Which of these two countries is more liveable? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:31:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Which of these two countries is more liveable? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Jesusland

Aynrandland

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Which of these two countries is more liveable?  (Read 4409 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: May 04, 2013, 02:13:49 PM »

Jesusland is very close to my idea of an ideal state.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 02:15:07 PM »

For specifically me, as a member of a religious minority which would probably be repressed in Jesusland, probably Aynrandland; at least there I'm as bad off as everyone else. It's more difficult to judge (would need more detail) what it would be like to a member of the dominant ethnicity, which is presumably the same in both countries. From your description for someone of this ethnicity Jesusland sounds better, but only as a 'lesser of two very evils' type choice and more details are necessary.

In Jesusland it might depend what sort of Christians are in power. A fairly large portion of evangelicals are massive fans of Israel and the Jews for example.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 02:58:52 PM »

Jesusland is very close to my idea of an ideal state.

Very disturbing thing to say.

Jesusland, though.

But not surprising as I'm easily one of the most socially conservative posters on this forum.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 07:12:29 PM »

The very notion that most of humanity's problems can be solved is a silly one.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 07:52:48 AM »

Assuming that minority religions were tolerated, certainly Jesusland.

Catholic Jesusland > Aynrandland > Evangelical Jesusland

Catholic Jesusland would presumably be against the death penalty and accepting of evolution, whereas Evangelical Jesusland would likely not have even those minor civilizing influences.  I also wonder how theocracies based on other religions would stack up on this metric.

This is an interesting point. My own religious views bear much more relation to Protestantism than to Catholicism, but I suspect that an absolutist Catholic state would be a rather more pleasant place to live.

Given the case facts that the OP gave for Jesusland, I think it would pretty much have to be a Catholic state. Which is fine by me. I suspect the Catholic church would give my sect much more freedom than the evangelicals would.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 04:23:48 PM »

After religion is destroyed, greed by and large will be destroyed.  Most people are naturally benevolent, they need religion/superstition/junk science to feel they have a superior standing than others and therefore justify their greed.
This is backwards, of course. People are naturally self-centred and need society to teach them otherwise.

Plenty aren't. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.
For an atheist, you sure don't seem to put much stock in scientifically conducted research.

What scientifically conducted research?

The most religious Americans actually give more money to secular causes than do secular Americans.

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 09:19:30 PM »

After religion is destroyed, greed by and large will be destroyed.  Most people are naturally benevolent, they need religion/superstition/junk science to feel they have a superior standing than others and therefore justify their greed.
This is backwards, of course. People are naturally self-centred and need society to teach them otherwise.

Plenty aren't.  

For an atheist, you sure don't seem to put much stock in scientifically conducted research.

What scientifically conducted research?

The most religious Americans actually give more money to secular causes than do secular Americans.

And how many "secular" Americans are there?

If you had actually bothered to read the article or the quote I provided, you would have noticed that the authors of the study divided the sample into quintiles from least to most religious. That means the secular and religious samples compared are equal size

Ehhh... go buy your way into heaven/do it because you are told if you like, whether you like it or not that's what guides the good deeds of most religious people.  If the ends justify the means, good for you.  I don't agree.

Unfounded assertion is unfounded

I just don't understand the complete lack of equality in the matter.  The religiouses are allowed to advertise their belief system as the humanity's salvation... but us atheists aren't allowed to do the same?

Nonsense. You're allowed to defend atheism and have done so on many occasions...poorly.

I genuinely believe atheism/agnosticism/secularism is what will save humanity.  That's why I believe in it so strongly.  

A sound and coherent argument if there ever was one.

More bigotry against atheists from the Atlas, but that's to be expected.  Every minority has to deal with BS. 

No. You make unfounded and bigoted assertions against religion and when someone presens contrary evidence you launch into hysterics about some persecution of atheists that only exists in your head.

Religion helps equalize people, and helps people become more charitable... the person a few posts above has it completely backwards.

LOL!  I won't entertain anything that has the words "religion" and "help" in the same sentence... much less "religion" and "equalize".  Yea... when I think equality I think religion. 

Ladies and gentleman. The open minded atheist!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies