Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 03:37:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 45
Author Topic: Pennsylvania 2010 - The Official Thread  (Read 115379 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: April 16, 2009, 08:40:11 AM »

Former Congressman Peterson wants Arlen out - http://www.rollcall.com/news/33989-1.html?type=printer_friendly

---

Peterson backed Specter in his hard-fought 2004 primary win against then-Rep. Pat Toomey (R). But the former six-term GOP lawmaker told Roll Call recently that the Senator can’t count on his endorsement again next year in his rematch with Toomey.

“If he asks for my support, I will tell him no,” Peterson said in a phone interview.
All but two of the Republicans in the Keystone State delegation, including Peterson, threw their support behind Specter instead of their House colleague in the 2004 race. Peterson did press conferences and cut television commercials with Specter, among other things, before Specter went on to win the primary by a mere 17,000 votes.

---

“I don’t think you’d find me supporting 80-year-olds for re-election,” Peterson said. “It’s not disrespect for him, but there is a time.”

Peterson did not say he would support Toomey in 2010, but said instead that the state Republican party would be well served to have a primary without Specter. He said his endorsement would depend on who else runs in the primary.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #376 on: April 16, 2009, 10:09:24 AM »

omfg Club for Growth just endorsed Toomey omfg
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #377 on: April 16, 2009, 10:10:48 AM »

omfg Club for Growth just endorsed Toomey omfg

NO WAI
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #378 on: April 16, 2009, 10:44:21 AM »

Since Sestak is currently sitting on $3 million, both TPM and Politico are floating him strongly as the leading non-Torsella Democrat, as of now.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #379 on: April 16, 2009, 10:50:28 AM »

Since Sestak is currently sitting on $3 million, both TPM and Politico are floating him strongly as the leading non-Torsella Democrat, as of now.

I think "the powers that be" are aiming for Schwartz but Sestak is certainly better statewide. I'd love a Sestak-Torsella primary though. Sestak would win but it would tear up certain constituencies.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #380 on: April 16, 2009, 11:14:58 AM »

Why is Specter still lying about the Rhode Island Senate race?

"Toomey represents the Club for Growth which has engaged in cannibalistic tactics. When they fought [now defeated GOP Senator Lincoln] Chafee in the Rhode Island primary, spent all his money, beat him in the general, that cost us control of the Senate. In the Senate…we would have controlled the Senate had we retained Chafee's seat in 2007 and 2008."

http://spectator.org/archives/2009/04/15/true-grit-specter-declares-war
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #381 on: April 17, 2009, 11:26:13 AM »

I think "the powers that be" are aiming for Schwartz but Sestak is certainly better statewide. I'd love a Sestak-Torsella primary though. Sestak would win but it would tear up certain constituencies.

I agree except for loving a Sestak-Torsella primary.  I would dare say Sestak is pretty much lights out regardless of who runs for the GOP.  Not so sure about Schwartz, but then again she has surprised even me in the past.  I thought the "she profited from an abortion clinic" and Raj's "Save the Northeast" ploy would have done more damage than I thought.  I never thought Raj was gonna win, but he had a lot of lawn signs.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #382 on: April 17, 2009, 11:31:39 AM »

I agree except for loving a Sestak-Torsella primary.  I would dare say Sestak is pretty much lights out regardless of who runs for the GOP.  Not so sure about Schwartz, but then again she has surprised even me in the past.  I thought the "she profited from an abortion clinic" and Raj's "Save the Northeast" ploy would have done more damage than I thought.  I never thought Raj was gonna win, but he had a lot of lawn signs.

It's going to be a long year and a half if you keep insisting on calling the seat "Safe Dem" so early (without knowing the climate, the campaigning abilities, the issues that come up, etc.).

Schwartz running in PA 13 is not the same as running statewide. I know not to underestimate her but I also know not to compare running here with running across the state.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #383 on: April 20, 2009, 10:42:03 AM »

It's not 2004 anymore, Arlen - http://www.rollcall.com/issues/54_116/politics/34069-1.html

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #384 on: April 20, 2009, 05:52:29 PM »

Why is Specter still lying about the Rhode Island Senate race?

"Toomey represents the Club for Growth which has engaged in cannibalistic tactics. When they fought [now defeated GOP Senator Lincoln] Chafee in the Rhode Island primary, spent all his money, beat him in the general, that cost us control of the Senate. In the Senate…we would have controlled the Senate had we retained Chafee's seat in 2007 and 2008."

http://spectator.org/archives/2009/04/15/true-grit-specter-declares-war

I dare say that Specter will continue to throw this one around to our chagrin. Specter has learned nothing and forgotten everything.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #385 on: April 20, 2009, 09:42:29 PM »

http://blog.aflcio.org/2009/04/20/specter-staff-threatens-to-trash-letters-in-support-of-employee-free-choice/

Toomey is right - Specter is a "sure fire loser" next year. Now the unions are pissed off and they'll be out for revenge. They're just the latest victims of Specter's backstabbing ways.

Barring something big, this guy can't rebound. He doesn't have a coalition anymore. If he's somehow re-nominated, tons of Republicans won't turn out/will skip the Senate race or even vote for the Dem and the unions will strongly back the Democratic challenger.

The man has finally dug his political grave.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #386 on: April 20, 2009, 10:09:33 PM »

http://blog.aflcio.org/2009/04/20/specter-staff-threatens-to-trash-letters-in-support-of-employee-free-choice/

Toomey is right - Specter is a "sure fire loser" next year. Now the unions are pissed off and they'll be out for revenge. They're just the latest victims of Specter's backstabbing ways.

Barring something big, this guy can't rebound. He doesn't have a coalition anymore. If he's somehow re-nominated, tons of Republicans won't turn out/will skip the Senate race or even vote for the Dem and the unions will strongly back the Democratic challenger.

Had Specter not supported the stimulus, this story would not exist.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #387 on: April 20, 2009, 10:11:15 PM »

Huh? Card Check wouldn't have been an issue?

Even if it wasn't, the unions would have been almost as angry at him for opposing the Stimulus.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #388 on: April 20, 2009, 10:18:05 PM »

Even if it wasn't, the unions would have been almost as angry at him for opposing the Stimulus.

I was more referencing to "The man has finally dug his political grave".  If Specter had not supported the stimulus, he would still have a shot at being elected.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #389 on: April 20, 2009, 10:19:31 PM »

I was more referencing to "The man has finally dug his political grave".  If Specter had not supported the stimulus, he would still have a shot at being elected.

A chance at being re-nominated? Sure. Toomey probably wouldn't have been a candidate. However, a vote against the Stimulus would have meant pissed off unions/Obama Administration.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #390 on: April 20, 2009, 10:23:17 PM »

He should be reanimated for his little "epiphany"  on card check actually. His party should reward him darn it, not punish him! There seems to be some sort of masochism abroad out there in my party. Part of my frustration I guess  is that the majority apparently of the GOP find important what I don't, and don't find important what I do. Boo!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #391 on: April 20, 2009, 10:26:53 PM »

He should be reanimated for his little "epiphany"  on card check actually. His party should reward him darn it, not punish him! There seems to be some sort of masochism abroad out there in my party. Part of my frustration I guess  is that the majority apparently of the GOP find important what I don't, and don't find important what I do. Boo!

Torie, with all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about regarding Specter. No, he shouldn't be rewarded because he flipped around on Card Check. He has screwed us far too many times over the years and he loves it.

He's been playing games for decades and revenge is long overdue. No one should expect us to suddenly like the guy because he was spineless (in our favor) on an issue because, as the General rolls around, he'll try to find a way to stick it to us to win back the other side.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #392 on: April 20, 2009, 10:27:52 PM »

I don't think Specter is toast if he does make it to the general, just because he's against card check.  He won't have his union minions like usual, but there's more that goes into how someone votes than just that.

Hopefully Sestak is the nominee though.  
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #393 on: April 20, 2009, 10:30:07 PM »

He won't have his union minions like usual, but there's more that goes into how someone votes than just that.

They'll be strongly against him and he won't have people like myself voting for him.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He'd be the second biggest threat for the GOP (Wagner being the biggest).
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #394 on: April 20, 2009, 10:30:38 PM »

A chance at being re-nominated? Sure. Toomey probably wouldn't have been a candidate. However, a vote against the Stimulus would have meant pissed off unions/Obama Administration.

I still believe that Specter could have done well in the Southeast even if he had voted for the stimulus.  I can't really back it up, but it's hard for me to imagine that the Dems who had voted for Specter in the past would refuse to vote for him over just one vote.  Besides, it's not like the Dems could paint Specter as a "right winger" or anything like that.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #395 on: April 20, 2009, 10:33:40 PM »

I still believe that Specter could have done well in the Southeast even if he had voted for the stimulus.  I can't really back it up, but it's hard for me to imagine that the Dems who had voted for Specter in the past would refuse to vote for him over just one vote.  Besides, it's not like the Dems could paint Specter as a "right winger" or anything like that.

If he voted for the Stimulus and Card Check wasn't an issue? Sure. They support the Stimulus down here. That being said, the Dems don't spare anyone these days. Sure, heavyweight Dems would have avoided the race but he could still be out run by someone like State Representative Josh Shapiro. The bottom line would be that the Dems need the seat and Specter is not a Dem. Add that with the fact that GOP turnout for Arlen would be seriously depressed and he'd struggle to hang on.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #396 on: April 20, 2009, 10:36:22 PM »

Why doesn't Torsella have a website, can't he spend some of his $600k on one?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #397 on: April 20, 2009, 10:38:30 PM »

Torie, with all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about regarding Specter. No, he shouldn't be rewarded because he flipped around on Card Check. He has screwed us far too many times over the years and he loves it.

He's been playing games for decades and revenge is long overdue. No one should expect us to suddenly like the guy because he was spineless (in our favor) on an issue because, as the General rolls around, he'll try to find a way to stick it to us to win back the other side.

Well, I have 'known' Arlen since rocks cooled  -  the good, the bad and the ugly (with the real ugly being his pathetic performance during the Bork nomination hearings, when he revealed himself to be a mediocre lawyer at best).  So with all due respect, I think I do know what I am talking about. You just don't agree with it.  Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #398 on: April 20, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »

Why doesn't Torsella have a website, can't he spend some of his $600k on one?

I honestly don't think he expects to stay in this much longer. The minute Schwartz declares (if she does), watch for him to suddenly have second thoughts about this race. Or even if she doesn't run, he might not want to face Shapiro. Josh will simply out run Torsella with the base. Torsella might score some big machine endorsements and do well with the moderate to conservative Dems outside of the SE and Pittsburgh but that won't be enough. Shapiro is the star and would likely whip Torsella pretty badly.

Well, I have 'known' Arlen since rocks cooled  -  the good, the bad and the ugly (with the real ugly being his pathetic performance during the Bork nomination hearings, when he revealed himself to be a mediocre lawyer at best).  So with all due respect, I think I do know what I am talking about. You just don't agree with it.  Smiley

Just don't make it out to be that we, as PA Republicans, owe this man anything. We don't and we know he'll only screw us again if we are stupid enough to re-nominate him.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #399 on: April 20, 2009, 10:46:37 PM »

Those who care about card check with my opinion on the matter owe him something Phil. Are there no Torie Republicans in PA anymore?  Where have all the flowers gone?  Sad
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies