Issues where 'your side' frustrates you (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 05:24:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Issues where 'your side' frustrates you (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Issues where 'your side' frustrates you  (Read 3240 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« on: September 02, 2016, 12:44:08 AM »

inb4 nuclear power, abortion, and GMOs

Anyway, I get annoyed by dogmatic Sanders supporters who think that Clinton is literally Satan. And people who think that they're being "principled" by voting for the Green Party. I would happily vote for the Green Party if they were a viable party, but they're not.

And I don't really feel that strongly about free trade vs. protectionism, but I don't like the nationalist arguments that some protectionists use (like, accepting it as a fact that more jobs in Mexico=bad). This also applies to foreign policy--"Why are we getting involved in other countries when there are problems at home?"
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 03:44:58 PM »

My side doesn't really exist as an organized political or ideological structure in the United States, even as a notable third party, so that's a bit frustrating.

Thank God for that.

Also, I agree on amoralism and moral relativism.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 09:12:16 PM »

My side doesn't really exist as an organized political or ideological structure in the United States, even as a notable third party, so that's a bit frustrating.

Thank God for that.

Yes, we're so much better off with Trumpism and the alt-right being represented but not any form of communitarianism. Roll Eyes

I'd rather have neither represented.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 09:22:22 PM »

1. Establishment of Constantinople as its own independent country and making it a Christian city.
2. Recognition of Taiwan as the True Heir to China.
3. Recognition of Tibet
4. Recognition of Biblical Israel and Naming it the Jewish State
5. Recognition of Kurdistan
6. Recognition of Bavaria

Huh
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 11:07:06 AM »

Thank God for that.

Yes, we're so much better off with Trumpism and the alt-right being represented but not any form of communitarianism. Roll Eyes

I'd rather have neither represented.

Genuine communitarianism - that is, an ideology somewhere between Nathan's, Intell's, and DC or TJ's - is great and I wish there was more of it in US political discourse.

What RI claims to be "communitarianism" is utterly awful and just another flavor of the horror that is the modern American right.

Yeah, I should have said that.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 11:17:29 PM »

Libertarians are plenty frustrating.  That's why the saying "it's like herding cats" is a true one.

The biggest one is this dumb battle over if Gary Johnson is a "real libertarian" or not or doesn't follow the principles 100% (like most really do? Yeah, right.) "No True Scotsman" in full effect!

Abortion being a divider.  Should just remove it from the platform and not even discuss it because one part of the libertarian movement or another won't agree.  When a question is posed just preface that this is your personal opinion.

To be fair, the abortion statement in the platform is honestly pretty neutral. Republicans/Consitution Party is all "You're killing life!", Democrats/Greens are all "Pro-Lifers are heartless/sexist/terrorists (Hillary has actually said that last one)", The libertarian platform on abortion is essentially "Government will do nothing because we have no idea what the right thing to do is."

Effectively, that's exactly the same as being pro-choice. Unless they're saying "leave it to the states" which is pretty stupid.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies