, however, I do not expect to see this happen again.

There really isn't anyone with that much popular following in either party to pull something like that off.

I mean, McCain could try to pull something off in the event that both parties choose 'wingnuts,' but I doubt that his campaign would get much of anywhere.

The only person with enough pull to do that is Bill Clinton...and he's ineligible to run again.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies