Redistricting Competition? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:37:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Redistricting Competition? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What state should we do? (only large states with 2016 results)
Georgia

Florida

Texas

Wisconsin

Michigan

Arizona

North Carolina

Other

Multiple states (post in thread)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Redistricting Competition?  (Read 2470 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« on: October 30, 2020, 12:17:03 PM »

Texas would be fun. I could go it a go. What redistricting guidelines do we have to follow?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 02:54:22 PM »

Okay, so it's now 4 days before the election so probably best to get this show on the road. Based on the poll results, we'll be maximizing Biden districts in North Carolina and Texas! All competitors with the willpower to do so are highly encouraged to make maps of these states. You can also submit additional maps, which will be considered for 'prizes' if more than one person submits maps for that state. I will be the referee - I will submit maps, but they will not be considered for prizes. DM me on Atlas with a link to your map by 4:00 PM PST on Tuesday, and after Election Night feel free to post your map here with #analysis and an image.

Anyway, here are the rules:

Rules
1. Districts will be drawn using 2010 Census numbers. This means that the number of districts drawn will be the current amount (i.e. the 2010 numbers - so 36-district Texas)
2. Districts will have a maximum population deviation of 1500 each. (some leeway may be given for urban districts with large precinct sizes)
3. All districts must be contiguous (this rule might be edited/given some leeway if we choose a state with messy precinct boundaries - like Ohio). Additionally, all districts must be contiguous by land or bridge (no abusing water precincts in coastal states). Road contiguity is encouraged but not required.
4. The DRA compactness score for the map must be over 30.
5. The DRA county splitting score for the map must be over 30.
6. The winner will be whoever draws the most Biden/Trump districts for their candidate. In the event of a tie, the DRA compactness and county splitting scores of each map will be averaged and used to determine the winner. If this is still tied, whichever map has more favorable partisan metrics for the candidate of choice will win.
7. All entries must be submitted to me by the state's poll closing time on November 3. Additionally, an image and description of your map should be posted on this thread, but after Election Night to avoid plagiarism.
8. Once 2020 data is released on DRA, the winner(s) shall be determined.

And these are the 'prizes':

Tom Delay Cup: Awarded to whoever draws the most Biden districts in Texas, while adhering to the above rules.

Bill Barr Cup: Awarded to whoever draws the most Biden districts in North Carolina, while adhering to the above rules.

Elbridge Gerry Cup: Special Contest! Whoever draws the most 2020 Trumpy district in Massachusetts (only rule is contiguity by land or bridge - no compactness, VRA, or splitting requirements, remainder of map required though) with 2010 populations wins!

Crack n'Pack Cup: Whoever wins the most contests in other states (FYI, maxxing Biden districts).

Does this sound good to everyone?

Ok I'm in. I'm giving TX a go and I have an idea
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies