Gun Control: Democrats Only (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:53:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Gun Control: Democrats Only (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support Walter Mitty's gun control proposals?
Yes

No

Not a Democrat

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Gun Control: Democrats Only  (Read 2989 times)
Wakie
YaBB God

« on: October 24, 2006, 11:02:33 AM »

You know ... if you really want to limit weapons AND do something which supports American business then treat guns like cars.

*You would have to be at least 16 to operate one.
*You would have to pass a test to prove you can safely operate one before being licensed.
*Failure to possess a license while operating one results in hefty fines and/or jail time.
*In order to operate a firearm you must carry insurance for doing so.  You must carry seperate insurance for each weapon and the more dangerous the weapon the heavier the insurance.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 05:33:25 PM »

You know ... if you really want to limit weapons AND do something which supports American business then treat guns like cars.

*You would have to be at least 16 to operate one.
I don't know anywhere in the US where that is not the case.

Actually I don't believe there is a specific age restriction ANYWHERE in the US on operating a firearm.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Why?
[/quote]

For the same reason you need to pass one to operate a car.  Because untrained, unqualified operators of such items are VERY dangerous.

Ridiculous and actually just intended to make gun ownership restricted to the elites.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Do only "elites" own cars?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 12:23:08 PM »

Driving licenses aren't denied arbitrarily because police officers hate cars. And there is no danger of anyone wanting to confiscate cars en masse.
[/quote]

Now you are switching focus.  I never suggested that a firearms license should be denied arbitrarily or that they be confiscated en masse.  I've only suggested that we treat guns like cars because both are potentially dangerous.

Tell me what is wrong with requiring a license in order to operate a firearm?

Depends on your definition of elite. Anyways, it is ridiculous because insurance doesn't cover voluntary acts anyways
[/quote]

There are 3 ways a firearm can be used.

1. Voluntarily and lawfully (such as in target practice).  Obviously this is not an insurance problem.

2. Voluntarily and criminally (as in robbing someone).  Again, not an insurance problem, but definitely a law enforcement issue.

3. Involuntarily/accidentally (as in a child shooting another child or the Dick Cheney hunting accident).  This type of situation happens a lot and ends up with individuals wanting to sue gun manufacturers.  Insurance will protect the gun manufacturers, reduce court cases, and provide for someone who is harmed in such an accident.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 12:49:27 PM »

Driving licenses aren't denied arbitrarily because police officers hate cars. And there is no danger of anyone wanting to confiscate cars en masse.

Now you are switching focus.  I never suggested that a firearms license should be denied arbitrarily or that they be confiscated en masse.  I've only suggested that we treat guns like cars because both are potentially dangerous.

Tell me what is wrong with requiring a license in order to operate a firearm?
Fact is, where they are required, they are quite oftne denied arbitrarily. As for confiscation, are you retarded? Licenses allow the government to know who owns guns, thus making confiscation much easier.
[/quote]

To make it non-arbitrary you make very concrete black and white items as the yardsticks (THE THERE IS FOR A DRIVER'S LICENSE).  As for confiscation, clearly you must be retarded.  All cars and airplanes require not only licensing but also registration.  WHY THE **** SHOULD FIREARMS BE DIFFERENT!!  I'm not suggesting confiscation!  Besides, you can be licensed and not an owner!  Or you can be an owner and not licensed!  But in order to be an operator you must be licensed!!

It protects manufacturers and operators and victims!  The family of someone accidently shot in a hunting accident would be taken care of by this insurance!  If you are so opposed to insurance then perhaps you should be arguing against requiring driver's to carry it!
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 03:27:08 PM »

You're not, but plenty of people are, and that would make it mighty easier for them. Anyways, you're sugesting that someone who owned a gun but didn't have a license would have to allow someone to break in her house and murder her just becuase she wasn't legaly authorised to operate it?

No clearly that isn't what is being implied.  If a pregnant woman goes into labor and the only person available to drive her doesn't have a license to drive that person can still drive her w/o being charged w/ a crime!

And I'm sorry, your argument that licensing gun operation is a step toward gun confiscation is akin to the argument that gun legalization is a step toward personal nuclear weapon legalization.

But I am.
[/quote]

Well then we're never going to find middle ground on this point.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 09:37:56 PM »

You're not, but plenty of people are, and that would make it mighty easier for them. Anyways, you're sugesting that someone who owned a gun but didn't have a license would have to allow someone to break in her house and murder her just becuase she wasn't legaly authorised to operate it?

No clearly that isn't what is being implied.  If a pregnant woman goes into labor and the only person available to drive her doesn't have a license to drive that person can still drive her w/o being charged w/ a crime!

And I'm sorry, your argument that licensing gun operation is a step toward gun confiscation is akin to the argument that gun legalization is a step toward personal nuclear weapon legalization.

The difference is that my argument has been proven true time and again.

No.  No one has ever tried to confiscate all guns.  Your argument is full of crap.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 11:42:40 AM »

The difference is that my argument has been proven true time and again.

No.  No one has ever tried to confiscate all guns.  Your argument is full of crap.

Obviously, you think America is the world.

No, but we are discussing America and American policy here.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies