Special Election megathread (5/21: CA-20)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:59:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special Election megathread (5/21: CA-20)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 114
Author Topic: Special Election megathread (5/21: CA-20)  (Read 140874 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: June 04, 2021, 03:28:17 PM »

Do you see me raging or crying about these people? *writes a 3 paragraph post raging and crying about those people right afterwards*
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #376 on: June 04, 2021, 03:48:31 PM »

Turner dominates both the primary and general. I get to watch Atlas Dems rage while Congress becomes one member more populist; win-win.

Who's raging?  Do you see me raging or crying about Ilhan Omar or Rashida Tlaib or Cori Bush?

They're terrible people (especially Omar).  They're really f---ing obnoxious.  They're breathtakingly arrogant.  They lie constantly.  They say insane things on a weekly basis.  They are embarrassing to the party.  They are embarrassing to those who have to constantly rationalize and defend their stupid statements.  They constantly kneecap our candidates by providing the Republican Party with a paintbrush of stupidity and awfulness which is then used to tar our whole party.

That's not "rage", that's just the truth.  If a blue avatar was on here talking about how horrible and embarrassing Matt Gaetz is, that's not "raging", that's just the truth.  The problem is that so many self-proclaimed "progressives" have turned their movement into little more than a set of personality cults united behind a sophomoric purity test.  They get obsessed with these candidates and buy into this notion that they're going to save America, when really all they're doing is advancing their own careers and raking in cash by repeating the same dozen or so talking points you can hear from a million different leftist pundits a thousand times a day.  None of them have, or ever will, accomplish anything of note other than making themselves rich and famous.

And yet so many "progressives" worship them.  Why?  Because they go around passionately attacking Democrats and repeating your favorite talking points, and because you see a lot of your friends worshipping them.  That's all there is too it.

Nina Turner is just another drop in the bucket.  Nobody is "afraid" of your movement.  Their self-promotional theatrics and arrogance would be eye-rolling if there wasn't so much collateral political damage involved.  And of course there's also the risk that if our majority shrinks enough, a small band of 5-6 crazy people could unite to become the House's version of Joe Manchin and pull aggravating political stunts anytime their fundraising needs a boost, like refusing to vote for a reconciliation package unless Pelosi holds a vote on an official Congressional endorsement of Hamas, or whatever the politically suicidal cause of the week is.

You know that the House majority is already small enough for this, right? It's almost like they aren't trying to sabotage the party in the way that you think that they are. A small cohort of moderates in the Senate are the only individuals responsible for the lack of progress on a myriad of the party's critical initiatives, period. God forbid progressives actually advocate for the sizable share of the Democratic base that wants greater scrutiny on foreign aid to Israel or doesn't want us to eliminate the SALT cap or wants student debt eliminated. I have criticized progressives' political instincts in the past and will continue to do so when I see it fit, but I just don't think that there is compelling evidence to suggest that they pose an existential threat to the Democratic Party's electoral fortunes.

And the difference between you complaining about Rashida Tlaib and Republicans complaining about Matt Gaetz is that Matt Gaetz is almost certainly a literal child predator. Not much of an equivalence there.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #377 on: June 04, 2021, 06:16:53 PM »

I legitimately think that GMA is incapable of processing that the Squad have been solidly reliable votes on pretty much everyting while his fabled moderates are the ones who are not.

Also, comparing Tlaib to Gaetz? That's low, even for you, GMA. Only one of them is a kiddy diddler, and it's not Tlaib.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #378 on: June 04, 2021, 06:47:11 PM »

Nina Turner got on my nerves in too in both 2016 and 2020, but I think she'll be more agreeable as a congresswoman and probably earn some respect from me when her voting record starts to develop. I can put my pettiness aside.
Duke of York

« Reply #379 on: June 04, 2021, 08:01:50 PM »

Turner dominates both the primary and general. I get to watch Atlas Dems rage while Congress becomes one member more populist; win-win.

She will be unopposed in the November election. I don't think any Republican is running.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #380 on: June 04, 2021, 10:57:11 PM »

Who's raging?  Do you see me raging or crying about Ilhan Omar or Rashida Tlaib or Cori Bush?

They're terrible people (especially Omar).  They're really f---ing obnoxious.  They're breathtakingly arrogant.  They lie constantly.  They say insane things on a weekly basis.  They are embarrassing to the party.  They are embarrassing to those who have to constantly rationalize and defend their stupid statements.  They constantly kneecap our candidates by providing the Republican Party with a paintbrush of stupidity and awfulness which is then used to tar our whole party.

That's not "rage", that's just the truth.  If a blue avatar was on here talking about how horrible and embarrassing Matt Gaetz is, that's not "raging", that's just the truth.  The problem is that so many self-proclaimed "progressives" have turned their movement into little more than a set of personality cults united behind a sophomoric purity test.  They get obsessed with these candidates and buy into this notion that they're going to save America, when really all they're doing is advancing their own careers and raking in cash by repeating the same dozen or so talking points you can hear from a million different leftist pundits a thousand times a day.  None of them have, or ever will, accomplish anything of note other than making themselves rich and famous.

And yet so many "progressives" worship them.  Why?  Because they go around passionately attacking Democrats and repeating your favorite talking points, and because you see a lot of your friends worshipping them.  That's all there is too it.

Nina Turner is just another drop in the bucket.  Nobody is "afraid" of your movement.  Their self-promotional theatrics and arrogance would be eye-rolling if there wasn't so much collateral political damage involved.  And of course there's also the risk that if our majority shrinks enough, a small band of 5-6 crazy people could unite to become the House's version of Joe Manchin and pull aggravating political stunts anytime their fundraising needs a boost, like refusing to vote for a reconciliation package unless Pelosi holds a vote on an official Congressional endorsement of Hamas, or whatever the politically suicidal cause of the week is.

You played yourself.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #381 on: June 10, 2021, 09:46:42 PM »

No Republican is running in the general election so obviously safe d.

False.

Anyway, Turner secured the endorsement of former ODP Chairman David Pepper earlier today. Pepper was the 2014 nominee for Attorney General when Turner was the nominee for Secretary of State, so they've campaigned together in the past. The whole idea that Turner won't be a team player in Ohio is absurd.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #382 on: June 10, 2021, 10:51:20 PM »

Disappointed that she's almost certainly going to win, but I hope she will be more agreeable and cooperative in Congress than she has been as a Sanders surrogate.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #383 on: June 16, 2021, 11:20:47 AM »

El Oh El
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #384 on: June 16, 2021, 11:46:13 AM »

El Oh El

Oh goodness Hillary, come on now.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #385 on: June 16, 2021, 12:08:33 PM »

It is no longer Turner's race to lose. Shame on Hillary.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #386 on: June 16, 2021, 12:18:23 PM »

El Oh El
I can feel the butthurt seeping from this tweet.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #387 on: June 16, 2021, 12:25:13 PM »

El Oh El
Interesting
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #388 on: June 16, 2021, 12:33:36 PM »

It is no longer Turner's race to lose. Shame on Hillary.

Incumbent Congressman Eliot Engel agrees.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #389 on: June 16, 2021, 12:37:38 PM »

My take is that this endorsement will have minimal impact on the race. Almost no one who isn't terminally online has even thought about Hillary Clinton in like half a decade, and she's done this before with a rather poor track record (e.g. Eliot Engel).
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #390 on: June 16, 2021, 12:39:14 PM »

My take is that this endorsement will have minimal impact on the race. Almost no one who isn't terminally online has even thought about Hillary Clinton in like half a decade, and she's done this before with a rather poor track record (e.g. Eliot Engel).
Agreed. I just don't see Hillary's endorsement really moving many votes at best.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #391 on: June 16, 2021, 12:52:25 PM »

Turner is gonna win with over 50% of the vote. And it will be well deserved. Hillary, as always, has terrible political instincts and terrible views.

Go Nina!
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #392 on: June 16, 2021, 01:12:17 PM »

This won't matter, but it's funny to see Turner supports on Twitter talk about Hillary's endorsement being "the kiss of death" when Hillary handily beat Sanders in OH-11 in the 2016 primary.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #393 on: June 16, 2021, 01:20:40 PM »

This won't matter, but it's funny to see Turner supports on Twitter talk about Hillary's endorsement being "the kiss of death" when Hillary handily beat Sanders in OH-11 in the 2016 primary.

And absolutely nothing has happened since then.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #394 on: June 16, 2021, 01:22:53 PM »

Turner once supported into, but she flipped to Sanders allegedly after Clinton refused to hire her as a surrogate. The same people who complained about Clinton being "coronated" are not chastising Clinton for endorsing Turner's opponent. Not everyone has to support Turner for goodness sake.
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #395 on: June 16, 2021, 01:25:51 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2021, 01:31:08 PM by The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow »

It's still ridiculous to act like this endorsement will harm Brown. Of course it's not 2016 anymore, but I have no reason to believe that a significant number of Hillary's supporters in the 2016 primary have turned against her in the last five years. And as far as everyone wants to make this race and the 2016 primary proxies for the broader moderate-progressive conflict, the 2020 presidential primary certainly was a resounding win for the moderate side, including in the Midwest.

I would probably rather have Turner in Congress, so I'm not endorsing Hillary's endorsement, I'm just saying that Hillary is still a well-liked figure among most Democrats and thus calling her endorsement "the kiss of death" is laughable.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #396 on: June 16, 2021, 01:35:55 PM »

It's still ridiculous to act like this endorsement will harm Brown. Of course it's not 2016 anymore, but I have no reason to believe that a significant number of Hillary's supporters in the 2016 primary have turned against her in the last five years. And as far as everyone wants to make this race and the 2016 primary proxies for the broader moderate-progressive conflict, the 2020 presidential primary certainly was a resounding win for the moderate side, including in the Midwest.

I would probably rather have Turner in Congress, so I'm not endorsing Hillary's endorsement, I'm just saying that Hillary is still a well-liked figure among most Democrats and thus calling her endorsement "the kiss of death" is laughable.

I agree with you that "kiss of death" is a bit extreme, but it's also likely more tongue-in-cheek than it is a serious statement. Like you say, this will have absolutely no impact on the race. Still, this endorsement reeks of yet another stab at a Bernie acolyte for the sake of doing so. Did she ever endorse a primary challenge to Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, etc?
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #397 on: June 16, 2021, 01:43:24 PM »

The most pathetic, entitled politician in the Democratic Party still can't lose gracefully, takes another failed swipe at the left. Sad!
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #398 on: June 16, 2021, 01:47:56 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2021, 01:54:17 PM by The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow »

I agree with you that "kiss of death" is a bit extreme, but it's also likely more tongue-in-cheek than it is a serious statement. Like you say, this will have absolutely no impact on the race. Still, this endorsement reeks of yet another stab at a Bernie acolyte for the sake of doing so. Did she ever endorse a primary challenge to Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, etc?

I wish it was entirely tongue-in-cheek, but online progressives are largely convinced that Hillary is genuinely disliked by a majority of the Democratic base, much as they are still in disbelief that Hillary and Biden actually won their respective primaries.

I mean, there's really no doubt that Hillary harbors some resentment towards the Sanders campaign; she pretty much said it herself during her Hulu documentary, and I think she talks at length about it in her book. But at the end of the day, this race is between a mainstream Democrat and a progressive who has repeatedly criticized the party and its figureheads, so it shouldn't be surprising that Hillary would endorse the former even if the latter had nothing to do with Bernie Sanders personally. Was her personal animus towards Turner a motivating factor? I'm sure it was, but it's a totally predictable endorsement from an ideological angle. And no, she didn't endorse Tlaib's or Omar's challengers last year, but that's pretty different because they were incumbents whereas this is an open race. (And Omar and Tlaib pretty aggressively associated themselves with Sanders too, so I guess I don't understand the contrast you're trying to make. Hell, Tlaib got in some hot water for booing Hillary's name at an event in 2020.)

She made plenty of endorsements in open congressional primaries in 2018 and 2020, so this isn't really unusual. Once again, I'm not denying that there was any personal animus involved, but it's still par for the course.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #399 on: June 16, 2021, 02:10:33 PM »

I'll add that Clinton is a great endorsement to receive if you want to I raise money. And it is entirely possible that Brown asked for an endorsement. One thing people who haven't ever worked or volunteered inside of a campaign at the upper level don't know is that candidates often ask for endorsements.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 114  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies