Opinion of extreme 'sensitivity' measures taken by academia (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:15:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of extreme 'sensitivity' measures taken by academia (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: .
FM

HM

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Opinion of extreme 'sensitivity' measures taken by academia  (Read 1318 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: August 29, 2015, 07:16:07 AM »

Its so cute how libs think that changing words is going to somehow change how society views gender

This is not unprecedented and yes it does become part of societal change. When I was growing up there was a big deal placed on whether a woman was married, much more so than whether a man was married. We were taught specific uses of the Miss vs. Mrs title. Ms had been a variant in use, but it wasn't until the early '70's that it was pushed by feminists to equalize the view of marital status. By the time I was in college in the late 70's they encouraged the use of Ms instead of Miss or Mrs. Now the use of Ms is widespread and preferred by many style guides, and society is less concerned about the marital status of women than in 1970. I can't say that the word use caused the change, but both changes did happen.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies